U-21 Hurling 2018

Not sure . I was reading the PROC and someone said they are in semi . Seems they are

New system this year as Galway and Antrim are part of Leinster championship in 2018.

Munster champions will play beaten Leinster finalists in one A-I semi final. Leinster champions v beaten Munster finalists in the other.

So basically a provincial semi final is the big game to win to get a bit of a run… lose and you are out for the year.

2 Likes

Very interesting makes Tipp and Lmk a right dinger tomorrow night then.Giving that Cork side a second chance is huge likewise Galway.

1 Like

Big game . The new system doesn’t alter that however if we get to final a game in PUC isn’t life or death albeit would be nice to beat them .

Seamus Casey. It’s mentioned in the post you replied to. FFS sake.

The messing around with this championship is a load of bollix. Leave it u21s and straight knockout ffs.

1 Like

Ah it’s not messing to change from what was a ridiculous system.

Tonight was the night they were going to be ambushed, if at all, this year. Waterford just didn’t have that marquee forward to cut loose.

Going to be hard to quieten all of Coleman, Fitzgibbon, Kingston and O’Flynn on any given night. Waterford did as well as could be expected in nullifying them and still got beat…

And that’s without factoring in Tim O’Mahony who was named at full forward tonight but didn’t start or play any part. A few average players on that Cork team but you can carry them when you’ve the match winners at the other end of the pitch.

You mentioned long range so I thought there might have been someone else taking shorter ones

Dodgy

How did young Prunty do for Deise . Seemed decent on the bit I saw .

Sorry for being touchy, pal. He hit all the frees but none were handy 21 yard ones. Most from between the 45 and 65, one from midfield and one from way inside his own half. Only missed one similarly long range one from inside our half and also knocked over a 65.

1 Like

My main preference would be for it to stay U21s, Whatever about minor going to U17, I don’t get this championship going to U20’s next year.

1 Like

Oh right, agree completely there. But I don’t think it’s a bad thing to bring Galway and Antrim into Leinster.

1 Like

The straight knockout is what keeps the 21 grade relevant,every game is do or die and only a top performance will keep you in it.

How did lynch do at corner back for waterford?

He got one outrageous point IIRC and was tidy enough overall. Waterford had no star name but just were well organised overall. Never really had the sense they’d ever win the game even during their periods of ascendancy.

Cork will probably win the whole thing out without hitting top gear. The strong lads are just very, very strong at this level.

1 Like

Really hoping P Casey hits the ground running tomorrow night. Expect him and Flanagan to give Tipps full backline plenty to think about.

Fitzgibbon in midfield is the type of player who may not burn a ball for the whole game and then come to life and fire over 2-3 scores when the games there to be won,a proper match winner especially at this grade.

1 Like

Can’t really remember to be honest pal, Healy threatened to roast one of the corner backs early on (made a couple of great catches and runs etc) but the Waterford full back line steadied down after that. Their problems in the second half emanated from a swamped half forward line and midfield.

1 Like

He always seems to get on a lot of ball .