Tipperary GAA 2019

Correct. There are a lot of decent/good senior club teams in Tipp. However there are not the very good teams capable of winning provincal club championships. For example the top 4 in Limerick are all arguably better than what Tipp has. However there is a greater depth of good/decent clubs than other counties.

1 Like

There’s at least 3 clubs in Clare who would beat whatever club Tipp send through in Munster. Ballygunnar and about 3 in Limerick would all beat the best Tipp club too imo. When Thurles in their pomp lost to DLS and Kilcormac it says it all.

Borrisoleigjh in 1987 are the last tipperary club to win an all Ireland . Toom reached a final in mid nineties .

Nenagh are awful bottlers. I would have fancied them to give Na Piarsaigh a competitive game (eventually losing by 5 or 6) last year if they had won the county final, but for the third time in 5 years they shit themselves in a narrow loss in a county final. Clonoulty ended up going out looking like a junior team. Probably the weakest ever county champions from any county.

I’d much rather a competitive championship where 10 teams have a chance as it is in Tipp now than 3 or 4 hammering the rest. Much better now than when Sars were walking it every year

Just coming in here to this thread to have a peep and immediately I’m awash with my own Tipperaryness surging forth from my pores, inspiring and strengthening my inner core.

My grandfather was a great man and he was a Tipperary man through and through. I have a tremendous pride in my heritage and the Tipperary blood that flows through my veins gives me great heart.

2 Likes

Yeah I remember it, they lost to Joe Cooney’s Sars. They were well ahead until they started flaking for no reason, got a man sent off and shat the togs from there in. I saw them play Athenry in the Park a good while back and the same thing. Thought they were tough and shat themselves once again.
Toomevara did play an outstanding game v Ballyhale one year where they just hurled and played really well but once again emptied the togs towards the end.

They’d an awful habit of using too much timber and that often proved to be their undoing.

1 Like

Yeah I agree because the day they played the star studded Ballyhale team they could and should have won and played lovely hurling. If they had stuck to that they would have won at least 1 All-Ireland.

They had a lad at the back Tommy Delaney I think? He was as hard as nails and not afraid to dish it out. Cloonan was well warned ahead of that match in Ennis and pulled an awful stroke on him early to set down a marker. Toome just went postal then after that and lost as usual.

1 Like

I think Kiladangan are the team to watch this year.

Agree with that. Clare championship has had a great mix of winners over the past 20 years. I think the mix of winners in Tipp will spread out over the next decade. I’d imagine Kildangan and Kilruane will pick up wins soon enough.

Tony Delaney. A serious player bit he wouldn’t think twice of cutting you in half.

It’s always cyclical. In the mid-2000s, the Limerick senior Championship was won by 5 different teams in a row including first ever wins for Bruree and Garryspillane. And it was very open around that time.

But the general standard is higher now for sure.

What’s Intermediate in Tipp like?

Completely fucked. Glorified Junior A. Ballinahinch won a couple of North Intermediates recently and they were only ever a junior team. Seamus O’Rain (Senior B) is the real intermediate standard championship in Tipp. Intermediate in all but name.

That’s a good shout.

Can you win the senior county from senior B?

Yes through the divisions. Whoever wins the south will be a senior B side as Killenaule are the only Senior A team in the south and Swan beat them the other night in a semi

Tommy Dunne got sent off in that match vs Ballyhale when they were going very well. Not the first time indiscipline cost them, as you stated previously.

1 Like

Played in Portlaoise right?

Yeah I think it was 2007