UK general election 2019 - corbinned

As for the Tories’ promises of investment, we only have to look to Trump

He adopted the fake clothes of post war social democracy by promising massive infrastructure investment

Where is it?

Nowhere

Absolutely nothing done or even attempted

The only “infrastructure” he’s managed are a few fences and concentration camps set up on the US’s southern border, which nobody needed

The Tories promised 200,000 starter homes in 2014

They have provided precisely 0

That should tell people how serious they are in their promises of investment in anything

Alan Moore is commander Waterford without the hot wife.

Well as I said, Labour in the UK got 41% and almost 13m votes last time and their manifesto proved very popular

Blair’s Labour got under 10m votes in 2005

Ed Miliband ran on a centrist platform in 2015

This was the exact platform that conventional wisdom now says would sweep an election

I don’t believe that’s true at all - he was subject to widespread media vilification and his platform, while certianly better than the alternative, did not really engage the young or the disenfranchised

Somebody has to drag the Overton window back towards the left and make people re-engage with the concept of society rather than economic individualism

If Labour don’t do it, nobody will because that’s the way the electoral system is, in fact if they don’t, they may well be outflanked on the left by the Green Party because the green agenda will be massive going forward

The Tories and Republicans have dragged the Overton window far to the right and nobody called them unelectable, because they have the media in their pocket

Nobody ever calls far right parties “unelectable”, they only say it about parties of the perceived left

Labour is in fact dragging the Tories back left as regards their manifesto, though we all know the Tory manifesto will be nothing but lies

They will adopt the clothes of social democracy in order to implement a radical slash and burn regime

But if the Labour manifesto is as crazy as some people make out, why will the Tories try to copy it?

The media is the biggest problem - they control the means of information, and they are owned by the rich

That goes back to what I said about the eco-system of democracy

Democracy is not merely an electoral system, it depends on a free but responsible press and good levels of education so as to enable it to take placee in a world where objective truths matter

The media landscape we now have is increasingly dragging us into a world where objective truths no longer matter

The Opinion polls indicate (and I know it’s only polls) that Labour is losing the working class voters. Why is that?

Phrases like “the marketplace of ideas” have made this possible

If lies cannot be called such, andthe BBC may claim such but in practice they stop the calling out of lies, the world of objective truth ceases to exist, and you are on the road to a Russia model where reality is literally turned on its head and lies become accepted as truths and truths become accepted as lies

This is no exaggeration - one only has to look at the US where they now have that exact situation

Britain is rapidly getting there and it has been enabled in that by a widespread failure of journalism and media

Theresa May got 13.6m should she be running again?

Mobilisation of hatred, lies, propaganda, the deliberate changing of politics into a culture/race war - ie. political technologism

Transferring blame onto those who do not deserve it, the manufacturing of imagined threats and the airbrushing of real ones

This can only be achieved with the help of media - in the UK, the US and Russia, the media is on board with it

The likes of Richard Litteljohn, Katie Hopkins, Rod Liddle and the former Tories in charge at the BBC like Robbie Gibb, etc. are as much political technologists as the likes of Dominic Cummings

That’s how Brexit won

How has Polish politics been turned into a conspiracy based world where reality is a rapidly dimishing currency, by the likes of Antoni Macierewicz and the Law and Justice party?

Through many of the same techniques, I’d imagine

Don’t forget forum favorite Rachel Riley

Theresa May got 13.6m in a climate which was immensely favourable to her, where the media was telling her to crush the saboteurs and the judiciary was the enemy of the people

What Theresa May didn’t have that Boris Johnson has is a teflon shamelessness, for all her roboticism she portrayed an outward weakness and vulnerability that Johnson doesn’t portray

The public, no matter which country it is, have always liked people they perceive to be charismatic strongmen, who are in fact lazy bluffers and charlatans

Sure the German public liked Hitler, didn’t they

Confidence tricksterism, in other words

Johnson certainly is a confidence trickster

Well the manufactured anti-Semitism crisis is classic political technologism

It’s a hit job the Russians would be proud of - even if the Russians themselves are raving anti-Semites who portrayed Ukraine as part of a global anti-Russia conspiracy organised by the Jews and the gays, in order to manufacture a reason to invade

The biggest factor in PIS holding power in Poland is introducing 120 euros a month children’s allowance. Redistributive capitalism you might call it. Fortunately Morawiecki is much more rational than the likes of Macierewicz who is rumoured to be a Russian agent. And the electorate were smart enough not to give them a majority sufficient to permit constitutional change.

My understanding is that Macierewicz while rumoured to be a Russian agent or asset adopted heavily anti-Russian rhetoric, such as claiming that the Russians were to blame for the 2010 air crash, though they obviously weren’t

Is that correct

Some questions about Poland:

Is it true that it is now a criminal offence to say that any Polish people were complicit in the Holocaust

Did the murder of that liberal mayor of Gdansk have any impact on the way people see politics

To what extent is the press clamped down on in Poland

To what extent is the judiciary compromised or influenced by the ruling party

Are there fringe groups pushing anti-Ukrainian sentiment, I’m sure I heard about that

Is there any realistic prospect of the ruling party being turfed out in the foreseeable future or is Poland increasingly moving towards what Hungary is like, or is it even already there

I read a fairly frightening article by Anne Applebaum about a year ago in The Atlantic about Poland and Hungary

I generally get my views on Poland and Hungary from Jewish commentators

I’ll reply later on when I have the cloak on

5 Likes

Make sure you have two cans of Guinness ready, or Zywiec if Guinness is not available

1 Like

Thought Corbyn was really good there, you would say that, says you

But I did think he was very fluent and looked very energised and is good in that sort of a format - he is persuasive when speaking in fornt of an audience like that

He announced he’d remain neutral in any prospective second Brexit referendum

Harold Wilson did the same in 1975

I think it’s a more than reasonable position personally and respects all sides

Guardian verdict below

Jeremy Corbyn – Snap verdict

Often the best way to seize the initiative on a programme like this is to make news, and that’s what Jeremy Corbyn did tonight. He gave us a story, confirming for the first time that he would be neutral in a second Brexit referendum. The Tories will criticise him for this – they’ve started already (see 7.24pm) but at least now Corbyn will not have to put up with headlines like the ones he faced on Saturday, when he was criticised for refusing to say nine times what he would do in such a referendum. Tonight his answer seemed to close down some of the criticism he was getting from the audience over Brexit.

Otherwise he faced quite a lot of hostility, which he handled reasonably well. The most aggressive questioning came from the man who asked about Corbyn’s failure to intervene at a press conference to protect the Labour MP Ruth Smeeth from a heckler. Corbyn’s resort to a stock answer was not impressive, but the anger of the questioner sounded contrived (even by the standards of this programme) and of the two men in the exchange, Corbyn sounded the more reasonable.

It’s uncanny how Jo Swinson has become much better looking since becoming Liberal Democrat leader

She has the professionals on the scrubbing job

Jo telling us what can’t be done

Yeah, thanks for that, Jo

Inspiring

So his position on Brexit is that he has no position, the most important issue facing the UK in generations, he has no opinion?
Serious leadership.

Corbyn has managed to shift the tories from 5/4 to 1/2 for an overall majority

The Lib Dems can’t be taken seriously as regards what they say about Labour’s Brexit policy

As recently as six months ago the Lib Dems were a second referendum party, which presumably would have been a referendum against May’s deal, there was even talk of a three way referendum with a crash out on the ballot

Now Labour are offerIng a second referendum on a softer Brexit than May’s versus Remain and suddenly it’s not good enough for the Lib Dems, because they want the pie in the sky of revoking Article 50