Twitter (Part 1)

The decision to prosecute is not judicial process

Don’t worry petal, neither is he

2 Likes

Well it’s very much part of the criminal justice system.

Jackson’s lawyers are picking and choosing which parts of the system they like.

But that’s not the point you were trying to make.

The judicial process was called into question by oriordan, not the criminal justice system and you can strip the judicial process out as its own thing

Maybe he was tweeting in the Seanad chamber. Would parliamentary privilege get him off the hook there?

I think you can guess

O’Riordain didn’t specify what process he was questioning in the tweet.

The judicial process is part of the criminal justice system so replace the words judicial process with criminal justice system in my previous post and you have it.

It’s fairly clear what O’Riordan meant.

No, you clearly thought you were making a smart point and got pulled up on it. Deal with it.

4 Likes

The judicial process is part of the criminal justice system.

Jackson’s lawyers see fit to undermine one part of it, but don’t like when they think another part of it is undermined.

Cherry picking, it’s called.

Just stop it.

You’re the one cherry picking now after you got pulled up.

Em, you don’t even know what you’re arguing about anymore, mate.

Weird.

I do

You clearly haven’t got a clue

To bring this back into focus, what part of his tweet is defamatory

1 Like

I answered that earlier. Now I’m off to bed to let Sid seethe on his own…

You don’t art.

I accepted several posts ago the PPS was not part of the judiciary but part of the criminal justice process.

Only heaven knows what you think you’re arguing about at this stage.

It’s probably not defamatory, or at least unlikely to be a successful lawsuit, as he is expressing an opinion that well connected middle class men are more likely to be found not guilty than (I assume he means) working class or poor. That can certainly be argued from the standpoint that the well to do can afford better lawyers, regardless if that is what he meant.

There have been far worse things said , here and elsewhere, that are most definitely defamatory, such as calling the men rapists rather than accused of rape.

1 Like

I agree. I think he worded the tweet in such a way that it would come to nothing.

He’s gone sid. You’re gonna have to let it go. You lost again. Have a look at the degenerate gambler thread. I know how you feel.

3 Likes

He deleted it pretty quickly though which suggests he hadn’t put too much thought into it before writing it.

It’s an interesting case, the outrage about the verdict is a little fascinating. I would think there are things more worthy of outrage, such as the lax sentencing laws for convicted violent rapists. The lad who sexually assaulted the woman in the same jurisdiction and threw her out on the road naked got 2.5 years. In terms of taking rape seriously, I would start with longer sentences for those actually convicted, and much longer sentences for violent rapes rather than “he said, she said” type of cases.

6 Likes

I think that was sexual assault, not rape.
I also think that the prick of a senator will settle out of court and publish an apology. If he had integrity he already would have issued the apology, in my opinion

1 Like