UEFA Champions League 2018/2019 Round of 16

Fine margins between winning and losing. The season before, eventual champions Red Star Belgrade advanced to the final, courtesy of a 90th minute own goal from Klaus Augenthaler in the second leg of the semi final in Belgrade.

That was a comical goal - one of the worst goalkeeping mistakes I’ve ever seen, at least until the spate of high profile ones in May and June of last year. The tie was heading to extra-time though so Red Star wouldn’t have gone out had it not happened.

Red Star themselves had nearly put out AC Milan in the round of 16 in 88-89. The second leg was abandoned into the second half due to fog when it looked like Red Star were going to do the business, but the game had to be restarted from scratch the next day or two days later and Milan won.

Edit: just Googled it there (cc: of @anon32894817) - the first leg in Milan finished 1-1 and Red Star were 1-0 ahead after 65 minutes of the second leg when it was abandoned.

Game went ahead the next day from scratch and finished 1-1 with Milan winning on penalties.

1 Like

If that semi final had proceeded to the lottery, they could still be taking them. Never back against the Germans in a shoot out and all that, but that Red Star team proved themselves very proficient from the penalty spot in the final.

3 Likes

in your absolute rush to try fish Liverpool fans you made a clusterfuck of slating them for not winning a league but getting into the Champions league, yet your beloved Red Devils who you are claiming in the modern era from 99 shouldnt have been in it either as they didnt win the league. You also consider the modern era only from 93 with its group stages and later on runners up and 3/4th teams, yet you dont recognise teams who do not win the league as legitimate champions, but dont consider anything before when it was only for teams who won their domestic league.

Up your game son, your fishing is all over the fucking place and you’re making a show of yourself with your contradictions all over the shop.

2 Likes

Sure Sid quickly pointed that out and I agreed. They shouldn’t have been in the competition. You need to learn to read.

Tell you what, you learn to type all the word you mean to write in a sentence and I’ll read them then and try understand you.

The introduction of the group phase completely changed the competition. That’s why I consider it the modern era. It’s a totally different format. Nothing to do with league champions only.

You’ve made a complete idiot of yourself again. You can’t even read properly.

Best of luck fishing today anyway buddy. You might catch a few

What are you on about?

1 Like

I’m shocked you’re writing off Man Utd’s win in 1999 as it was part of that famous treble.

Great bantz

1 Like

He did

I remember jimmy greaves calling him “ catch me if you can”

https://twitter.com/EPLBible/status/1095620971329978368?s=19

1 Like

Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

Ha.

An absolute howler by Courtois.

Ajax 1 Real Madrid 0.

Ah for fook’s sake.

Goal disallowed on a review.

Utterly ridiculous decison.

The suits have spoken.

Real Madrid must be protected at all costs.

1 Like

Ajax are well on top here. They certainly deserve to be in front and should be.

Dortmund seem to be missing quite a few players tonight - Reus, Alcacer, Piszczek, Akjani and Weigl all missing tonight.