TV Rights, best avoided

Premier sports basically is eir. Have the same owners.

Are they in a bit of bother?

They don’t have the BT carriage anymore.

Not sure how attractive the package is going forward overall for customers. I’d say Eir are making a loss on it as it is.

What does that mean

You will stop getting BT through Eir as part of the pack from September.

Eir Sports and Virgin Sports are basically a waste of time as standalone channels now, neither has enough content to justify their existence.

You’d want your head examined to set up an Irish subscription sports channel

1 Like

Setanta Ireland was profitable iirc.

Don’t you only pay for Eir Sports currently if you have neither an Eir television package or an Eir broadband package?

Yes.

So it’s more a question of why Eir would keep a loss leader going that isn’t that attractive.

Didnt know that. Eir will have Pro14 and GAA prob enough for me to renew but thats a big blow to them

Probably drove decent traffic onto their broadband platform. I switched for the free sports. It was a no brainer

1 Like

Eir/premier will have 3.00 premier league games in Ireland next season.

3 Likes

I expect us the lay down a marker this weekend with a big tv audience tuning in the watch the England game.

Finally this has been tried. A promising start to the experiment from RTE.

Kerry v Dublin next week should build nicely on tonight’s success.

bumped for @Tim_Riggins

what’s this about, mate?

oh I just compared figures for the last time Ireland played Italy in scummy soccer vs last weeks big 6 nations game - we need to get our story straight

Ireland vs Italy (soccer) 1.047m
Ireland vs Italy (rugby) 0.47m

:astonished::astonished::astonished:

3 Likes

I thought rugby was the dominant sport on our screens these days? Surely that rubby figure is incorrect? what with the game being on in Italy, the whole country must have been tuned in…

yes, it must be a mistake

it cant be right

@Tim_Riggins will provide clarity