Things that continue to be right…or things that float your 🐐

Ya right, that’s why they’re floating across the Mediterranean on bits of timber.

6 Likes

You should have hired in a lad to count it for €20 and saved the difference

They must make huge money out of those machines, money for nothin. Mad banks don’t have them for deposits.

1 Like

God bless Norm

5 Likes

Assume they have the hassle of sorting and bagging them after. I’d say bank would hardly take bags of coins off you these days

I’m sure they must be required to accept legal tender if you have it counted.

They still take them alright but they make it fine and awkward

1 Like

They’ll charge you to take them.
Best option is a shop.

Since rounding to 5 cent was introduced, no shop wants the 1 & 2 cents

The milkman used get mine. But he stopped delivering to us.
I wonder why?

Counted and in full bags

1 Like

What shop had the machine?

SuperValu Sutton

1 Like

The recorded Sunday Game of a Monday evening. The fast forward function sped me rapidly past Eamon Fitzmaurice’s recant of the death notices onto the following segment…
Glenn Ryan moaning (rightly IMO) but it came across as sour grapes and we move seamlessly onto the stick-fighting segment…….

All this augmented with a quick whizzer and a slow Danno (large bottle of stout for the uninitiated)….:+1:

9 Likes

Woman tasered bank official after home was repossessed, court told (breakingnews.ie)

at last a banker gets punished

6 Likes

10 Likes

Could somebody do the needful?

1 Like

here you go kiid

Slumdog superstar: from homeless street food vendor to Indian cricket’s next big thing

As a child Yashasvi Jaiswal moved to Mumbai and bet on his talent. He won.

Simon Wilde

, Cricket Correspondent

Sunday May 07 2023, 12.01am BST, The Sunday Times

Cricket

India

Jaiswal was signed by Rajasthan Royals for $327,000, 12 times his auction base price

Jaiswal was signed by Rajasthan Royals for $327,000, 12 times his auction base price

PUNIT PARANJPE/AFP/GETTY IMAGES

Save

When a 21-year-old cricketer blazed a 53-ball century in the Indian Premier League last weekend at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai, an innings that included a mighty blow out of the ground off England’s fast bowler Jofra Archer, it brought a remarkable life story full circle.

As a small child, Yashasvi Jaiswal lived for years in a tent on the Azad Maidan, a sports ground barely half a mile from the stadium, scraping a living selling street food while he practised cricket.

Now he is the new sporting darling of his country with moneymaking opportunities piling up and the cricketing world seemingly at his feet.

Yashasvi Jaiswal greets his friend Raju Bhai at the Azad Maidan sports ground in Mumbai, where they both sold pani puri. Jaiswal is now seen as a “superstar in the making”

SATYABRATA TRIPATHY/GETTY IMAGES

“What a story, what a special talent,” the former Australia batsman and ex-IPL coach Tom Moody tweeted. “Yashasvi Jaiswal is a superstar in the making,”

Jaiswal began life in Bhadohi, a remote community somewhere between a village and a tiny town in Uttar Pradesh, nearly 1,000 miles from Mumbai. His father, Bhupendra, a shopkeeper and keen amateur cricketer, turned a small patch of land in front of the family home into a mini cricket ground, complete with halogen lights, so that Jaiswal and his elder brother Tejasvi could practise before dawn and long into the evening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Before he turned ten it was clear that Jaiswal’s talent had outgrown the local circuit.

His father agreed to take him to India’s biggest city to see if he could make it there, the city of his hero Sachin Tendulkar, India’s greatest batsman.

Early on, Jaiswal lived with a relative in a small house that proved too crowded to accommodate him, and then in a dairy shop in Kalbadevi, not far from the Azad Maidan, where for a while he worked long hours but also found time to play cricket.

At some point he lost his job there and his uncle directed him to the Muslim United cricket club, where the groundsmen agreed to give him shelter by the side of the pitches. He stayed there for the next three years.

“I moved into a tent with the groundsmen,” Jaiswal told a BBC podcast in 2020. “They told me if I wanted to live in their tent, I had to score runs. I thought it would be good for me to live near the ground because I could wake up and go to practise.” He fetched balls and helped with scoring for a fee and topped up his earnings selling pani puri, a popular street food, made by candlelight in the tent.

Often there was not enough left over to feed himself. He grew used to going to sleep hungry and sometimes cried from homesickness, but he hid his penury from team-mates at the club and his family and refused to give up his ambition.

Outside the tent where he used to live. He said he would often go to sleep hungry

“I didn’t tell people what was going on because I knew they would have told me to come home. I just told them I was fine. I just wanted to play cricket but in India, in a village, it’s not easy. My seniors were telling me if you want to play, go to Mumbai.”

Once, when his father came to take him home, Jaiswal responded by scoring 319 not out and taking 13 wickets in a match, and his father relented.

ADVERTISEMENT

In December 2013, when he was 12, Jaiswal was spotted by Jwala Singh, a local coach who had also come to Mumbai as a child with high hopes of making a career in the sport.

“I saw in Yashasvi a younger me and thought God is giving me another chance to play well in my second innings of life,” Singh, who played state-level cricket, said in 2020. He took Jaiswal under his wing and the boy eventually moved in with his family.

Jaiswal began a rapid climb through the ranks. He was picked by Mumbai Under-16s in 2015 and four years later he was signed by Rajasthan Royals of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for $327,000, 12 times his auction base price.

The tournament has thrown up several rags-to-riches tales but Jaiswal’s is the most luminous, with his toil selling pani puri echoing the story of Jamal Malik, the hero of the 2008 Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire, who worked as a chaiwala in a call centre before winning the jackpot on a TV game show.

Going into this weekend’s IPL games, Jaiswal was the second highest run-scorer in the tournament and easily Rajasthan’s leading batsman, ahead of England white-ball captain Jos Buttler, who conceded that he had learnt things from Jaiswal as well as Jaiswal learning from him. “It’s a two-way relationship,” Buttler said, adding: “He has an insatiable appetite to learn.”

Jaiswal is more than just a T20 prodigy. He has aspirations to play 100 Tests and although he has not yet played international cricket he has an astonishing record in four-day cricket in India, scoring nine centuries in 26 first-class innings at an average of 80.21.

Taking a break from practice sessions. He is said to have “an insatiable appetite to learn”

In the most recent of these games, the Irani Trophy match last month, he scored 213 and 144. It is possible, therefore, that he could be selected for India’s tour of the West Indies in July.

ADVERTISEMENT

He now has a management team working on his development on and off the field, hence Rajasthan’s owner Manoj Badale bringing him to the UK last year “to give him experiences beyond cricket”. As Zubin Bharucha, Rajasthan’s director of cricket, said: “If you want to build a champion, it takes a village.”

Bharucha recalls first seeing Jaiswal at a Rajasthan trial in Mumbai after word got around of a youngster playing well on the city’s maidans. Rajasthan were also in need of left-handed batsmen. “He faced the first ball of the morning, walked across his stumps and flicked it over fine leg for four without batting an eyelid, and I thought, ‘I don’t need to see any more,’ ” Bharucha told the Analyst Inside Cricket podcast.

Jaiswal subsequently became the youngest batsman in the world to score a double-century in 50-overs cricket, and one of the stars of India’s Under-19 World Cup win in South Africa.

By this time, Rajasthan had signed him and discovered that for all his talent his technique was far from conventional. “He couldn’t play traditional shots on the leg side,” Bharucha said. What struck Bharucha most was Jaiswal’s determination to improve his game. “His dedication to practise and play is second to none and I’ve seen Sachin Tendulkar and [former Indian captain] Rahul Dravid closely. This guy is even a notch above in his willingness to go where other players don’t want to go.”

Before the Irani Trophy, he practised at the Mumbai Gymkhana against ten bowlers armed with 25 new balls on a grassy pitch, just to get him used to the moving ball.

His innings of 124 in the IPL contained 112 runs in fours and sixes, and after the game Rohit Sharma, the Mumbai Indians captain, expressed surprise at Jaiswal’s enhanced strength. It was the result of months in the gym and range-hitting with different weighted bats.

“I haven’t found a more dedicated student,” Bharucha said.

Celebrating after scoring a century last weekend

RAJANASH KAKADE/AP

ADVERTISEMENT

Jwala Singh attributes Jaiswal’s fearlessness to his hard upbringing: “Of course he had the talent and courage to take on senior boys,” he told The Indian Express. “Once I put him against a strong side. He was not even rattled. I asked him, ‘Aren’t you nervous?’ He replied, ‘I found surviving in this city very challenging. Here I just need to score runs, sir. I can handle this.’

These days the coach would prefer to keep the attention on the hard work that Jaiswal has put in to improve rather than his early struggles. But he is well aware of how extraordinary his protége’s story is. “At 11, who comes to a city like Mumbai with a dream of playing for India? It happens only in Bollywood movies.”

2 Likes

What are you prospecting for?
Contentment.

Some line

1 Like