Transfer Window - Summer 2008

Why would those clubs be interested in buying Damien Duffs house?

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Just saw this now…

Eh - what are you on about? An assistant manager does exactly that - assists the manager in his role. He does not have a specific role to be a go-between between the manager and the players - the manager should have a sufficiently good relationship with the players on his own bat and the assistant manager is there to assist him in whatever stance the manager takes…[/quote]

You were having a go at him as assistant manager for being close to the players and calling him a clown for that. Do you not realise that the manager, by the nature of his position, has to be authorative and in many cases distant from the players. In that sense it’s important to have an assistant who the manager can rely on totally but who can also interact more informally with the players to reinforce the manager’s message. You only have to look at the handwritten tributes from McGeady and the likes on the Tommy Burns thread to see how close they were to him and how appreciative they were of his guidance and support. There’s absolutely fook all wrong with an assistant manager having a tight bond with the players and it’s beneficial if he does so.

There’s being close to the players and living your life by hanging off the players which Lee appears to do. He also attempts to portray an image of being popular with the players which is never good to see…

An irrational dislikeness maybe but a dislikeness nonetheless…

It’s a 4 bedroom with underground heating and a John Rocha designed bathroom

L’Equipe are reporting that Marseille are selling Samir Nasri to Arsenal for €15m and it’s a done deal.

That translate to c.Stg11.85m given the strong Euro.

He’s a similar quality player to Modric, who Spurs have paid Stg15m for.

liverpool are closing in on udinese left back andreas dossena for around 9 million sterling…

Source of that Puke?

skysports.com…although i shouldnt reveal my sources…

No doubt about it he hasn’t been the same since 2005 where he was simply awesome but hsi performances in recent seasons have been poor. Think they could get well more that 12m for him though - he only signed a new contract last season…

Xabi Alonso could be on the brink of a 12million move to Italians giants Juventus.

High-level Liverpool sources on Wednesday declined to comment on reports that there has been contact between the two clubs.

It has been reported in the Italian media that Juventus director Jean-Claude Blanc was in Liverpool on Tuesday for a meeting with Anfield boss Rafael Benitez.

Although Alonso, who is in Spain’s squad for the Euro 2008 finals next month, has recently claimed he still sees his future at Anfield, a move to Italy would certainly interest him.

It is no secret that Benitez has been told he must sell as well as buy this summer as be re-builds his squad.

And Alonso found his senior appearances restricted last season following the 18.6 million arrival of Javier Mascherano and with young Brazilian midfielder Lucas also making an impact.

With Benitez still trying to tie up the move of England international midfielder Gareth Barry to Anfield for 10 million, the departure of Alonso would not be a surprise.

Alonso was one of Benitez’s first signings when he took over as manager four years ago, arriving for10.5 million from Real Sociedad.

The 26-year-old has played 163 games for the club and scored 14 goals but featured little towards the end of the season.

He was only a late substitute in Liverpool’s final home game of the season against Manchester City and then did not figure at all in the last match at Tottenham.

The Spaniard could be one of several players to leave the club this summer.

Benitez also left out Jermaine Pennant, John Arne Riise and Peter Crouch from the side at Spurs, along with Harry Kewell, who knew by then his contract would not be renewed.

Benitez has already been active in the transfer market having signed defender Philipp Degen from Borussia Dortmund yesterday.

The Liverpool manager is also believed to be chasing Ulrich Rame, Bordeaux’s France international goalkeeper, and Italian left-back Andrea Dossena from Udinese.

But the possible departure of Alonso will disappoint Liverpool fans, the Basque-born star being a key player over recent seasons and scorer of one of the goals in the 2005 Champions League final win in Istanbul.

yeah he seems to have gone off the boil…smashing passer of a ball though…didnt liverpool pay roughly the same amount to sign him if not more…

10 million I think was the fee…

Presumably he is looking at Mascherano and Barry for centre midfield next season. There are better players out there than Barry…

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]10 million I think was the fee…

Presumably he is looking at Mascherano and Barry for centre midfield next season. There are better players out there than Barry…[/quote]

well who would be your choice farmer within budget of course…think barry is a fine player myself would rate him a lot higher than hargreaves jenas etc…very consistent and doesnt get the credit he deserves…joey barton could be available cheap in around 6 months time…

Don’t think Alonso is any better a player now than when he arrived. He was excellent for Real Sociedad and if anything he’s disimproved so making a profit on him is decent business. He’s still a quality player but he’s not showing it either through lack of form, lack of motivation or the system he’s being asked to play. Hard to know but another season along the lines of the last two and his value would plummet.

I too rate Barry reasonably highly and if you’re buying from the EPL then you could do worse.

Would have liked Modric, who looks a smashing player anytime I saw him. Would take him for 15m before Barry for 14m…

fair point…what do you make of lucas…i have only seen him a handful of times and didnt think he was up to much but then again he is still young and learning…think ye could do with a wide man first and foremost…would danny guthrie be in with a chance of getting a few games next year after his spell with bolton…

Completely different players though. Can’t remember how Liverpool play at the moment but do ye not still have Gerrard advanced in front of Mascherano and another. Modric could only really play where Gerrard plays and that’s not going to happen.

I think a guy who can play a bit of ball alongside Mascherano would be the way to go though. A Pirlo or Donati type figure.

Yeah not hugely impressed with Lucas either but, as you said, he can still improve. Saw him in the flesh against Inter last season and thought he looked out of his depth to be honest - that doesn’t say much for an ex young Brazilian player of the year. When you comapre him to Andersen at United then there is some difference but he did cost over twice more…

Don’t think Guthrie is good enough to be honest. From what I saw he didn’t set the world alight at Bolton which says it all really. Rumours of Finnan being sold back to Fulham for 2m - don’t really know what he ever did wrong…

with deegan and arbeloa ahead of him plus carragher able to play as a makeshift right back then there is no need for him…i have the feeling that rafa could be struggling rightly for funds…

What on earth had Arbeloa ever done to be ahead of Finnan in the pecking order?

well he was picked there for both the matches against chelsea…no need to get so aggressive…