Transfer Window - Summer 2008

‘Last few years’ - a bit vague no?

United have spent well more than Liverpool over the last ten years

Veron, Ferdinand, Rooney, Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson, Nani, Van Nistlerooy
versus
Torres, Mascherano, Cisse, Heskey, Alonso

Pikeman - I will be the first to admit that Arsenal have managed their resources well better than Liverpool. But not United. The difference with them is that they can take a 15m or whatever loss on Veron and can still splash the cash. Very difficult to compete with that - unless you are Chelsea…

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]‘Last few years’ - a bit vague no?

United have spent well more than Liverpool over the last ten years

Veron, Ferdinand, Rooney, Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson, Nani, Van Nistlerooy
versus
Torres, Mascherano, Cisse, Heskey, Alonso

Pikeman - I will be the first to admit that Arsenal have managed their resources well better than Liverpool. But not United. The difference with them is that they can take a 15m or whatever loss on Veron and can still splash the cash. Very difficult to compete with that - unless you are Chelsea…[/quote]

Originally I would have thought so Farmer, but Rock* threw up a set of statistics there a while back which proved otherwise. Throw your Veron about all you like, but we recouped big fees on lots of players(Ruud, Beckham, Mikel, even Richardson etc… and don’t forget Fergie’s regular policy of blooding youngsters, giving them a few games then selling em for a few million-Chadwick, Higginbotham and many forgettable more. There has been no massive cash injection from the outside(Glazers purchase was financed by putting the club in massive debt) and we currently pay in the region of 81mst in interest PER YEAR and still are profitable as a going concern. We didn’t buy success, we earned it over time.

But I know we’ve had this before. I’m sure you remember.

*Rock, If you remember where you got the spend stats, let me know and I’ll put em up.

Just found those stats. Haven’t read them again yet so can’t remember what they say but they’re on that post:

http://thefreekick.com/vbforum/showpost.php?p=33240&postcount=223

Hover over the image thumbnails to see them in full size.

Ta Rock

Last few years was a bit vague for you Farmer, so here’s the last 5.

United spent net 75.05m. While Liverpool spent net 84.85m

It’s the third thumbnail over.

I don’t know about that… Goes to show how much money Houillier blew on signings…

What was the story with Mikel again? Did Chelsea not just pay United off with some crazy amount of money?

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]
What was the story with Mikel again? Did Chelsea not just pay United off with some crazy amount of money?[/quote]

Chelsea paid 12 Million to United and 4 Million to Lyn the club he was at in Norway. Chelsea have put 26 Million into United in the Roman era when you consider how much they paid for Veron.

Celtic in for Harry Kewell if the Belfast Telegraph is to be believed

Both Manchester United and Arsenal have had bids accepted today for Aaron Ramsey, a 17-year old Cardiff City midfielder. I don’t really know anything about him but whatever he has about his game it’s been enough to see these two look to sign him at an early age. Arsenal are expected to lose Hleb to Barca later this week and are still trying to sign Nasri.

Oh good God…

Kewell story can’t be true.

Never seen Ramsey play - what sort of price are we talking?

6 million for ramsey

Derby have confirmed they’re in negotiations with the huns about the sale of Kenny Miller. That’s gas - he’ll be hated by both Celtic and Hun supporters now.

I think it’s a bizarre choice for them. He’s the opposite of Cousin and Darcheville in his hold up play because the ball just doesn’t stick with him. He’ll run around a bit like Darcheville but he’s really not that suited to being a lone striker. He’s similar to Novo in many respects and they never used Novo up front.

Maybe Smith is going to be adventurous now and go for two strikers in the SPL or maybe he sees Miller as playing on one of the wings. Either way the fans already hate him. I just hope if he does join that we don’t even boo him in the next derby game. He’s beneath our contempt.

Yep, he definitely can’t play up top on his own as he doesn’t have the strength, touch or intelligence to do so. As you say, it’s either a case of Wattie going attack crazy and playing 2 up front or else shoving him over onto a wing like Wolves did when he was there.

Liverpool look like they’ve just about signed Andrea Dossena from Udinese for 7m. How much was Degen? Didn’t think a pair of full backs would be top of their agenda.

Degen came on a free

The Huns have had a 750k bid for 21-year-old Motherwell centre back Mark Reynolds turned down. There’s 3 SPL players from other clubs besides Celtic that I rate really highly and Reynolds is one of them, along with Gomis the Dundee United midfielder and Fletcher the Hibs striker. Celtic don’t need another young centre back, with O’Dea knocking on the door, but I’d prefer if Reynods stayed with The Mothers or went to England - Portsmouth are reported to be tracking him.

€15 million a year, take home, for Ronaldo.

from F365

MADRID TO OFFER RONALDO 300K A WEEK

Real Madrid are reportedly prepared to offer Cristiano Ronaldo an astonishing 300,000-a-week salary after tax.

Although Ronaldo has yet to publicly confirm that he wants to leave Manchester United this summer, Real are preparing to up the ante in their chase of the Portuguese winger by making it clear they are willing to make him the highest-paid footballer in the world.

According to The Daily Express, ‘The five-year contract on the table is worth a mind-boggling 75m’ and ‘Real have also made it clear that the huge offer will not be on the table in a year’s time.’

looks like richard dunne is going to stay put now that hughes has taken over…

Isn’t Ronaldo quite a scum bag all the same? At what point does many become irrelavent.