Tipperary GAA 2021

I actually think you do need a lot now. This is firstly due to the change at minor from under 18 to under 17. Secondly in the past a lot of “good players” were playing adult hurling at 15/16/17. This is now no longer the case until they are under 18. In bigger clubs many of these lads cant get straight into the 1st team.

Harty cup allows for this exposure to top level hurling before under 20/3rd level/senior club. Players without it stagnate. It is also character building hurling played in winter.

There are only three real Harty cup schools in Tipp. Nenagh, Templemore and Thurles. The latter two are only separated by a few miles. Huge swathes of the county are not represented. For the last 10 years Cork teams have generally provided the vast majority of teams particularly in the latter stages. The dam was going to burst at Cork underage success at some stage due to that.

I fully agree that it must be supported by school mgmt. Denis Ring in Colmans and Blackwater, Jordan and O Mahony in CBC, Ard Scoil in LK. I believe a returning principal in Thurles from secondment is a big problem there now as he has no idea what a hurling is.

1 Like

How often would for example Thurles CBS teams at the different age grades train in a week? Our best underage hurler (Liam Cahill’s son as it happens) is going there next year and I’d wonder if lads would be better off being the best player on a local school team and playing up the grades or being thrown in corner forward on a star studded team

Pros and cons to everything. You can develop very bad habits when star on inferior team. Get into good school with right structures and you will develop correctly.

3 Likes

I would say they train the same as most schools, 2 or 3 times a week.

The problem with Thurles is they could have up to 50 on a Harty Cup panel and that means there’s a lot of good players there getting no game and becoming disillusioned.

1 Like

Where would the Ballingarry lads go to school? Scoil Ruain or Callan?

Almost all go to the school in Ballingarry now. Small few to Killenaule. I think most from Mullinahone and St Pat’s go to Ballingarry now too since the school got renovated and extended a few years ago

Wouldn’t be like a Cahill to turn up in Thurles…

5 Likes

Arrabawn COOP?

Wasn’t the 05 Sars team known as Thurles CBS. With the CBS standing for Clonoulty - Ballingarry - Sars due to their influx of imports from those parts.

1 Like

That was 2009. Think Cahill left again after that.

They went into the market again in 2010 when Mikey O’Brien joined all the way from Clonmel.

2 Likes

Gone before you throw him under the bus again you bollox

Lookit, mistakes were made. Its time for everyone to move on. We got the Portlaoise man back in charge and ran the copper.

I was talking to my friends in Dalkey not that long ago and the word is, that Eddie has Cuala absolutely flying this year.

Is Con giving it full go ??

Presume so. Didn’t hear that he wasn’t anyway.

TJ laid a lot of the groundwork for Limerick’s current success.

He can turn Tipperary into a competitive hurling team again. A tough job, but TJ may be the best candidate.

Cahill might stay where he is in Waterford for now.

Might be better waiting 2 or 3 years for the Tipperary job until they have more to work with.

If he can persuade Donie to come on board they may have the necessary mental powers to tap into the Tipp psyche

1 Like

It’ll be all done and dusted by the weekend :popcorn:

Good call. TJ and Donie would be a super management team to get the tipp lads motivated about hurling again.

Hurling needs a competitive tipp. :+1: