Tottenham Hotspur, the Ryan Mason variant

Mourinho and Conte were both supposedly ā€˜elite managersā€™ and brought a guarantee of silverware. Weā€™ve broken the two of them now.

De Zerbi at Brighton could be a good shout. Iā€™d never heard of him up to recently but that was some massacre he inflicted on Liverpool yesterday. I was struck by this high octane, fast tempo, slick, inventive football with constant rotations and quick passing interchanges. It reminded me of Gasperiniā€™s Atalanta or Postecoglouā€™s Celtic and that kind of attacking football is what Spurs is all about.

Iā€™ve heard a lot of good things about this Australian chap at Glasgow Celtic. What are your views on him? Should we be looking over Hadrianā€™s Wall?

1 Like

100% Spurs should go for Postecoglou.

1 Like

It would be like a solpadeine up the hole of the greyhound that is tfk. And Fat frank to Celtic.

Conteā€™s standing as an ā€˜elite managerā€™ in the world game has to be seriously damaged by how badly he has flopped at Spurs.

Spurs have only 3 points fewer than at this stage last season, theyā€™ve made feck all signings in the summer so considering the above conte isnā€™t doing that terrible of a job

Spurs brought in Fraser Forster, Djed Spence, Perisic, Lenglet, Bissouma and Richarlison during the summer. Bentancur and Kulusevski were brought in for Conte last January.

Thatā€™s just the 8 players so that have been brought in for Conte in his 14 months at the helm.

Conte is doing remarkably well to have Spurs in the Top 5. I imagine heā€™ll get serious kudos on the continent for that.

Foster and Peresic were free transfers, bar Richarlson theyā€™ve been shrewd again. Conte prob needs 2 full seasons to put his stamp on that team and clear out all the dross that the last few managers brought in

They spent Ā£20m on that Spence fella and Conte made it clear he didnā€™t want him at all, he has played less that 10 minutes in the league this season. That is despite him being up against Doherty for a starting spot, who Conte doesnā€™t like either.
A bit of a mess of a club all told. As a neutral it was good to see Arsenal with numerous local lads who came through the academy playing yesterday, Kane the only academy lad featuring for Spurs. They seem to be a club who canā€™t afford to buy the best, and are unable to develop their own, you are guaranteed mediocrity then. Conte is doing a great job to have them as high as they are despite everything.

1 Like

Tottenham have Man City twice in the next month.

Those games are make or break for Coach Conte I would say.

Conte wants out and who could blame him

Another genuine sort conned by Chairman Dan.

A lot was made of the best start to a season of the EPL era over the first 10 games. Most Spurs fans for a moment werenā€™t taken in by any of that as the football was truly awful, even if results were getting grinded out. Those games were all pretty much against sides in the bottom half of the table. Only top side faced was Woolwich in Game 8, which was duly lost.

Since then, weā€™ve been deplorable and on a lot of metrics registering worst run of form and stats since the late 1980ā€™s. Conte is a slave to this outdated system of three central defenders, conceding midfield, dour Serie A style of the 1980ā€™s. Spurs donā€™t have the players to implement his beloved system. Youā€™d expect one of the so called great coaches of the modern game to have the tactical flexibility to come up with a style or system to make best use of what he does have at his disposal. Not a bit of it though.

Its funny how defeatist the average spurs supporter is. Its like they are almost welcoming mediocrity. Conte wont be able to change that youā€™d suspect.

When he told Levy he was interested in titles , Dan assumed he meant DVD titles for when they release one everytime they beat Arsenal, Man Utd or Chelsea

1 Like

Spineless!

I was there back in April 2004 when they won the League at White Park Lane so on one level yesterday wasnā€™t quite that bad. We did fight back from 0-2 down in 2004 to draw 2-2. Yesterday was grim in its own way though.

Spurs are just going nowhere under Conte. Any Spurs fan I know fully expected defeat yesterday. It was only really Paddy Footix of the Man U variety like @Juhniallio who were predicting a Spurs win yesterday.

@backinatracksuit, as shrewd and as knowledgeable a Spurs fan as youā€™ll get, had Conteā€™s card marked from Day 1. Eddie Howe was the man I was canvassing for here back in November 2021. Just look at the job Eddie Howe is doing with a Newcastle side that were bottom of the table, when he took over, the same week as Conte.

A spurs side that are gutless, spineless and toothless. Is he new to the club?