Twitter (Part 1)

Some good responses here

6 Likes

Paid almost a 10er for two take away hot chocolates before Christmas. Thought no more about it as part and parcel of Dublin but swore never to go back. At least I can stick by that

Wasn’t there another Bewley’s in Westmoreland Street modelled on an Indian team room . Think it is gone ?

It had bean coming a while

It’s a TGI Fridays now with the shop front preserved. It was a Starbucks before

Shame really

1 Like

Was that briefly known as The Bridge Bar at one stage? I’ve a vague recollection of watching Celtic games in there around 2008, the Thursday night they won the league on the last day springs to mind. I remember Gary Óg playing the tunes in there afterwards.

Pleeeeaaaasssse say it isn’t sooooooooo
Why Willie and Danny had to goooooooo

1 Like

Says here that active in 1999 so assume not?

I remember Bewleys being “saved” in 2004 time which led to Grafton Street staying open but Westmoreland Street closed. It was unoccupied for ages.

1 Like

Bewleys was a grand old Dublin institution when coffee and tea snobbery weren’t a thing. In the days when a coffee in a cafe consisted of some oul wan taking a spoon of maxwell house out of a five pound drum and adding boiling water from a burco, it was nice to go to Bewleys and get something that approximated coffee or indeed get leaf tea in a pot. They also did very nice sticky buns. Then the wave of coffee culture hit in the early 2000s ( after the success of Friends ) and Bewleys suddenly seemed like an anachronism. Nobody knew what village in Kenya their coffee came from. They were taken over by Campbell catering who shut most of the cafes but kept they brand alive. I imagine the brand will continue and will maybe attach to another cafe when one come up at the right price in the future.

10 Likes

Yes . Sin a bhfuil è.

There was a side door in to it beside the Palace Bar iirc

1 Like

There was.

Did Bewleys not always have okay coffee? Not artisan but far from instant.

I liked the ones in Stillorgan and Blackrock anyway, my memory was of dark wooden paneling and a foot of smoke on the roof whilst digging into some plastic tasting sausages.

The Grafton Street one always seemed like a big deal when you were younger. I don’t recall ever going to Westmoreland Street.

On Campbell Catering taking over, I love the fact that George Hook just threw away a large % of the business in a hoof one day when he got in a fight with Pat.

Was Westmoreland Street a bit close to the northside for you Tim ??:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Is there such a thing as “tea snobbery” ??

Who the hell is that slaphead with the last response? He looks demented.

No my point was that compared to the times they did do ok coffee but when the coffee shop chains came in their coffee Offering suddenly looked out of date

1 Like

I believe there is.

Yep, there was no real point in going over there, odd trip to Arnotts excepted.

Jervis Street seemed like a palace when it opened tbf.

The lad who owns Campbell catering is now a very successful sculptor cc @flattythehurdler

1 Like

The thing is though that I actually think they left a void that Starbucks kind of filled a few years later in Ireland. Half of American Starbucks are basically designed for takeaway coffee, here nearly all the Starbucks are designed to sit down in for hours.

1 Like

Thanks mate. What’s his name?