Tipperary GAA 2021

Heā€™s either a starter or first sub on for Tipp Seniors.

Heā€™s not breaking any rule playing for Commercials. I suppose he doesnā€™t want to be playing for Loughmore/JKB one week in football and play against them in hurling with Drom the following week.

He might as well collect a south and county medal while heā€™s on his travels as an isolated player.

12 Commercials on the senior panel and Seamus Kennedy. They should really be better than they are if anything

Its an absolute farce how some of these transfers are going through.
Commercials have also signed a played who played with Donegal only a few years ago. Ciaran Cannon. Think he is only 28 and would still have plenty to offer. I think McKeever is from Donegal so knows the scene up there and maybe this lad was brought down and might throw his hat in with Tipp. Anyway Commercials going from strength to strength. They could have 2 senior football teams next year. But it is not good for competition and slightly depressing if you are from another club.

1 Like

Have Moyle Rovers given up on it?

Loughmore are the only club capable of toppling Commercials in the short term. They were desperately unlucky last year. Youā€™d really fancy them to do it on a tight pitch like Cashel.

They have Sean Carey back this year anyway

Not really no but they are a club where there is a lot of internal politics and divided camps. They have Sean Carey back now so he might be an addition to them again but its very hard to compete with Commercials if you are any team really. They have an intercounty training set up and have huge financial backing. It is not every club that have players using GPS tags on jerseys during training and 2 S&C guys monitoring. We played them in intermediate football recently and all their selectors and coaches were micā€™d up. Its not every club that have financial clout like that or club members in positions of power to sort players out with jobs around town.

@johnnysachs, how are ye fixed now these days? I can remember a big furore when ye beat them in a championship game around 08/09. The Nationalist must have carried three pages on it with pictures alone.

Surely Drom are regrading as opposed to not fielding any football team at all? He should be made play junior b if Drom put a team out

I think if they had any kind of team he couldnā€™t move? Or is it different because Commercials are a football only club?

I would imagine Drom are pulling out totally because they know with the way the club championship will be run, football is likely to get in the way of their hurling progress.

Kildangan did the same last year and it worked quite well for them.

Yeah we have lost 2 county finals narrowly in past 4 years so we are not that far away from potentially going back up. After each of those losses there was a down year after so I expect to challenge this year again and most lads are putting in the work this early part of the season. We would have 9 or 10 promising U21ā€™s on the panel so hopefully they will kick on now. There will we a couple of intercounty minors coming through next year as well - Niall O Connor and Darragh McVicker are as good as whats out there so we should be OK. Galtee Rovers might be team to beat this year. I heard they have Alan O Connor on board and a couple of fellas in with the Tipp seniors. Yeah the Halcyon days of 09. Great to have those memories. We were never going to win anything up senior but its great to have a few scalps under the belt like that. Wont ever forget that summers evening in Fethard.

3 Likes

No if they had a junior C football team he would still have to play with Drom.

Yeah Galtee will be hard bet. Youā€™d imagine they will get everyone on board like some older lads as well as soccer lads when there is a sniff of silverware.

Good to hear ye are going well. The town needs two good teams. Ye had a raft of decent footballers around 09. I reckon 4/5 of them played senior. Aylward was a loss for club and county when he hit to Oz.

Colin English going to Commericials?

Yeah I think they still have the Morrisseys knocking around, Shane Egan, Shane Ryan etc. They are always hard beat. Conor O Sullivan might be back in with Tipp footballers as well after a couple of injuries.
Yeah Alyward was a huge loss. We lost more than him to Australia though. Some real good footballers. Recession hit us fairly bad around that time. How are ye set for the coming year?

Ah we are coming to the end of a golden generation. They have won three west hurling and one football as well as taking great scalps in the county championship getting to the semi final stage in both a few times. Most of the lads who will start this year will be closer to 15 than 10 years playing senior in both codes. They owe the club nothing but as the late Eamon Ryan once said you gain momentum going down the hill.

A full in-house mgmt team this year. I think the physio is the only outside man. They would be well got and seem a good mix. Hurling will take up 95% of the effort with the football thrown in on football championship weeks. We used to be competitive in it, but older legs take the football week off to stay right. They are well capable of beating anyone on the hurling on their day.

2 Likes

For football in Tipp?

Whoā€™s over them this year? Youā€™d hope they could squeeze one more West and have a run in the county.