Tipperary v's Waterford

There should be a huge build up to this game with the winners more than likely being the last obstacle for Kilkenny in their search for immortality and the coveted 5 in a row.

I feel that Waterford have had the indian sign over Tipp over the last decade especially when it matters most but the winning of that match yesterday was a huge physcological victory that can hopefully drive this young team on to new heights.

Waterford’s defense could well strangle the life out of Tipp, tipp will need their half backline and half forward line to really up it if they are to win…

Tipp will win this one. trust me

Brick Walsh needs to be stopped.Not one puck out should be aimed down on top of him.Bonnar Maher to pick him up in any case and please God we’ll have Kerwick back to take Tony Browne on a tour of Croke Park.

Would seriously consider switching Conor O Mahoney with Paudie Maher as well.Dont think Tipp management will be naive as corks were.There was a natural inclination for Cussen,McCarthy etc to drift infield because they are not natural wing forwards. This made it very easy for Waterford backs, but I think Tipp will not fall into that trap and opt to keep it as wide as possible and run at them.

Yep. Revenge for 08 will be sweet.

Even if he is fit I would be shocked if they started him, he has little or no hurling done this year…Tony Browne will hold his position no matter where his man roams to, the midfield/half forward line will drop deep to stop the likes of Maher and Ryan hoovering up loose ball

If Clinton Hennessy starts they may as well forget about it. They’d be as well off playing Cian Foley or HangBlaa in goals as him…

Huh?

What’s wrong with Clinton ? Didn’t put a foot wrong this year, in fact when we get to the all Ireland I fully expect him to pick up the all star for this year

Huh?

What’s wrong with Clinton ? Didn’t put a foot wrong this year, in fact when we get to the all Ireland I fully expect him to pick up the all star for this year

Exactly. Suggesting that Tony Browne will be taken on a tour anywhere is a bit of a brainless one. As I said before the Galway game this one will be an interesting clash of tactics and for me a bigger test of Tipp’s fibre than even yesterday. Galway are a team with neither real belief nor real experience. Waterford have both. Plus they will play a vastly superior support game to Galway even if they are in some positions more technically limited. There were times yesterday when Galway backs were bottles up with no one to help them, that won’t happen with Waterford. And not only will Brick Walsh win at least as much ball as Tony Og Regan, he will distribute it much better as well.

What really matters though is the other end, because if Tipp can build from the back they will find a way through Waterford enough times to win the game. The way to beat Tipp (if you don’t have six self-sufficient scoring forwards like Kilkenny) is to force them to clear long ball. If they can only manage 50/50 possession out of defence then they will lose because their forwards in the main are finishers and not ball winners. This is the crucial battle as I see it. Molumphy, Seamus Prendergast, Kevin Moran, and Shane Walsh don’t match Tannion, Andy Smith, Chunky, and Damien Hayes for finishing but they do fulfill their primary supporting roles better. Not only that, but they are far better tacklers, primary ball winners, and grafters. I simply don’t see them not outworking Tipp.

Forwards wise Tipp have the edge on class, but in true Davy Fitz trained fashion Waterford have been very economical this year. Tipp less so but you’d still see them creating more chances. The truth is, given the same standard and quality of ball the Tipp fowards will get a better return. The big question is will Waterford let this happen?

Seamus Callanan to start

He didn’t do much yesterday when he came on (bar the goal)

A fair point runt, he isn’t the solution to their problem and I’d have my doubts of him up against say the brick walsh but I still think he will start , mind I did question sheedys subs yeaterday on this forum

Waterford will be very hard bet.

Yesterday’s game was a great spectacle. Exciting & entertaining. The best team probably won but mainly because Galway handed it to them, right after Tipp tried to hand it to Galway. The game was there for the taking for both sides in the 2nd half but neither of them had the confidence to go and take it.

I don’t think this Waterford team will allow the game to develop like that. It’s the best organised I’ve ever seen them. They look solid at the back for the first time in about 10 years.

If Tipp bring a good hard working attitude to the game their quality might see them through. If they don’t then Waterford will strangle the life out of them

its streching it abit to call tannion, smyth and chunky finishers… the 3 of them should be finished at intercounty level. tipp will be doing very well to get over waterford.

Was very confident of beating Cork, we just have better hurlers than them. Not so confident against Tipp though, but reckon we can squeek it. Backs are playing super, but the alround work rate and tackling of Waterford if unreal, an intensity I have only seen from KK in recent years, but also from Tipp in the first 20 minutes of the second half of last years final. Tipp have it in them, or at least they did, the questions is, did KK bury it for good, or will Sunday wake it up again.

I do think waterford will improve from the munster finals, there is an unbelievebaly drive in them this year, and there is the fact that we have beaten Tipp every time it really mattered. Waterford by 2 in a suprisingly highscoring game… circa 25 points agg scored by the winner.

Aside, @ Dunph… I could do a job in goal.

Davy Fitz’s tactic of bringing back the half forward line should play into the hands of a slow player like Conor O’Mahony who need just hold his position and he could be pucking balls all day. Has Mullane ever played well in Croke Park by the way? Think Waterford will really need him to fire if they are to win.

Still cant believe Waterford are 12/1 to win the All Ireland and Tipp 7/2. Waterford great value as a back to lay imo as very little between the sides.

Waterford 5/2!

Crazy odds.

I really don’t think so Cluain. The Waterford tactics won’t work in CP IMO, and if they revert to a more traditional set up they’ll get eaten alive.
There are question marks over Tipp, but they answered a couple of those Sunday. waterford do have a good back line and midfield, but they’ll need far more from Molumphy (i know he’s playing a slightly defensive role) and Kelly in particular. The fact is young McGrath starting or still coming on isn’t a great sign for me. I think Davy needs to go with O’ Halloran or someone more dangerous.

I know Dan got the goal the last day, but i really don’t see him having an impact against the Tipp backs, who are top class IMO, despite a slight off day the last day, mainly by two players.

I think people are completely forgetting the low standard of the Munster Finals.

I with Kev on this. The standard of hurling in the Munster Championship was very low this year. Sure the two finals were exciting but the actual hurling was poor. Granted Waterford have a solid set of backs, and I was raving about Conors last week, but I still think they are well off what’s needed to beat Tipp. Tipp have been able to quietly build away now for the past couple of months and that game Sunday will have brought them on the world.

Also for the sake of the AI final I hope Tipp win as I don’t see this Waterford team being able to put it up to Kilkenny.