Tyrone 2021

The following players are said to have been added to the training panel for 2021, no word on any departures yet though it has been said Aidan McCrory has retired.

Danny Mc Nulty (27)
Conor McAliskey (30)
Paul Donaghy (23)
Aidan Clarke (22)
Peter Teague (24)
Tiernan Quinn (21)
Cormac Munroe (21)
Mark McKearney (22)
Lee Brennan (25)
Johnny Munroe (28)

McNulty probably the most interesting name out of that, was full forward on the u21 team that won the All Ireland in 2015 but has had some really bad times with injury since, had a very serious back injury. Heā€™s a target man so could be a useful foil for McShane. Would have worries about his fitness mobility issues but if he can prove those then heā€™d be a fantastic asset going forward.

Great to see McAliskey back, if heā€™s on his game he is starter material.

Donaghy was the star of the club championship, top scorer, superb off either foot. Big lad at 6ft2 but very skinny and would really need to pack on some muscle to make it at the top level of county football but good to see him given the chance.

Donā€™t know much about Clarke, was corner back on the u20 team that won Ulster in 2019 and seemingly has been playing very well with Omagh.

Teague is very highly regarded, will probably vie for a position in the full back line or centre back. Heā€™s been a very impressive performer for Dromore and he should be good enough to challenge for a starting spot.

Quinn has been outstanding for Coalisland and Tyrone u20s in recent years, a really classy player with a great left foot. He has a lot of competition there and a few more years of physical development before he will be ready.

The two Munroe brothers are called up. Jonathan was with Tyrone before but dropped off the panel in 2017. It was a surprising move as he had actually been involved frequently under Harte, he had that iconic shoulder on McGlynn in the Ulster final in 2016. If he is still at a good level he could be another guy knocking hard for a starting spot. The younger brother Cormac is also very highly rated, was full back for the u20s squad this year but think heā€™ll struggle to make inroads this year.

McKearney was one of the stars for Dungannon this year, a slip of a lad but quite similar to Ryan McHugh in that he is one of those players that just seems to be able to slip all these heavy hits. Usually plays wing back/wing forward. Iā€™d have doubts about his size but he is very wirey and he could actually make a real impact at wing forward for Tyrone I think with his energy and decision making.

Lee Brennan is also back again, this time with even more competition around him. Nobody doubts his ability but he will have to show more in terms of his attitude and work rate if he wants to earn his spot on the team.

Should be a nice freshness to the squad this year but I think itā€™s a bit of a worry the midfield area has not been addressed with any new faces. Would really have to liked to see Paudie McNulty back in the squad.

2 Likes

@Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy
I have grave news. I recently had a conversation with a former Tyrone manager. The conversation focused on general country matters, the weather etc. As we parted I asked him if darragh was ā€˜the real dealā€™. He assured me that he was and that the younger brother ruairi could well be better.
He mentioned that darragh could take the light out of your eye.

Think Darragh will be better than Ruairi, much more like his Da with his speed of thought and quick hands.

Ruairi is a stockier build and looks to be a heavier scorer. Darragh will have to deal with the burden of hype so might allow Ruairi come in under the radar.

Thereā€™s a lad called Mark Devlin from Moortown who I expect to be a huge star in the coming years.

Harry Loughran forced to retire with injury at the age of 26. Had a great knack of clutch scores for Tyrone and Moy. He probably only had about 100 mins of Championship football for Tyrone but scored two absolutely crucial goals.

Huge loss for Moy.

1 Like

That grouping of players/management are having a shocking time of it, as far back as the late 90ā€™s. Awful.

How is that man, is he pulling through? :crossed_fingers:t2:

Good news I am happy to say.

2 Likes

Lee Brennan named at corner back but heā€™s a late replacement for Hampsey. He obviously wonā€™t start, Iā€™d say his brother will come into the starting team.

Good to see McAliskey back on the bench, still no McShane. If they go with McKenna in the full forward line againā€¦

No natural midfielder in the squad. Talk that McClure and McNulty gone from the squad as they played for Clonoe last night, McClure actually started last weekend.

Be interesting to see how our defence handles this lively and pace Monaghan attack.

Thatā€™s some strong bench.

Should have Kennedy, Hampsey and McShane hopefully to return.

Rafferty was arguably Tyroneā€™s best player last year but hasnā€™t been given much of a look in yet.

McKenna and Donnelly at midfield for the throw in.

Rory Brennan has started ahead of his brother in the team named.

1 Like

Dazzler with the first score.

Stirring up nicely for yaā€™s.

McShane is vital though.

Donaghy coughs up the ball too easily inside for a big man, McKenna needs to play out the pitch and the other lads are too small to be the ball winner inside.

McAliskey has dropped off the panel. The other Clonoe lads have joined them.

Seems a bit premature to me. I rate McAliskey and I can imagine that he was frustrated with not getting an outing in the opening games but itā€™s a short season and he should have waited his time. Heā€™s the most physical out of smaller inside forwards so I think he deserved a game inside to see how he could do with no sign of McShane yet.

McClure and Danny McNulty not much of a loss if truth be told.

McAliskey turns 30 this year so probably is the end of his intercounty career.

Some big surprises there.

No McKenna or Canavan
McShane and Conroy on the bench
Kilpatrick thrown into midfield without really being seen during the league

Theyā€™ll steamroll Cavan.

Did they have to continue paying mcshane during lockdown?

Heā€™s done some lovely ambassadorial tweets. Heā€™s our very own Troy McClure.

Conroy is an interesting one. Shot the lights out at club championship level last year but was dropped from the U20 team and didnā€™t feature in their campaign after allegedly shitting in a public bathroom sink on a team trip away in Donegal.

Heā€™s a bit of a physical presence and is a heavy scorer which is something we really lack inside.

Rafferty, Lee Brennan and Cassidy are a few others missing from the 26.

Munroe doesnā€™t make the squad after featuring in all the league games.

Hope McShane can get some minutes a Tyrone show drastic improvement from Killarney. Huge opportunity for Kilpatrick.

2 Likes