Tipperary GAA 2024

Amazing that Hayes Hotel can’t make the top 2.

Still working in Nancy’s.

Is Paul Curran the oldest outfield player in the senior championship?

1 Like

Peter or Niall? I played with the county U21s with Peter. He was some full back. He was captain that year.

Yes I can’t even think of any player even close to him in age still playing senior. Had a look through the programme there - Brendan Cummins and Thomas Costello still togging for Ballybacon and Cappawhite - some servants

2 Likes

Curran must be 42 at least this year. Unreal stuff.

Paddy McCormack still in goals for Thurles. He must be 40 and has given some service.

McCormack is around 42 I’d say - has been Sars goalie since 2003 - not sure did Bill McCormack dislodge him at any stage during that time, be some going to be goalie for your club for 23 consecutive years.

1 Like

I thought McCormack was Minor in 2002.

Don’t think he’s ever missed a championship match for Sars.

There was talks of him being unsurped by Willie Tierney around 2019 but it never happened.

1 Like

Paddy is 40. Hurled freshers with him. Great man in small company.

1 Like

Jaysus, he must be 45/46 now.

Minor in 96

That’s what I was working off!

He’d a bad leg break around 2011/12 I think. An absolute dog.

That was a good minor team. A few westies too. Bonny Kennedy was some talent back then.

And of course Eugene.

Curran was minor in 1999 so will be 43 this year, just a quick search afterwards there is no other outfielders in their 40s playing senior hurling.

The vast majority of the 2006 minor team are still hurling club at senior/premier intermediate level.

There’s not many that I know of in the gap in between across the grades bar Conor O Brien for Eire og & Darragh hickey for Boherlahen.

3 Likes

What was the story with him back in the day? 2008 or so… Didn’t make the 26 (actually it might have been 30) and wouldn’t do the hurleys or waters and Sheedy cut him then.

Something along those lines, he was also crippled with injuries during his prime years. Took a couple of years off I think and has been rejuvenated as Boherlahen won the junior A & intermediate county titles.

Was class in that loss to Wexford.

Paddy Stapleton has dropped down to Junior for Borrisileigh this year and Conor O’Mahony seems to have retired for Newport this season.

Shane McGrath is still togging for Ballinahinch i believe.

McGrath is in goals for Ballinahinch.

COM could be forced out of retirement yet!

Conor Gleeson was retired for half a decade before Boherlahen eventually relinquished their senior status. Still fit enough to play.

1 Like

Johnny Gleeson named for Killenaule. He’s 40 too. Decent club hurler dogged by injuries.