Uk Affairs - Sterling is taking a Pounding

It is the rational way for them to go.

Red wallers have always been a one off gift for the Tories that couldn’t sustain itself. There’s been lots of efforts at defacto bribes with Levelling Up but there was always going to be a swing back to Labour.

2019 was a once off bit of luck and circumstance for the the Tories. A keen eye on the results showed that once “Brexit was sorted” in the eyes of the average voter than the Tory seat total would fall off dramatically. They are going to lose a lot of seats in the south as the Lib Dems vote shrinks.

Trying to maintain the farce of Johnson and his culture wars Brexiteerism is the only way to keep that party going for those northern MPs.

If it’s the membership who decide the whittling down of three candidates to two Johnson is a shoo-in if he gets the 100 MPs.

I thought I was the most cynical bastard imaginable in terms of my belief in how shameless the Tories are willing to be, how much they are willing to debase themselves, but even I honestly thought 44 days was too soon for them to take Johnson back.

How naive I was!

I think MPs vote to get it down to two

2 Likes

This is a good thread about the chaos another Johnson tenure could unleash. Be interesting to see if Jeremy Hunt says anything. He could either kill off Johnson’s chances of regaining the leadership or condemn another Johnson tenure to disaster if he came out against him before Monday.

If Sunak gets the gig, its the only half chance a few of the red wallers will have of retaining their seats. The tories will still get a kicking but ad they say in gaa terms "they might win the second half " and bring some degree of respectability. As the polls stand at the moment, the SNP would be the biggest opposition party if there was an election tomorrow

The membership won’t vote for Sunak in large part because most of them are old and racist as fuck.

The Tories went down to 165 seats in 1997 and didn’t do any better in 2001 but they largely held onto their heartlands.

Sunak or probably Penny Mordaunt would at least hold onto the Tory heartlands for them and keep them in 1997/2001 territory or better, even if they lost heavily. I think Johnson would be more likely to lose these heartlands while not holding onto much if any of the red wall either.

Putting Boris back in would be a nice nod to the Italian football tradition of managerial appointments

Animated GIF

My interpretation of Sir Graham Brady’s outline was that it took 100 nominations to get to the ballot stage. His rationale was I thought cleverly couched that only in a situation where they had 2 candidates practically deadlocked would the process involve the party membership.

So, potentially they get to a 3 way ballot (unlikely) the hope is that the lowest drops out and favours one of the two remaining thus avoiding the messy membership charade. I don’t see Johnson returning.

1 Like

ERG holding their water until Monday apparently. He’ll promise them the world and they’s fall for it, fucking loons that they are.

Johnson is basically this guy
Saddam Hussein Saddam GIF by South Park - Find & Share on GIPHY

3 Likes

Current standing
Rishi 87
Boris 63
Penny 23

Looking like a straight up head to head between non-dom and dumb dumb. The live TV debate will be box office

1 Like

Johnson out to 9/4 which is odd as he looks more likely than ever to make the run off.

Be some craic if Boris got to 99

There’s room for word-play in that one Mike……:wink:

2 Likes

Bookies wouldn’t be offering that if they fancied him

1 Like

The gover is doing some work in the background here

1 Like

Labour wouldn’t want a majority of that size.

That’d be funny as fuck tbh.