Uk Affairs - Sterling is taking a Pounding

You get paid in Sterling?

Sometimes

Dont change it into rubles

2 Likes

Iā€™ll have to cancel my subscription to the donetsk peoples republic weekly

1 Like

Itā€™s bouncing around. Hard to know what to do. Generally the market is negative, but a Forex feed I often read which is usually pessimistic about sterling reckons this could go either way.
Personally Iā€™m surprised sterling as stayed as high for as long. I reckon itā€™ll hit about 1.04 to the euro before stabilising. Then, it will either be a long slow drag back, or the IMF.
They could of course immediately stabilise it by rejoining the free trade area of the EU, and properly be a rule taker then. At some point theyā€™ll have to, but Iā€™d reckon they may even have to put it to a referendum unless the next govt can clearly articulate why (and wash the brexiteers dirty dirty linen in public)
I donā€™t think itā€™s dawned on Liz that energy is largely priced in foreign currency unfortunately.
I wouldnā€™t want to be a small independent coffee shop at present.

1 Like

The tans now have a cross between Chile 1970s and turkey 2020s.

It would be fascinating to watch if only they were not clinging on to our land

Not for that much longer. In the end game now.

1 Like

A long end-game to be played out yet.

Meanwhile the ukip government is running riot.

Ajai-Chopra-31-390x285

They probably do need to go that high. Sure didnā€™t we have them at 15% in the 90ā€™s? The economies have been pumped with cheap cash since 2007/8. Unfortunately there is no magic money tree.

2 Likes

There sort of was, but it could only be shaken once, and gently, and only only everyone acted in unison. Acted as a soother rather than a cure. Unfortunately it was shaken to death. Any further shaking and someone will get hit by dead branches.

It is a longish end game, but an end game nonetheless.

All Starmer has to do is avoid getting caught dogging and heā€™ll be PM. Then again that might boost his vote.,

By the looks of it , his first meeting will be with Christine Lagarde

2 Likes

Well the BBC played it quite well, got a Bloomberg and Sydney MH correspondent on to discuss (and Polly Toynbee). They were highly sceptical.

Seems like an absolutely mental move from Truss to sign up to all of these budgetary commitments so early in her term. She must be just guessing. It looks like she has tanked an already tanking economy

Probably had no choice for households as weeks away from wholesale carnage of people not paying electricity bills. She has writen a lot of blank cheques though

UK is fucked

1 Like

She wonā€™t make the next election.

1 Like

May not see xmas

Thatā€™s what I wanted to type but I didnā€™t want to be accused of hyperbolay. Sheā€™s so hapless it could happen.