Top 10 Irish Restaurants (that spidey visited in a week )

I thought fade street was lovely in fairness, I’ve heard the tapas place is shite though

Twice cooked is some gimmick.
It’s like calling your steak twice cooked because you cooked both sides.
As Julio says, that’s the way most chippers cook their chips as it helps get them crispier.

[QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 946943, member: 332”]There is a place on Baggot Street that advertises triple cooked chips. :rolleyes:

If I heated up yesterdays leftovers could I call it double cooked dinner and overcharge for it I wonder.

In the famous chippers in Limerick they “double cook” chips. That is they half cook them, then take them out of the fat, and drop them back in when needed. Although that is rumoured to be one of the secrets to the famous taste, there is nothing fancy about it at all.[/QUOTE]

Double cooking chips is the most efficient way to cook large volumes at speed

Dylan McGrath and John Farrell seem to have come up with a formula to make money running a restaurant in Dublin

take a picture of a NY restaurant
recreate it in Dublin
attractive staff/hip atmosphere/image
sell decent food but at chunky mark ups
sell cocktails at very chunky mark up
quick table turnaround times/multiple sittings as a virtue

It works for them as far as I can tell. Problem with “nicer” restaurants historically in Dublin was their food is so labour intensive/costly that margins were tiny, single sittings and they were dependent on people splashing out on wine to make any money - I would say running a Michelin star place in Ireland is primarily a vocation/passion rather than a money making enterprise

It is a process known as blanching-I worked as a convenience food technician for a summer. Half cook them and leave them there until it gets busy then drop them into the oil and blast them for 2 minutes. Did you ever put your hand into a deep fat fryer? I did and I can tell you it is not nice.

:smiley:

I’d say that looks well on the CV

did you really need to do it to know that??..

Is blanching not where you boil something for a few minutes prior to cooking it in the oven?
If I was doing homemade chips I would blanch them in boiling water for a few minutes then dry them, season them and put them in the oven.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 946953, member: 2272”]Dylan McGrath and John Farrell seem to have come up with a formula to make money running a restaurant in Dublin

take a picture of a NY restaurant
recreate it in Dublin
attractive staff/hip atmosphere/image
sell decent food but at chunky mark ups
sell cocktails at very chunky mark up
quick table turnaround times/multiple sittings as a virtue

It works for them as far as I can tell. Problem with “nicer” restaurants historically in Dublin was their food is so labour intensive/costly that margins were tiny, single sittings and they were dependent on people splashing out on wine to make any money - I would say running a Michelin star place in Ireland is primarily a vocation/passion rather than a money making enterprise[/QUOTE]

Doesn’t Shanahans lose money every year or something mad like that.

Gimmicky restaurants seem to be the order of the day in Dublin at the moment. Can’t see many of them lasting long.

[QUOTE=“croppy_boy, post: 946904, member: 306”]I was in The Green Hen on Exchequer Street recently. Excellent value and the best surf and turf I’ve had in Dublin (€28).

I’ll definitely be going back.[/QUOTE]
28 sounds average for a surf an turf, rather than great value.

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 946962, member: 1786”]Is blanching not where you boil something for a few minutes prior to cooking it in the oven?
If I was doing homemade chips I would blanch them in boiling water for a few minutes then dry them, season them and put them in the oven.[/QUOTE]
Dunno, kid but that’s the name we had for it anyway. If you were doing homemade chips, taking the bag out of the freezer would be the extent of your prep work, you lying cunt.

Well, no, I haven’t ever put my hand into a deep fat fryer but I lived next door to a genuine Italian Irish chipper for years and am good friends with the genuine Irish Italian proprietors.
I think they call it frying off and then blasting when an order comes in

Why am I not surprised?

Did they bring the age old recipe for cooking chips and burgers with them all the way from Italy?

I was scooping out the crispy bits with a sieve while looking elsewhere and dipped my hand straight in-rather painful.

They must have but it was before I was born and its probably a secret

[QUOTE=“Phil Leotardo, post: 946941, member: 197”]I’ve only eaten in Fade St once at a work event and all the tapas just seemed way too greasy.

Most people think of steak when going to rustic stone but their starters, salads and pastas are even better.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I wasn’t in the tapas part. The main restaurant is tasty. Or the food is anyway.

Bought a deep fat fryer a few months ago - I use it about every five or six weeks as it stinks the place up and as an athlete it is not conducive to peak performance. Having said that

Chicken wings in the oven and then fried are great
Chips - much better than oven chips
Sausages deep fried are delicious

Tried a mars bar in batter but it feel apart on me

I might pick up a Soda Stream soon and have an 80s themed dinner with Angel Delight for dessert.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 946983, member: 2272”]Bought a deep fat fryer a few months ago - I use it about every five or six weeks as it stinks the place up and as an athlete it is not conducive to peak performance. Having said that

Chicken wings in the oven and then fried are great
Chips - much better than oven chips
Sausages deep fried are delicious

Tried a mars bar in batter but it feel apart on me

I might pick up a Soda Stream soon and have an 80s themed dinner with Angel Delight for dessert.[/QUOTE]
What kind of athlete?

Self deprecating humour.