Twitter (Part 1)

im struggling to see the logic in that post kevin. is there a function in twitter that allows you to say it to someone’s face? I probably just dont get it.

sadlier for one leaves his email address at the bottom of his articles. if you wanted to have a go at him in a manner that wasnt reminiscent of a scorned teenage girl with an exaggerated case of ADD, the email would probably be best.

As I said I dont really understand twitter. I cant understand why anyone would be interested in the daily thoughts of the likes of Joey Barton, Sadlier, hollywood celebs etc. but many are evidently

do you twit yourself?

I agree with KIB here. In my opinion Twitter is for egomaniacs.

I agree with KIB, FWP and myself in saying that twitter is indeed for ego maniacs but what our esteemed colleague kevin says (at least my interpretation) is true too.

People posting on twitter and to a greater extent anonymously on here may lack the necessary balls to express their opinions about people on a face to face basis. But I suppose that’d be an awful pain in the hole too. I mean why would you go up to some lad, unsolicited and call him a cunt because of his radio persona or tell him he’s shit at his past time?

Kevin I think is not one of these people and I think he would happily be truthful at all times but I can’t imagine him going up to lads unsolicited (delighted to get that word in twice) either.

The whole point of twitter is to solicit responses from the general public though Appendage. Otherwise you’d mark your account private and opt to block interactions from randomers.

would agree with you too on that, but with regards to posting stuff on the likes of here, instead of going up to someone personally and saying it to their face, well I’d see it like lads in a pub talking about certain players or whatever. people talk about other people the whole time, just because you have an opinion about someone doesnt necesarily mean you have to be able to tell that person your opinion to be allowed to say it.

But, the biggest difference is that on the likes of here is in print and is accesable that the person is able to see comments. Whereas comments said to mates in private stays that way generally.

I don’t like twitter so I don’t use and it doesn’t overly bother me.

But I did say to a greater extent on here and I think people would be less likely to be as brave in person as on twitter. And when I say unsolicited I meant with regard to real life, as in not online. I was explaining to Bandage last night that there is a life off line but he disagrees with me on that.

Yes I know twitter is real but you know what I mean. I think.

I agree with you Gman. Life would be tough enough if we had to approach everyone that we thought was a cunt or whatever and tell them all about it. Fora are basically the transfer of pub conversation to the internet.

i dont know, kevin made a big show there last year that he was going to go up the cork hurling manager about some player or other. think he bottled it for a finish though.

do you have to accept people as friends or is it open season that anyone can pop something up on your page?

whats the connection with claire tully? fhm high street honey and TFK board room strategic partnership or what?

just wondering in the age of saturation media coverage about literally everything, why are people interested in following others on twitter?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember that now. Yeah I take it back.

No, just follow people. Use it alot for news info and follow a few of the Sport Science/Strength Coaches etc. A few footballers and the like but i’m slowly deleting most of them for the reasons below.

My post was about one, i don’t think for a minute you don’t understand twitter and no doubt have an account, and two, that its no different to saying something about anyone on here really.

Completely agree. I do find it useful for articles of interest and updates on local games etc (got a blow by blow account of our exit from the Premier Intermediate this year for instance).

Thats pretty much it. One would like to think though that were you to meet anyone on a level plain you’d give them the benefit of making an impression. As you say a online/journalistic persona or one garnered from what a whole load of what others say is not really the safest ground to be judging someone on.

My favourite example of this is Pat Spillane, a very decent operator when you come across him in Templenoe or Bantry. I have a feeling someone like Joe Brolly is a very decent skin as well behind it all.

But i believe you can give as much as they leave out there. I find nothing at all wrong with lambasting the likes of Colm Begley or Parkinson or Joey Barton or whoever as they are there looking for attention.

Of course others use it as a marketing tool, and in the right hands it can be a very useful one.

Not true, but anyway. :rolleyes:

I think Twitter’s very useful indeed. I use it mainly to follow sporting matters of interest - journalists (1), bloggers (2) and players (3).

Find it a very good way to get live news; e.g. an example of (1) would be the Irish football journalists that travel with the team. They’ll tweet how the team was set up in training and give an idea of what a starting lineup is likely to be. Other journalists might make an interesting point on how a game is developing - someone like Sid Lowe or whatever. (2) is then the likes of RockoTFK, TicTacTic, Zonal Marking types that provide good analysis of games post event. The players can be boring enough at times - ‘good 3 points today, great support as usual’ type comments - but every now and again they’ll give you a decent insight into something that’s happening at the club. Others use it as a news feed - a one stop shop so to speak and it seems handy enough.

You can choose to make your account private or public. You can choose to have your page invite only or requiring approval first so if you don’t want randomers talking to you it’s simple to avoid.

No idea what the connection with her you’re referring to is.

Chris Hoy being abused on Twitter by Spurs fans who blame him for their defeat yesterday

http://twitter.com/#!/chrishoy/status/146025630297894912

[b]Chris Hoy[/b] [s]@[/s][b]chrishoy[/b]

Follow
Just for the record 1) I don’t need glasses and 2) I do not lead a double life as an English premiere league ref. That’s Chris Foy.

:lol:

That’s class. :lol:

http://energise2-0.c…fan-engagement/

The Rules of Fan Engagement

Posted on December 11, 2011[/url] by [url=“http://energise2-0.com/author/vincenthamill/”]Vincent Hamill

http://energise2-0.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/images-4.jpg

Guest Post by Eugene Burns
Given our interest in ‘Sports Marketing 2.0′, we are always on the look out for good articles covering ‘Social Media in Action’ in the sports sector.

Thanks to Eugene Burns for this third, very interesting, guest post following up on the theme of football fan empowerment, involvement and engagement in a social media age. In this article, Eugene focuses on ‘twitter ghosting’ i.e. PR agency management of the twitter accounts of well known football personalities. As usual, comment and feeback are most welcome. Jim H
———————————————————————————————————————–
In recent blogs I looked at how some of the more enlightened sports clubs are placing greater trust in their own fans by allowing real input and effective ownership of their official social media and digital output and the pioneering work by the New Jersey Devils.

I also looked at the example of Arsenal fans dismayed that their officially sanctioned fan forum had been wound down in favour of more manageable social media. When you examine the official @Arsenal[/url] account in close detail using a tool such as[url=“http://twtrland.com/”]http://twtrland.com you find it used almost exclusively as a broadcast tool posting mainly links (76% of all tweets) and plain tweets (22%) with no interactivity with the followers and little in the way of meaningful fan engagement. The account does follow over 127,000 accounts but with virtually zero mentions you have to wonder if the account really interacts with any followers at all.

It’s unfair to single out any one account as clubs have a tendency to want to manage their brand and PR message in the 24 hour media age. Manchester City’s @MCFC account offers little more in the way of replies (6.1%) with a large measure of links (23.8) and plain tweets (50.3) giving fans and followers scarcely more interactivity than the London team.

http://energise2-0.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/cesc-fabregas-300x183.jpg

Players themselves, usually advised by agents and media managers, tend to control their image and brand on Twitter. Ex-Arsenal player now with Barcelona, Cesc Fabregas, @cesc4official does manage to include some interactivity (10.6% replies) but, in spite of posting many behind the scenes photos, still feels like a tightly managed PR and promotional tool with a high wall of untouchable security build around the communication and the messages. The follower is left in no doubt that this is the account of a 21st century football star.

I can’t help feeling that clubs and players are missing out on the real benefits that social media can bring to both supporters and their clubs. In the social media age this approach to fans and fan engagement has a whiff of old media image management about it. There are however several pitfalls.

West Ham chairman David Gold @DavidGoldWHU uses his account to interact with fans and others (43.3% replies) on the changing fortunes of his club and his business interests. While we can applaud Mr Gold’s engagement with his followers, engagement on its own needs to be backed up with quality of the information communicated. This could be why the club owner attracts a comparatively small following of 28,000 for such a well established club.

http://energise2-0.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/download.jpg

In Scotland the chief executive of the SFA Stewart Regan @StewartRegan has attempted to reach a degree of interactivity with his again relatively small number of followers (around 5,000) with a slightly higher level of interactivity than Mr Gold (52% replies) highly commendable in the circumstances of a failing league structure. The difficulty of the chief executive’s position is often cited in his own tweets with the interactivity of the account often undermined by warnings to anyone who ‘challenges my integrity.’ Pomposity and interactivity don’t sit well together.

However, it’s in Scotland that some of the most interesting social media developments on Twitter have taken place. Celtic manager Neil Lennon @OfficialNeil began tweeting in January 2011 and reached a commendable level of replies (74.4%), often personal greetings and good luck messages in reply to fans at a time when he and his family were facing real personal danger. Yet at the end of September a sudden change occurred in this popular account. October passed without any tweets being posted until a new message was posted formally asking fans to like his Facebook page, posting a further 15 times in November in a businesslike tone unlike the tone of the previous months. In November the replies dropped to precisely 0%.

A further analysis of the @OfficialNeil[/url] account on [url=“http://www.tweetstats.com/”]www.tweetstats.com reveals a move from the tweets being posted via a personal iPad to the likely media office based Twitter for Mac. These figures highlight what is apparent to even the casual follower. That the only UK football manager who was using social media to interact in a very personal way with his fans was now being ‘ghosted’ by a media agency employing a rather restrictive media strategy that doesn’t allow for even minimal fan engagement. The particular circumstances surrounding Scottish football may offer some mitigating circumstances in the adoption of such an apparently retrograde policy.
Yet the agency looking after Neil Lennon’s account doesn’t have far to look to find a good example of how a football club’s Twitter presence can communicate well with followers. With a level of replies at a highly impressive 79.4% Celtic’s Director of Digital Media, Tony Hamilton @polishturnstile, shows how social media can be used to engage, interact and inform on a daily basis.

What are your own thoughts on this? How far should PR agencies ‘ghost’ the twitter profiles of well known sports personalities?

Eugene @the_eriugena

Damian Duff has asked Fulham to put out a press release confirming that he has no Twitter account. Sad news for his 6500 odd followers!

I figured it wasnt him because of that paltry amount of followers.

Of course you did :rolleyes:

Ah here, you believed those utterances were really him, Duff!!!

Simpleton :lol: