Uk Affairs - Sterling is taking a Pounding

That was my read of it. He was unflappable, shameless almost.

That man is a legend.

What is it about him that you find legendary?

Meh. They just talked over each other. He’s some man to bluff it out.
I think he went a little pink though.

1 Like

BBC must restore ‘British accents’ to its news coverage, says Simon McCoy

McCoy claimed ‘no British accents’ on the domestic news channel presents a problem for licence fee payers

ByCraig Simpson29 April 2023 • 12:46am

Former presenter suggested there were problems with trying to serve both an international and a domestic audience

Former BBC presenter Simon McCoy has suggested the corporation is failing licence fee payers over a lack of “British accents” in its news courage.

The newsreader has raised concerns about the merger of the BBC News and BBC World News channels, which he claimed has created a channel skewed towards international rather than domestic stories, despite the British public paying for it.

McCoy claimed that this “domestic news channel… with no British accents on it” presents a problem for licence fee payers.

He said: “At a time when the BBC is under such pressure, when you’re talking about an institution which people in their hearts do care about, but see daily a lowering of standards, and then you’re watching a domestic news channel, and it is a domestic news channel overnight coming from Singapore from Washington - and I’ll be pilloried for this - but with no British accents on it."

Speaking on the Beeb Watch podcast, he added: “You’ve got BBC licence fee payers paying for that - I think there is going to be a problem with that.”

The channel merger has already caused problemswithin the BBC, with job losses looming for presenters, and it has been suggested that audiences will also be affected.

McCoy, who became a familiar face on BBC Breakfast and BBC News before leaving for a brief spell at GB News, has claimed that there are problems with trying to serve both an international and a domestic audience.

He has suggested that rival broadcasters like Sky could use the diluted BBC domestic coverage as an impunity to poach the corporation’s UK audience.

Is Starmer the most dangerous politician in the UK?

The Toryfication of the Labour party is surely very damaging and concerning for British politics.

You can only win an election from the centre ground. Judge him on what he does if he gets a large enough overall majority to act.

Judge him on what. Declaring open war on trade unions trying to get a better deal for their beleaguered workers? Judge him on kicking the most principled politician the Labour party have ever had out of it?

Starmer is a Tory who stands for Tory policies. Someone who is palatable to the right wing British media.

1 Like

He’ll do nathin’

Blair bent the knee to Murdoch to make sure he got in - Starmer will have to do likewise if he wants to get in, unfortunately.

1 Like

And therein lies the problem.

Starmer is a man with no convictions, only an ego and self-serving attitude to fulfill his own personal achievements.

You live in a fantasy world of candy and unicorns

1 Like

And you are a cheerleader for Tories.

Reminds me of this scene from The Campaign a few years back

1 Like
1 Like

Car manufacturers putting the boot into the Tories about the Brexit deal.

Will Self is after getting himself in hot water for writing an article about Adrian Chiles’s cock. Gas cunts.

Crikey :flushed:

What sort of hot water? Decent read that, if a little too image provoking for my liking.