Tipperary GAA 2024

I saw Brackens about a month back and was impressed with them. Comfortable working the ball and had a threat with Ormond inside.

They play with only two inside and when you curtail Ormonde they can struggle to get a score up. Not an easy team to play against though, generally in the game going down the straight.

There’s a second Ormonde, Jamie who is in his first year playing adult hurling that is excellent.

They were playing an out-and-out sweeper that day alright but were picking off scores from distance through Fairbrother and McBride (I think that was his name). Paddy Cadell was carrying a lot of ball too but didn’t score much.

Ormonde isn’t easily curtailed at club level though; although if you do give the other team a sweeper, I guess there’s ways of targeting that but he created goal chances that night.

1 Like

Not too many of the Tipp lads have gone to America for the cash.

Is there new rules with the sanctions these days?

Mark Kehoe prob the only high profile player gone.

1 Like

It’s more a reflection tipp haven’t the youngest
Of squads really I’d say more than anything.

Ya, a good few of them went in 2022. I’m not sure there’s as many Irish in the USA to sustain the astronomical fees lads were getting before.

I was reading earlier Chicago gaa had 195 at summer camp for five days between the ages of 5-14.

Anyone I know going on a j1 nowadays is heading to the west coast. Regulations have got tighter too. Your only allowed so many transfers.

A load went last year across the board- Calum Lyons, Mark Ellis & Sean O’Leary Hayes were the only biggish names I saw from a quick scan of the sanctions list for this year.

Maybe you’ll get a few going for July. There are shorter visas being given out in some instances.

The west coast is limited to SF hurling wise and there is only two clubs who have 8 senior & junior sanctions plus unlimited j1 sanctions but you need 3 or 4 home based players on the field at all times.

Tipp Boston folded when 4 or 5 of their home based players came home or moved to Oz.

There’s less clubs than before and less lads willing to throw money at it.

I follow some of the Boston football clubs and there’s very few star transfers even playing that.

Ya gaa isn’t as strong so I guess a little less appealing. I’ve a pal lining out for New York now. He’s well looked after.

I do feel like there was a huge amount last year or maybe it was 2022 in the post-Covid year?

You still get a good few lads just heading to Australia although I saw a few on the list of young fellas in Limerick coming back home who’ll be nice boosts to their clubs.

I’m not sure they’re less willing I just don’t think it’s as practical to fuck cash lads at it for a few weeks. They defo changed the rules so you can’t be bringing in too many.

Is there much gaa setting up in Australia yet? Seems to be a lot of ladies stuff anyway

It’s simple demographics, the 35-50 year old construction workers are now in Oz or Canada. There’s huge competition in Oz trying to sign lads up to their clubs.

There still a lot of Irish over. I couldn’t believe it in Boston. It’s more Irish than Ireland.

Ya sure the lads in America prob saved up and there was 2/3 years of young lads willing to go.

Some of the suns lads were paid even going back to the late 2010s were outrageous. Donegal Boston used to take the biscuit.

1 Like

I watched some of it on Clubber and had to mute it quicksmart given the standard of commentary from the usual suspect

It is but there’s not as many young people going over, the amount of pure Irish bars is prob only a quarter of what was there in the 90s.