Twitter (Part 1)

Is the population of rural Ireland not higher now than it has been at any stage since the famine?

Economic migration has never not been around since the formation of the GAA - and motorways etc. make it easier than ever before for people living in Dublin to return to play for rural clubs at weekends

Wow

What we know from the census is that the number of people living in rural areas, defined as a place outside a conurbation of at least 1,500 people, has increased by more than a quarter of a million over the past 20 years.

That is worth repeating: 1.75 million people live in rural areas, up from 1.5 million in just 20 years. In 1971, rural Ireland’s nadir, the population living in the countryside, villages and small towns was 1.4 million (see graphic)

Just as they make it easier for Dublin to play away games

Galway should vote for that then rather vote to keep Dublin plying in Croke Park

Dublin players and supporters are crying out for more games down the bog

3 Likes

like I said, you can argue it many ways. I know our area has been decimated with numbers, average class sizes have dropped by about 10 per class I’d say over the past number of years. Its similar to other clubs around us here too. There are many pros and cons and arguments for urban rural issues over playing numbers and getting kids involved. Its also a never ending argument.

Would I be right in guessing that a lot of rural clubs haven’t moved with the times and have been complacent in assuming that youngsters from the local area will play for their clubs as a matter of course when that is no longer the case because technology means that rural kids have more distractions and ideas about what they want to do recreationally than previously

Everybody can rest assured that appropriate controls and processes are in place.

I can also confirm that Davy doesn’t have any influence.

you can guess that, but to give our own example, we would generally have had about 20-25 per class on average in the club, and many would play. We probably have greater participation numbers now as a percentage, but there are only about 10-15 per class. Even if we had 100% participation, we would be struggling hugely.

That could be down to falling birth rates

That’s happening all across Ireland

No.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like
2 Likes

He retweeted this…

1 Like

Gavin doesnt get a cent, nor sherlock, nor Clarke etc.

Are you tax compliant?

cc @carryharry

3 Likes

Ewan clamped you there in fairness

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Anyone got a link for any of Ewan articles about Brazil or fascism? I’m only familiar with his sport stuff. I’d actually like to read any of his non sport stuff if he has any.

1 Like

See below from Dublin Juvenile Secretaries 2018 report. Huge growth in participation in both codes but particularly hurling. The GPO’s would be responsible for a lot of this growth because they are specifically tasked with recruitment of 4-6 year olds boys and girls for club nurserys.

CCC1 covering games scheduled for the age groups U8, U9, U10, U11 & U12 take place
each Saturday morning throughout the county between 10am and 1pm. Played under
the Go Game model over 11,500 fixtures issued in 2018 split evenly this year between
Hurling and Football.
 The increase in Football numbers versus 2013 and 2008 is +29% and +58%
 The equivalent Hurling numbers are +33% versus 2013 and +98% compared to
 This year for every 100 children who join a Club to start playing Football 85 will
also play Hurling.
 The comparable figures in 2013 and 2008 are 82 children and 68 children
respectively.

2 Likes

No wonder ye recruit from your neighbours.

1 Like