Things that continue to be right…or things that float your 🐐

Attention economy.

Libertarianism says the only determinant of the worth of an opinion is the amount of reaction it generates.

Libertarianism is probably the most dangerous idea in history.

That’s where our information space is now and it’s where Iwan is.

The good the bad and the ugly on TG4

4 Likes

French wimmin never wear bras it’s tit n nipple Monday everyday here in sunny Marseille

2 Likes

They’re very keen on au naturale in general. Hairiest women around.

“Paddy in France seeks hanger for duffle coat” type of post there….

2 Likes

England in a nutshell. A thing of beauty played by a band of anorak clad amateurs in a grim ugly town Square, largely ignored by the brexity types passing by.

4 Likes

That’s a beautiful tune.

1 Like

Fairly quaint looking town too if you don’t mind my saying @flattythehurdler

This was a great version of it for the COVID cup final

2 Likes

It really is. The full monty scene is one of the most beautiful scenes ever shot in cinema.
I was brought a couple of times to the whit Friday band walks up in saddleworth,which my friend drily observed “is the only thing that passes for culture round 'ere”.
An odd but really quite lovely tradition where brass bands from all over the UK come and play. There are basically about 8 or 10 venues, each at a pub from what I could make out. The bands from all over (often as not old mining towns) walk to each and line up to play their tune. They don’t get paid. I don’t even think they get a prize. At each venue, there’s a judging committee who can’t see them, but decide on a winner. It goes on for a few hours, and the crowd who gather at whichever venue is their favourite get gradually drunker.
The bands are sublime. All shapes and sizes. All excellent. The judging must be fairly random as apparently they are drinking more than anyone.
The bands are all dressed up in beautiful uniforms, which must in themselves cost a fortune.
I wonder about how they recruit and retain, how they train, how they fund, how they have the will to keep going, and fervently hope it never dies out, as such things of beauty should be nurtured, but they are surely swimming against the tide.
It makes you realise that music can bring beauty to the grimmest of the dark satanic mills.
It elevates humans, both those who play, and those who listen.

8 Likes

That goes to show that with a beautiful voice, and a beautiful tune, the song just needs to be sung, not accessorised with twiddly notes and heavy breathing.

Jenkins?

??not sure I get you

Here it is. As beautiful a piece of filmmaking as there is.

2 Likes

Who were you on about?It’s a bit like the Star Spangled Banner,just needs to be sung.This is undoubtedly the greatest rendition

A proper English brass band is wonderful.

I remember, years ago, a Salvation Army brass band playing Christmas songs. It was in London. I was very hungover. It’s one of my favourite memories of hearing music.

1 Like

I was on about singing in general. A great song needs nothing but a great voice.

1 Like

Brassed Off was a decent film made on the subject back in the 90s. Stephen Tomplinkson and Pete Postlewaite were in it. On the downside one of your favourite actors Ewan McGregor may have been in it too

3 Likes

Whitney was immense :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

How cool would that have been, never seen it before, outstanding.