Tyrone 2021

Cathal McCarron featured last night on Prime Time on a piece on gambling

U20s in action against Donegal at present.

Mattie McGleenan’s young lad is some unit for an u20.

What the fuck is wrong with Tyrone footballers

What was wrong this evening was the absence of someone to shoot the lights out. Posted a massive amount of wides. The amount of turnovers they forced and their ball carrying abilities was a treat to watch.

Conroy would be overage this year anyway. Would have had high hopes for that Tyrone team.

They seemed to be missing a few players. There was a lad called Mark Devlin from Moortown on the equivalent minor team 2 years back who didn’t make the squad yesterday and he looked a sublime talent. McGleenan didn’t feature despite being named to start either.

1 Like

An improved display there yesterday. With the ball I thought we were good, played with our heads up and McCurry’s movement was sensational and his finishing even better.

McShane was sharp when he came on, Kilpatrick was excellent in the middle. Backline was very tight.

Concern for me is our kickout strategy or lack of, Donegal have destroyed us in this area in the past year or two and we struggled in this sector against Cavan yesterday.

Few injury/suspension concerns now. Kilpatrick pulled up near the end yesterday, McNamee got a straight red. McKenna, Rafferty, Cassidy and Canavan didn’t maje the 26 yesterday.

Presuming McNamee is the only absentee of that group I would go along the lines of:

1. Morgan
  2. McKernan
  3. Hampsey
  4. Brennan
  5. McCann
  6. O’Neill
  7. Harte
  8. R Donnelly
  9. Kilpatrick
  10. M Donnelly
  11. McKenna
  12. Meyler
  13. McCurry
  14. Donaghy
  15. McGeary

Would have us with some strong options off the bench like McShane, Bradley, Canavan, Kennedy, Burns, Rafferty and Cassidy if all available.

I’m more confident about Donegal than I would have been prior to yesterday

I’m less confident about Donegal beating Tyrone after yesterday. Entertaining game of football. You could feel the tribalism flooding from McGuinness and Canavan post match.

1 Like

Yeah. Both teams will certainly feel unprepared for a game of this magnitude going into it. Donegal will have question marks over Murphy’s fitness. I’d be very surprised if he starts today.

Tyrone though seem to have more question marks over player availability. McKenna and Canavan weren’t even fit to make the bench today. I don’t see McShane starting yet, McNamee likely suspended now and Kilpatrick probably a doubt too.

If Tyrone can sort their kickouts out and stay switched on for the Donegal ones then I think they will have the edge. Tyrone will have a stronger bench in play I think.

1 Like

Absolutely. If Tyrone get past Donegal they could have patched the wounded and got McShane sharp for the AI Semi. Good to see Dooher and Logan get a win. They’re a likeable pair, as was Micky.
The best thing to happen during the league was Murphy’s injury, as the youngsters eventually stood up to help out McBrearty and McHugh to get results. There’s no harm in letting him start on the bench. I’d say he might only have around 2yrs left in him anyway. Either way, we should be pulling away in the 3rd quarter.

1 Like
1 Like

#freerony

I hope he gets a one match ban or at the very least wait until the game in Brewster is over until the make a decision to pardon him.
It could be the margin that would win or lose this game unless we completely collapse.

Seconded.

Motion carried.

1 Like

Rory Brennan looked to be at the game yesterday so he doesn’t look like he was one of the Covid absentees.

McCann, Burns and R Donnelly look to be the three impacted that way. I can only assume Brennan was injured.

I’m also surprised that neither Cassidy and Rafferty are making the 26 at present. Both were in the team photo yesterday with the cup so they weren’t Covid absentees, perhaps they are injured. When Tyrone had to make 2 changes to the 26 pre match and neither of them can make the squad it’s a bit surprising. I presume they are injured as Rafferty in particular was one of Tyrone’s best players last year.

What will Kerry beat Tyrone by? 6 to 8? Kerry always get the easy side of the draw.

I’d say about that. Tyrone still very much a work in progress. Will need a full season next year to get as real handle on how they want to play and get McShane back fit.

Mugsy!!!

The u20s should go well next year with the minor lads being very good this year and decentish minor teams the two years before that could have done more.

Looks like Mattie Donnelly may have done his ACL last night.