Transfer Window - Summer 2008

I think Finnan gets caught out positionally sometimes. Not a glaring fault but sometimes he’s just caught napping and lets someone in behind him. And he’s not brilliant going forward.

This is not an advocation of Arbeloa by the way - I’ve no idea if he’s better or not but I can see the weakness in Finnan. Not sure Degen is the answer either.

A lot of stuff in here over lunch. I too think Alonso’s regressed in the last couple of seasons and 12m for him seems like good business to me. I also reckon Modric could have played a Pirlo type passing role beside Mascherano in a 4-2-3-1 as he’s well able to play in a 4-4-2 for Croatia and isn’t merely the type of player who needs that ‘free’ role - he’s a cracking all-round midfield player who’s particularly good going forward.

I don’t think a central pairing of Barry and Mascherano with Gerrard ahead of them would necessarily improve Liverpool at all. There’s nobody in that trio who can pass the ball well enough and ensure they monopolise possession and control games. The first two will work hard and tackle and Gerrard will drive on and do the spectacular at times but I don’t see any of them setting a tempo and controlling a game with assured passing.

Finnan’s days do indeed look numbered with all the right back competition now at the club. I never rated him as highly as others on here but equally, like ye lot, I don’t see what others have done to warrant getting ahead of him in the pecking order.

Modric can indeed play in a 4-4-2 but he’d be too deep in a 4-2-3-1 if he’s one of the two I think. He’d lose some effectiveness (and width for the team) if he’s one of the 3. While he’s well capable of holding his own in the middle of the park the type of player Liverpool need is someone to get the ball off the full backs and move it about the park to set up attacks or hold onto it. Don’t think Modric fits that bill, nor does Barry fulfill the first criterion.

I disagree. I can think Modric could play in the two as his passing’s good and it would only be team instructions that would prevent him from moving forward on occasion to dictate things in more dangerous areas. Mascherano would be there to mind the house and there’s also cover out wide with Kuyt to man-mark the opposition’s wide player. It’s all hearsay anyway with him going to Spurs and I’m surprised he didn’t go to a better side.

More important transfer news from today, I’m moving internally and my transfer is effective from 1 June. I, for one, don’t think it’s any coincidence this date coincides with the official opening of the FIFA transfer window (or was that 1 May?). Anyway, the effect this will have on my daily TFKing is yet to be determined but I’ll be pressing for a window seat with my back to the wall and where nobody else can see my computer screen.

WOW! Directed at therock no less.

All fair points re liverpool. However I do think that the priority for signing players must be concentrated in the wide areas. Finnan looks like going and I disagree with Carragher being played out right back. So therefore another right back is needed along with a left back and two more wingers. Liverpool have had this problem for years and a lot of average players have come in these positions and just havent improved the situation; babel, pennant, benayoun, gonzalez, nunez, kewell, garcia etc.

I think this is why Liverpool have struggled to mount a title challenge as top quality wide players are a nessecity for the traditional English style of football.

Also, although it would be sad to see Alonso go I think that its necessary because Alonso likes to play deep, behind the ball, but is not a good tackler like Masch. Benitez has put his faith in Masch, who is nowhere near a good passer as Alonso, which means I think Alonso has to go. Lucas is more box to box type player and I think he can progress to be a good player. If it was up to me I would buy 2 quality wingers and drop Gerrard back in midfield with Masch should Alonso go.

[quote=“gerrardno1”]All fair points re liverpool. However I do think that the priority for signing players must be concentrated in the wide areas. Finnan looks like going and I disagree with Carragher being played out right back. So therefore another right back is needed along with a left back and two more wingers. Liverpool have had this problem for years and a lot of average players have come in these positions and just havent improved the situation; babel, pennant, benayoun, gonzalez, nunez, kewell, garcia etc.

I think this is why Liverpool have struggled to mount a title challenge as top quality wide players are a nessecity for the traditional English style of football.

Also, although it would be sad to see Alonso go I think that its necessary because Alonso likes to play deep, behind the ball, but is not a good tackler like Masch. Benitez has put his faith in Masch, who is nowhere near a good passer as Alonso, which means I think Alonso has to go. Lucas is more box to box type player and I think he can progress to be a good player. If it was up to me I would buy 2 quality wingers and drop Gerrard back in midfield with Masch should Alonso go.[/quote]

You simply won’t have enough possession in midfield if you play Gerrard alongside Mascherano. Gerrard has many good qualities but retaining possession is not one of them. And it’s not something Mascherano excels at either.

Agreed that you can look for a more rounded player than Alonso but Gerrard is not the answer for that.

I think Alonso’s problem is that he doesn’t play at a particulalry high tempo, he just doesn’t release the ball quick enough. Not sure if that’s due to instruction from Rafa or just because of the lack of quality out wide. At this stage I wouldn’t be upset to see him leave, particulary if we got 16m for him or somewhere near that, which is apparently the asking price.

Barry and Mascherano would make for an excellent pairing I reckon as long as they got the ball forward quick enough and of course that we’ve another capable wide man (Babel being the other). Defensively they’d be superb and both are decent passers of the ball.

Two fullbacks and a wide man and the league and European Cup will be ours. Bish bash bosh. QED.

Not trying a wind-up here Clarkey, but do you seriously think Liverpool would see much of the ball with a central midfield of Mascherano and Barry against a Barca or Milan?

They’d probably have less possession alright but they’d be well equipped to defend, and as I said, if they’d be able to release the ball quickly enough, they’ve match winners higher up the pitch.

Tbh I don’t give a sh1t about Europe. It’s all about the league.

I referenced European Cup teams (well Milan won’t be next season) because you made a comment about winning that in post #149 on this thread based on having a midfield two of Barry and Mascherano. I don’t think that would be feasible with those two as neither are particularly good at retaining possession but it might work in England alright. The confusion is very regrettable.

On the contrary Bandage I think both are very good at retaining possession - it’s the speed and creativity of their passing that I would be concerned about.

Robinho’s quoted on Sky Sports News as saying he’s considering a Stg28m move to Chelsea.

Thierry Henry was reportedly on the verge of a move to Manchester United two weeks ago - but changed his mind after talks with Pep Guardiola.

The France striker had a disappointing first season at the Nou Camp following his 16million switch to Barcelona from Arsenal last summer.

The main reason for his poor form was being asked to play in an unfamiliar left-wing role by Barca coach Frank Rijkaard, who has since left the club after a trophyless season.

Guardiola has taken the reins at the Catalan giants, and is believed to have talked Henry out of a 10million switch to Old Trafford.

The Sunday Mirror quotes a source as saying: "Thierry was told by the new coach he didn’t want him to leave, that he was going to be a big player for Barca next season and would have an important role to play for them.

“That reassured Thierry - but United were ready to buy him.”

Samuel Eto’o and Ronaldinho are widely expected to leave Barca this summer, meaning Henry could become their first-choice striker.

Saw the above report on Football365. Bit mental, if it’s true. He’s certainly the sort of player we want but he’s a bit old and frankly, I would have thought that he wouldn’t have even considered it. Good to know we can still manage to carry on some negotiations on the sly and that we’re already moving for strikers.

This from BBC’s football gossip…

Chelsea will continue to pursue the players sacked boss Avram Grant wanted to sign this summer - and will pay up to 50m for Liverpool striker Fernando Torres. (Daily Mail)

Heard that Chelsea already bid for Torres and it was dismissed out of hand. The Mail have phrased that as if there is a chance that they will get him…

From F365

CHELSEA TO MAKE TORRES THE MOST EXPENSIVE PLAYER IN HISTORY
There’s only way to begin the latest round-up of the gossip…

The Daily Mail claims that ‘Chelsea will offer up to 50million in an audacious bid to sign Liverpool striker Fernando Torres.’

Aye, it made us jump as well.

To quote the newspaper: ‘Stamford Bridge owner Roman Abramovich is ready to smash the world transfer record to land the 24-year-old Spaniard. Abramovich was prepared to pay that much for Thierry Henry when he first took over at Chelsea and he has given chief executive Peter Kenyon permission to offer the same amount for a brilliant marksman who scored 33 goals in his debut season at Anfield.’

At this point you are bound to be wondering how Chelsea could be pursuing players even though they have just sacked their manager. Well, according to the Mail, ‘it is understood the club will continue to pursue those players Grant identified prior to his dismissal - and Torres was top of his wish list, with the Barclays Premier League and Champions League runners-up happy to take advantage of the chaos at Liverpool.’

And, apparently, an inclination to sell. An insider is quoted as revealing: “There is a desire among certain people at Liverpool to sell at the right price. It’s just a case of whether they have the nerve to incur the wrath of the Liverpool fans.”

If the yanks decide to sell Torres to Chelsea I will officially cease my support of LFC…

Don’t know this guy - any use does anyone know?

Barcelona have announced the signing of midfielder Seydou Keita from Sevilla on a four-year contract.

Barca are thought to have paid around €14m for the Mali international and the Catalan club revealed his contract contains a €90m buy-out clause.

Keita, 28, impressed at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan this season after signing from Lens last summer.

Seen a bit of him. He’s a good player - strong in the tackle, great engine and drives forward from midfield as well as doing the nasty work in the trenches. Bit of an Essien style player.

David Edgar, the guy from the Rangers Supporters’ Trust who regularly defends his fellow fans’ racism, sectarianism and rampages throughout Europe, is on breakingnews.ie railing against the possible signing of Kenny Miller. Apparently it’s a done deal. They’re also looking to get that Kyle Lafferty guy but Burnley are holding out for 4m ( a bid of which they rejected from Fulham last year). I’d laugh if they used their budget on these two jokers.