Unpopular opinions or views you hold

Sinead O’Connor went beyond the content of her songs. She was a force of nature underpinned by a voice and vocal delivery that was pretty much unrivalled anywhere.

2 Likes

It in the ear if the beholder so there’s no point, you’ll disagree with whatever.

I’d agree with this, though there are other such voices about.

Who would be a musical genius by your definition? Just so there is a barometer

I don’t understand why people can’t just judge music for what it is and are always trying to measure or compare.

Sinead O’Conner is one of the few singers who made me cry with her voice.

She was a stunningly beautiful woman who hid away from her beauty. The world will miss her.

2 Likes

Doubt you’ve ever listened to it.

You are one thick man.

The world won’t.

:grimacing:

Apologies, I forgot you were infallible.

No gauge on what you consider to be musical genius?

I figured.

It’s a fact glas. The world won’t miss her any more than you or I or Christy Duignam. Twitter will move on, and people will slowly forget. It’s the way of things.
Does anyone give any thought to such as Whitney Houston these days? Not really

2 Likes

Jesus but you’re a callous bastard

People with a passing interest in music would remember Bach, Mozart and Beethoven and they all died over 200 years ago.

Music lovers would remember Hildegard von Bingen and she died in 1179.

If you’re comparing Sinead to Whitney my dog has better taste than you.

I still miss Uaneen Fitzsimons

1 Like

Unpopular opinion alert,
I think people react to celebrity deaths in different ways, it’s obvious here from the appropriate threads,
Personally they don’t really have an effect on me bar the initial shock, I was a fan of Sinead’s music and saw her play four times, I felt terrible for her troubles but there was nothing I could do to help, so I’ll read the obits, nod along and move on. I didn’t actually know her.
My wife is a huge fan of hers and has been for over thirty years, she always feared this event, she’s been crying while listening and watching the memorial stuff, she’ll remember this forever, and Sinead’s legacy etc, so I understand both arguments here,
Will she be remembered? Of course, she was an international superstar for a while, she was Irish, she was a fragile soul with a voice that hasn’t been matched by many.
But we’ll move on, is that possibly what @flattythehurdler is saying here?

6 Likes

We’ll all move on. It’s sad but some people act like they’ve lost a loved one. Next week it’ll be another celebrity. Then another.

There’s a few people on my social feeds that seem to be perpetually in grief due to some celebrity or other passing away. It’s so fake.

I felt sad for a bit yesterday cos Sinead died, particularly as she suffers from an illness that runs through my family and I know how it can make life dam near impossible but, at the end of the day, life goes on. I didn’t know her, I rarely listen to her music.

16 Likes

I don’t have social media, other than here, so don’t base my standards off that or how other people react.

Talent will always be missed. Not on a personal level, like a loved one.

Sinead was widely recognised the World over for her voice and her activism, she meant more than music to some people, especially women. I have a close friend who is genuinely upset by it and it isnt for show

Bringing twitter or social media into it is fairly callous and a pretty low way to try and belittle people who are actually saddened

I’m not trying to belittle anyone and I know grief is a personal thing. But there is a cohort on social media who seem to treat every celebrity death like a personal loss. It literally can’t affect them that bad every time.

1 Like

That world is alien to me.

I would recommend anybody with half a brain to avoid it like the plague. Its not real

Long time before we see the likes of herself or Dolores O’Riordan again coming out of Ireland.

World class singer, incredible + unique look and a real intensity as a performer.

Very special talent, if she had any interest at all in the commercial side of it, she could’ve had her whole career at the very top.

2 Likes