Tyrone 2020

You seem to discard the fact heā€™d nowhere near the same calibre of player from 2010 onwards yet managed to keep Tyrone at business end nonethelessā€¦
I donā€™t care much for northern football to be honest but itā€™s clear there was a media agenda against Hartes Tyrone and the public swallowed it wholeā€¦any foul play was highlighted and pinned at the door of Harteā€¦you compare it to the separation made between honoroble Sean Boylan and his blood thirsty players ā€¦imagine a tyrone player done the last minute foot trip on the galway player like Mayo lad did on Sunday ?? It would be talk of the weekā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve referred to the fact that in the two or even three tiered Ulster Championship system, Tyrone, Donegal and Monaghan shared all the Ulster titles between them in the decade just gone.

Iā€™m a little bit confused as to where Sean Boylan fits in here. One thing that is noteworthy about Sean Boylan is how he built two almost completely different All Ireland winning teams in quick succession. His All Ireland winning team of 1987/88 had no history of under age success and had players like Colm Oā€™Rourke, Joe Cassells, Gerry McEntee and Mick Lyons who were there since the mid 70ā€™s and hadnā€™t even won a Leinster before 1986. Boylanā€™s All Ireland winning teams of 1996 and 1999 did draw a few, but not too many from a minor All Ireland winning side of 1992 and an U21 All Ireland winning side of 1993.

Mickey Harte had one of the all time greats Peter Canavan and a gifted crop of underage players, who he had presided over to win a minor All Ireland in 1998 and U21 All Irelands in 2000/01. Credit to him for bringing those players through en masse to senior All Ireland success, a transition that is often not made.

As youā€™ve alluded to post 2008, he probably had a lesser calibre of player and he wasnā€™t able to do what the likes of a Sean Boylan or a Kevin Heffernan did and win an All Ireland with an almost new crop of players. A failure to beat any of Dublin, Kerry or Mayo in 12 championship seasons post 2008 is a telling statistic. Tyrone have been flat track bullies for a long time now.

1 Like

The reference to boylan is not directed at anything you said . Itā€™s just my own observation. Both teams had some proper headhunters , but boylan didnā€™t seem to suffer because of His players acts whereas the public decided it was Harte instructing his players when they done a foul strokeā€¦

Boylans Meath were seen as hardmen who gave it but also never complained when it was returned to them. They still got plenty of criticism. Hartes Tyrone team were never seen as hardmen, they were as likely to collapse to the ground feigning injury as they were to lay an opponent out. Meath pushed the boundaries on physicality, Tyrone just pushed the boundaries on gamesmanship.
Very few teams, north or south, have anything good to say about Tyrone nearly 20 years later. The Meath and Dublin teams of the early 90s are great friends, and even Meath and Cork players from that era are very friendly now though it took 10 years for things to thaw out there.

4 Likes

Different generations, Tyrone were not even in the same league as Kerry when it came to gamesmanship.

You seem like a bitter freestater.

There is great friendship betweeen the Armagh and Tyrone teams of the 00s.

The stuff Oisin McConville spoke about in his book is as low as you will ever encounter on a sports field. Itā€™s no wonder he said he had a genuine hatred for Tyrone players. There is no comparison between what Meath got up to and what Hartes Tyrone sank to.

You seem like an embittered freestater. You freestaters seem to not understand a rivalry.

Meath were tramps of the highest order, shameless thugs - Colm Oā€™Rourke boasting about sucker punching DJ Kane from behind just tells you the type of tramps they were. Meath were never interested in fair fight, just low blows.

There is a massive respect between the Tyrone and Armagh teams of the 00s so youā€™re talking out of your hole and that rivalry was as big as it got in football.

I spoke to Justy before. By Christ he fucking despised Tyrone.

1 Like

People from Laois donā€™t have the credentials to enter this discussion. Run back to your bog.

He mentioned that McGrane felt the same. Just something thoroughly unlikable about them to a man was how it was put.

In the book McConville calls Ryan McMenamin ā€œa mouthpieceā€ and revealed how when McMenamin starts, ā€œGormley starts too.ā€

McConville claims that during one league match in 2001 "he spent the whole time talking about my ma and my sister. Nothing makes you focus better than a genuine hatred and nothing gave me a greater reason for genuine hatred than a couple of their backs.

"Iā€™d heard of their carry-on before but basically McMenamin was just a mouthpiece in that league game in 2001.

The guy never shuts his mouth," writes McConville about McMenamin. "Usually when he starts, Gormley starts, too.

ā€œI wouldnā€™t say Iā€™m short tempered but I lost it and I punched Gormley in that mouthpiece of his and he started bleedingā€¦ there were two umpires there who I am convinced saw everything that had happened but never said a thing, maybe because theyā€™d heard a lot of what the lads were saying.ā€

McConville recalled a further incident in the drawn 2005 All-Ireland semi-final when another alleged verbal tirade took place.

"I was going through near the end and Ryan McMenaminā€™s foot-blocked me. Gormley was right up there straight away, thinking that it was somehow his business, but then again he seems to think everything on a football field is his business.

ā€œThe two of us were ready to go at it and next thing Brian Dooher came running from the other end of the field and said, ā€˜Donā€™t worry, Conor, he wonā€™t hit you; sure, he only hits girls.ā€™ I was still there in Gormleyā€™s face but I was slightly taken aback.ā€

Aye great respect between them alright! There are a few players from each team who are friends but that is it. Iā€™m not surprised ye have tried to convince yerselves ye are respected, but there is a price to pay for being cowards.

Recovering gambler sells a book.

You seem like an awful harmless misfortune altogether.

1 Like

Nasty business.

Gambling is a mugs game all the same. They put the boot into him.

Tell that kieran duff ā€¦the Meath men battered him in an all star match in America and wanted to finish him off at the post match functionā€¦theyā€™re all pals now but it took years to settleā€¦
Cork and Meath hated each other for years when they were rivals and took years to settleā€¦
Recently i heard both dara o cinneide and donaghy say the Tyrone lads were sound when they got to know them in last few yearsā€¦

donā€™t believe the hype

Iā€™m not surprised that a lad who idolises ā€œhere in the UKā€ Sean Cavanagh would refuse to accept the words of a Crossmaglen man. What happened to the ā€œeveryone hates us we donā€™t careā€ approach ye used to have? Desperation now to be loved God help ye.

Do you really believe Tyrone brought mouthing to GAA???

Cavanagh is a wanker.

I donā€™t idolise him.

Your inferiority complex shines through here. Think youā€™re just jealous that a county like Tyrone who had it all to overcome could go and dish out beatings to the likes of Kerry and Dublin when they were in their pomp which is something Galway teams have never been able to do. They won their All Ireland against the likes of Kildare and a past it Meath, they are devalued.

Nasty nasty business

Nasty

He thought Tyrone brought diving to the GAA when Marsden struck Jordan.

I had to show him a video in 1983 of a Galway lad diving to get Kieran Duff sent off.

1 Like

Galway bet derry in the semi in 98,where were Tyrone?