Twitter (Part 1)

Or reply to debate, not just, ‘shurrup your only jealous’

Ewan Liked a Tweet that claimed Cooper had the stabbing coming to him.

He called Jim Gavin, disgusting, Odious (though he spelled it odios), and a Nasty Liar. This is no way for a proper journalist to carry on and if he was a proper journalist he wouldn’t be tweeting while he was drunk.

I dispute almost everything he says about Dublin and funding. Just because figures are on an excel spreadsheet doesn’t make them accurate

Can you provide these overfunding figures and clarify if the breakdown per county includes the GDO salaries paid directly by the provincial councils?

1 Like

Seeing as you are throwing this into the equation, what is Davy Fitzgerald being paid and what is Jim Gavin being paid. I know the answer to the Davy one, and despite all the bullshit and bluster that goes on outside of the actual facts, a very simple fact is that the Wexford accounts are in a healthier position since Davy became manager. So “pissing” away money, despite what people may or may not thing they know what kind of money Davy gets, is simply not correct and not at all a fact.

Also, with regards to Mayo and their budget, you know that over 1/3 of all their costs are for travel costs for players getting to and from training? Something all counties have huge costs in but not as much for Dublin. A straight line comparison doesnt always work well.

Does it also include the “Dublin Coaching Project” which is paid by the Leinster council to Dublin? Even though we are told that Dublin is treated like a separate province. And also, any GPO’s or GDA’s are not paid 100% by the council, similar to the ones in Dublin. Club/county have to make 50% contribution.

3 Likes

A truly terrible writer, incomprehensible at times, awful grammar, all over the place

I’ve genuinely never heard of this and I worked as a GPO for 5 years.

I assume you mean what he is getting off the Wexford county board?

Do you know how much control he has over the money raised by the supporters club or himself by any chance? as there was serious misappropriation of this during his time in Clare where he personally fundraised significant amounts of money but never kept any accounts and when his time was up he told the others involved that there was fuck all of it left.

My understanding is that Jim Gavin isn’t being paid and that Davy is being supported. Am I wrong? I don’t know if Davy’s support is through the county board but to be honest I don’t think that’s particularly relevant in any event. I only referenced Davy as an example of a manager who is understood to be compensated but the overall point is that I don’t believe Dublin funding is determining the manager or the player pool. It’s not like they went out spending big-bucks on a Micko type character.

“A straight line comparison doesn’t always work well”. A great point. It has been made many times in relation to Dub GAA spending and how it is a complex topic relating to development, population, competition from other sports etc etc but Ewan is more of a 144 character shock-jock merchant and too many outside Dublin are latching on in the bizarre hope of putting an asterisk on Dublins recent All-Ireland wins.

Fascist

Page 18 of their financial accounts.

Theres this in development funding 07-17

Of course excluded is the earlier 5 million only dublin got from the government.

Without even going into sponsorship and lack of expenditure on travel etc

I don’t know - that’s why I’m asking him to provide the figures. The figures Ewan constantly quotes (and nicked from some Meath student on Twitter) has Dublin getting something like 18m over a period of ten years with Cork next on 1.4m so I’m assuming they include the Dublin coaching project of around 1m per year. However the 1.4m to Cork and the other county breakdowns does not include the payment received by GDOs outside Dublin that comes from provincial councils. These are separate line items in the GAA financial statements and did not break it down by county (may have changed recently)

Think you had a good post in the past on this about that breakdown.

Supporters club has rebranded as Cairde Loch Gorman. I don tthink Davy has any influence whatsoever with this, although some others may know more (cc @Bandage @Appendage).

If the squad do any internal fundraising, its within their own fund raising which would pay for their own things like trips etc outside of sanctioned or paid for CO board stuff.

To be honest, I think Davy has been more clever about things, staying in the limelight gives him enough profile to be able to make alternative revenue streams like his TV show etc. More power to him, as long as he doesnt fuck people over.

The proof is in the results. With the funding, success, without it, mediocrity, especially hurling which destroys any argument.

But your counter for this is no more than ‘well i don’t agree with it’ and asking for scientific proof on how many points 1 million buys you which is not possible.

So why do you think dublin have been so successful?

Rare I have a good post…

I wouldnt be relying on a photo of a screen shot on a laptop as a basis for factual proof either. It is abundantly clear though that a disproportionate amount of funding has been given to Dublin from about 15 years ago. This gave clubs full time coaching resources which is obviously a huge help to development of players. To try claim that this wouldnt be a cause for increased performance is head in the sand stuff. Obviously it isnt the sole reason for success, but it was a major contributor that other counties were not offered by the GAA. The €5m hurling grant also was a significant investment.

It’s only in the last 2 years with the East leinster coaching project that some counties are being offered partial coaching resources like the Dublin set up, but it still comes a long way short. It also shouldnt be seen as sour grapes or woe is me type shit either, it is what it is and Dublin are the better for it. It’s the GAA who caused this huge imbalance and continue to do so under the guise of participation for all.

1 Like

The €5 million hurling grant must have been drank in the GGA clubhouses in Dublin. They’ve only got victories over small fry like Galway and Tipperary to show for it.

As soon as they faced a proper hurling county like Laois they were destroyed.

3 Likes

I wouldnt believe for a second that Jim Gavin is getting nothing out of his time as manager. There are enough sponsors and contributors to keep him going if all he gets is the standard expenses from the Co Board.

With regards to comparisons, there is competition in rural areas too, mainly economic migration and numbers of clubs dwindling as people move to urban areas, Dublin the biggest of these. Everyone could argue all day which is worse, but both have their own merits. The biggest factor though is the numbers of children playing. has the Dublin coaching project worked? Have clubs seen a huge increase in new members and playing numbers? This is where the investment and money spent should indicate whether it is a success or not. Its also a number that is no where to be seen, why, I’m not sure. It could be great or bad, genuinely dont know, but despite the major success of both men and womens football teams in Dublin, they really should be parading increased participation as their success.

A standard dub fan here. Clueless, brainless, nothing to contribute, but for some reason needs to hear the sound of their own voice

You are the only simpleton left on here taking Ewan seriously. Congratulations.

GPO convention

1 Like