Tommy Cooper

Never heard of him

:D:D

Low brow my hole.

Have you even watched him?

ā€˜There is a lady in the audience whoā€™s birthday it is today. She is 105. She is sitting down there with her mumā€™

Cue massive grin quickly removed again.

That has me in stitches. As Fitzy said no cursing or politcial just pure comic timing and genius.

Another one:

ā€˜You know Robert Mitchum? I am going to imitate him - actually I am going to imitate his Dadā€™

Then in his own voice ā€˜Hello son!ā€™

Then he just walks away and opens a jack in the box or something and throws it on the floor.

Then the grin comes out again.

Genius.

Thats not funny.

Look up Stewart Lee and his Ang Lee joke. Thereā€™s some funny shit right there.

Yes it is.

ā€˜There is a lady in the audience whoā€™s birthday it is today. She is 105. She is sitting down there with her mumā€™

How is that funny, seriously?

I pity you with your Ed Byrne.

[quote=ā€œGeorgy Comerfordā€]Fair play Farmer, Tommy Cooper was brilliant.

Tony Hancock was very funny, his radio stuff was greatā€¦ I would have thought he was very much an ā€˜ordinary manā€™ kinda comedian Fitzy?[/quote]

I donā€™t know Georgy, I always thoight of Hancock as being more your university educated middle class comedy.

Hancock was utter, utter genius. His comedy was very self centered, it was all about him. But there was a sympathy and universality about what he was banging on about that made it easy to relate to him. He is the diametric opposite of a comedian I detest - Jerry Seinfeld. In the same way as Hancock, Seinfeld was based on everything being about him, but it was so self centered and selfish and ultimately boring and incredibly unfunny that he could never succeed in talking about himself in the same way that Hancock did.

I really first noticed Hancock after much encouragement by my Dad (something of a connosiour of English comedy)around the time I was studying the Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock by TS Elliot in school and thinking how alike the comedy of Hancock and the frustration of Elliot were.

One thing the brits do brilliantly is comedy, there is such utter brilliance from the Goons right through to Bill Bailey.

Noted and filed under I donā€™t give a fuck. My taste in comedy is beyond reproach.

[quote=ā€œFitzyā€]I donā€™t know Georgy, I always thoight of Hancock as being more your university educated middle class comedy.

Hancock was utter, utter genius. His comedy was very self centered, it was all about him. But there was a sympathy and universality about what he was banging on about that made it easy to relate to him. He is the diametric opposite of a comedian I detest - Jerry Seinfeld. In the same way as Hancock, Seinfeld was based on everything being about him, but it was so self centered and selfish and ultimately boring and incredibly unfunny that he could never succeed in talking about himself in the same way that Hancock did.

I really first noticed Hancock after much encouragement by my Dad (something of a connosiour of English comedy)around the time I was studying the Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock by TS Elliot in school and thinking how alike the comedy of Hancock and the frustration of Elliot were.

One thing the brits do brilliantly is comedy, there is such utter brilliance from the Goons right through to Bill Bailey.[/quote]

i hope to god that post is a pisstake

Seinfeld is absolute brilliance.

No soup for you!

She got bread, I want bread.

[quote=ā€œfarmerinthecityā€]I have watched a bit of him on Youtube over the last few years and was impressed so went out and bought a DVD of his performances.

Without a doubt one of the funniest men that ever existed.[/quote]

The strong silent type

Come back one year! Next!

Its not actually NCC, Iā€™m quite serious about it. And its nearly 1am here and Iā€™m only on my fourth drink. Go figure

didnt realise you were so deep man

Your taste in coemdy is now fucked. Seinfeld is a cunt, the unfunniest man Iā€™ve ever come across.

Nurse!!!

Wait till you see me after 5 drinksā€¦