Transfer Window - Summer 2008

Cole’s pretty nippy but of the headless chicken variety. He’s also a shi’it footballer.

I think it was David Degen who was on trial with Celtic last summer.

Yeah he’s quick enough but he’s still a guy who is used to hold up play as opposed to someone who plays off a big 'un. And it’s competition for McDonald that we’re more interested in I reckon with only McGowan able to fill that role out of the reserves.

Tottenham manager Juande Ramos has admitted he is already making preparations for the possible departure of star striker Dimitar Berbatov.

Ramos wants to keep the 28-year-old at White Hart Lane but revealed he could leave if Spurs’s asking price is met and the player wants to move.

“I’ve spoken to him many times and know exactly what he wants,” Ramos said.

“We have to cover our backs in case the player decides to leave and we have to have options to replace him.”

The Bulgarian has been linked with a host of clubs, including Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Ramos added: "I would obviously like him to stay here but we don’t know how future negotiations will go so it is something I cannot guarantee.

"If there are offers coming in we will see if they convince the club and the player as well.

"What we want is for the player to be happy and enjoy his football. The player has the key to this and it is up to him at the end of the day.

"If that happened I’m sure the club would prefer to have the money because with the money they would be able to sign the players necessary.

“They would be able to look on the market for appropriate players.”

Ramos believes it will be possible to replace Berbatov if he leaves, adding: “Of course there are great players in Europe that can do just as well as Berbatov.”

Berbatov, who has netted 23 goals this season, joined Tottenham from Bayer Leverkusen for 10.9m in the summer of 2006.

He has recovered from a groin injury and is available to play against Liverpool on Sunday, which could be a farewell appearance if an appropriate bid is tabled over the summer.

With Berbatov keen on Champions League football, Spurs have looked at other strikers in case he leaves.

Barcelona’s Samuel Eto’o has been linked with a move to White Hart Lane and the Catalan giants have suggested they would study any bid made for the Cameroon forward.

Chelsea have signed the Porto right back Jose Bosingwa for 16.2m. He’s a good player but that’s some money to spend on a right back. Money’s no concern to Chelsea though and it’ll mean Essien can play all his football in midfield.

Celtic have been linked with West Brom Full back Paul Robinson. i[/i]

With Hinkel, Wilson, Doumb, Caddis and Naylor all available for next season I’d be very surprised if we went after a full back. Ideally we wouldn’t have Naylor starting but Wilson is comfortable enough on the left and Doumb and Hinkel can be tried there. Young Caddis has been man of the match in two games this year - probably only played in 3 overall.

I’d like to see Naylor offloaded and a new first choice left back signed, with Wilson providing cover on that side and Caddis backing up Hinkel on the right. Wouldn’t mind Joe Doumbe moving on too as Caddis has proven capable when filling in. I’m not really advocating signing players from England as they’re invariably overpriced and command wages in excess of our structure.

Getting back to the topic of Strikers for Celtic, what about Cameron Jerome from Birmingham?

This is my favourite transfer window

https://www.hvcc.edu/clc/documentation/phoneaccess/images/filetransfer.jpg

Torres to Chelsea

http://www.marca.com/

la marca?? also reported last week Ronaldo has agreed terms with Madrid

boots has been linked with a return to Rovers but I wouldnt have him
McCourt linked with Pats who want to get rid of Keane

No way will Torres be going to Chelsea.

Liverpool may as well fold if they let that happen.

Bayern Munich are said to be close to signing Gattuso from Milan and Barzagli from Palermo.

There’s talk today that Milan have bid €10m for The Holy Goalie. I’m using an exchange rate of 0.79015 and unsurprisingly that equates to Stg7.9015m. There’s further rumours that when Boruc signed his new deal in January a gentleman’s agreement was reached whereby if a club bid €12m - Stg9.4818 - for him then he could speak to them. This agreement was thrashed out because Artur could conceivably have wound down his contract and left for free so both parties were fair to the other - Artur signing a deal and getting renumerated appropriately while he stayed and having the option to speak to clubs who met the asking price and Celtic getting the proper market fee whenever he does leave. I reckon he’ll leave but it doesn’t mean I won’t cry.

What about getting Marshall back from Norwich. I know he signed a deal there last year I think but wouldn’t take much to buy him out surely plus he may have a clause. I thought he was a good prospect. Bit of a dip when Strachan took over alright though.

I didn’t think he was good enough after his initial heroics in Barcelona and then in the derby following that. He just isn’t dominant and commanding enough on crosses and high balls into the box, isn’t really vocal enough in organising his defence and also has a tendency to be beaten from outside the box which suggests his positioning isn’t all that either. There was reports a while back that we were monitoring Schwarzer at 'Boro who’s available on a Bosman but he’s not in the Holy Goalie class even though he’s been a decent enough 'keeper over a good number of years.

Ben Foster from Man U? He cant stay there being 3rd choice much longer.

Is he any use? Wouldn’t take Van der Saar though so hardly take this guy.

He nearly kept Watford in the Premiership a few years ago from what I remember. He’s only in his early 20’s so has plenty of years ahead of him.

Marshall is like that McNeill lad at Hibs at the moment. Smashing keeper on his line from close range but really exposed by crosses and peculiarly by long shots. Whether it’s concentration or positioning or not moving his feet quickly enough he’s forever getting beaten from distance.

Don’t see why all the big clubs in Europe wouldn’t be interested in Boruc. He’s a top class keeper. Think we can expect better than €10m though.