Topics specific to Grand Canal Dock, its environs and, most importantly, its inhabitants

[QUOTE=ā€œThe Selfish Giant, post: 1025921, member: 80ā€]+1

she gets a hard time on here[/QUOTE]
Agreed and not fair. She does a very good job of writing up those human interest stories that most readers of the Sindo love, but the nerds on here think are below them.

She has an annoying habit of having mobile phone conversations while paying for items in the shop. I think I mentioned it before but I find it disrespectful to the server and she invariably interrupts her conversation to (slowly) ask for more goods from behind the counter. She also tends to be very slow to pay what with juggling a phone, bag, purse and so on. Other than that, I donā€™t have a bad word to say about Niamh Horan.

FAO of @Horsebox, remember we discussed the lack of a late night coffee option in GCD a while back on another thread? Maybe itā€™s become common knowledge since but I only found out today that Lolly & Cooks is now open until 10pm. I enjoyed an americano and a banana and almond muffin (heated) on the premises just a little while ago.

Good to know, pal. I noticed at the weekend that a new artisan coffee shop has opened a few doors down from that horrendous Tesco express in Ringsend. A strange enough location for a place like that to open I wouldā€™ve thought. Probably a little off the beaten track for the clientele they would be hoping to attract. Interesting to see how long it lasts. Iā€™m not sure of its opening hours yet but I will revert back.

Iā€™d rarely go south of the Barrow Street turn off myself but Iā€™m always keen to learn about new options so certainly keep me updated. Artisan coffee shops and pretentious pubs like Sober Lane hitting Irishtown/Ringsendā€¦whatever next?

Itā€™s a mad new world, bro. The next time you fancy a few pints and a burger watching a Saturday evening match, you really should check out The Oarsman. Itā€™ll be ā‚¬20 for a pint and a burger instead of the magnificent ā‚¬12 offer in the 51 but the burger is a pretty fucking good burger. Good for a change as you say yourself but, I warn you, bring your appetite! Lol

I love the oarsman, Horse, but 20 quid is a fucking joke!

Had a pint in The Old Spot, formerly Lansdowne Bar, before the rugger buggers descended on Bath Avenue on Saturday afternoon. Itā€™s unrecognisable from the old place and most definitely not a pub any more, food looked pricey enough and the pint about Ā£5.70.

ā‚¬15 for the burger, Juhy and I added the standard ā‚¬5 for the pint. Itā€™s dear alright but most pubs in Dublin that do decent food are charging that now. In fairness, the burger is fucking ridiculous-Iā€™ve tried twice and never been able to finish it myself. Iā€™d normally get the burger and a small wings between myself and the missus and cut the burger in half and split the chips and the wings and youā€™d still be stuffed. ā‚¬22 for that lot so it would be ā‚¬11 each if you were splitting it with someone who ever actually put her hand into her fucking pocket.

Cue the horsebox is a tight cunt jibesā€¦

1 Like

I feared as much. Another gastro pub:rolleyes:

Whereabouts is that, pal? Is it the one just before The Bath itself that was closed for a year or two?

Yeah, thatā€™s the one chief. Practically under the bridge on Bath Avenue, avoid it at all costs.

[QUOTE=ā€œHorsebox, post: 1028554, member: 1537ā€]ā‚¬15 for the burger, Juhy and I added the standard ā‚¬5 for the pint. Itā€™s dear alright but most pubs in Dublin that do decent food are charging that now. In fairness, the burger is fucking ridiculous-Iā€™ve tried twice and never been able to finish it myself. Iā€™d normally get the burger and a small wings between myself and the missus and cut the burger in half and split the chips and the wings and youā€™d still be stuffed. ā‚¬22 for that lot so it would be ā‚¬11 each if you were splitting it with someone who ever actually put her hand into her fucking pocket.

Cue the horsebox is a tight cunt jibesā€¦[/QUOTE]

Delete that ffs Horsebox before the wider TFK community see it.

You slag off The Bath and youā€™re eating ā‚¬15 burgers in The Oarsman :smiley:

[QUOTE=ā€œSandymount Red, post: 1028559, member: 1074ā€]Delete that ffs Horsebox before the wider TFK community see it.

You slag off The Bath and youā€™re eating ā‚¬15 burgers in The Oarsman :D[/QUOTE]
The Oarsman is a great boozer, SR. ā‚¬15 for a burger is a mugā€™s game I know but if I want to have some decent grub and a few pints locally, then there ainā€™t much more choice, apart from the 51 which is like a morgue on a lot of Saturday nights.

There do be top notch talent in The Bath to be fair any time I go there. Iā€™m always taken aback with how poor the houses around Bath Avenue look though, relative to the general affluence of the area they are located in.

Real Dubs, real people, GBL. Salt of the earth types living in that area, most of them horrified by the gentrification and googleisation of a one-time family neighbourhood. Thatā€™s progress I guess.

ended up in then Lansdowne pub on bath avenue one morning ā€¦some right heads drinking in thereā€¦

Just bumped in FotF Niamh Horan in Fresh, Grand Canal Dock.

How did she do at the checkout, Bando?

@Horsebox , Are those big inflatable rugby posts outside Clarkā€™s a usual feature down there during rugby matches. They look fucking awful.

I hear the venerable Bob Prior has sold The Yacht and the upstairs is being gutted out already. Another piece of local heritage bites the dust :frowning: