Unpopular opinions or views you hold

Celtoc fans made Grace and the Fields of Athenry popular

It’s too hard to sing, the current fad won’t last

They did.

Grace is a lovely song and it has rekindled public interest in the rebellion of 1798

1 Like

A young man from Malahide who loves whiskey and horses sang it in a kitchen in Emyvale about 3 in the morning after the Ulster sevens in 1997 and it was beautiful.

He had a granny, a mother and her daughter we were both trying it on with in the palm of his hand.

I had known the song but I remember saying that night I’m learning it.

It’s actually a lovely song but ruined when the likes of the conservative Rod Stewart sang it.

3 Likes

Fixed that for ya.

The Voyage by Christy Moore sickens my hole. Schmaltzy aul shit

8 Likes

Grace is a beautiful love song

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more! “Now gathered round us, we have our own crew” piss off Christy.

1 Like

The first time I heard it I was lying in bed in a flat in rathmines in the mid afternoon circa January 98. A friend of one of the lads we lived with came bursting in to rouse us from our slumbers singing it. But he changed the words to ‘grace just hold me in your arms and let me smell your finger’. We got up and watched home and away.

7 Likes

Great post. I feel the same about Jeff Buckley’s warbling version of hallelujah.

2 Likes

There was a story in the paper a few years ago that he ended up destitute.

There were some brilliant players playing in Scotland in that era. The Old Firm games were epic.

Money in EPL has ruined football in a lot of ways.

4 Likes

What about Jeff Buckley’s “Grace”?

Hold on a second now.

1 Like

anyone that thinks that’s warbling needs to go to an ear doctor

pure beauty

5 Likes

Pop idol ruined that song not Jeff.

1 Like

Buckley’s version is incredible.

If ever there was a case of the cover being better than the original.

5 Likes

Spawned a generation of whiny emotional men with guitars, my single most hated genre of music.

1 Like

Whether it did or didn’t, that doesn’t say anything about his version of the song itself.

Also you’d go a long way to hear anyone describe Buckley’s voice as whiny.

1 Like