Unpopular opinions or views you hold

I did but you couldn’t pick up the signal in Ireland

Was that the one broadcast from a ship / boat?
You could pick it up on longwave?

How could you not get it in Waterford if I was picking it up in south Galway? They were based in the Netherlands or in the North Sea.

Maybe you had a “special” radio.

Yes, several boats. The most famous one sank and almost drowned the 2 DJs, the lifeboat that saved them got numerous awards.

1 Like

We could pick up Radio Luxembourg the finest which was a great channel

1 Like

If you were into shite I suppose.

That is one for the things I learned today thread for me.
Never knew there was a few boats involved or let alone drownings.

You’re the dick.

He’s expressing his opinion.

There is a huge cohort of cunts feigning loss for Sinead, cunts who couldn’t name an album.

Flatty is pointing that out & the greater world will move on like they do after every death of a celebrity.

5 Likes

I don’t have all the details, but it was an Irish lad that set it up
and kept it running for at least a decade. They were chased out of British waters several times and mostly operated off the Netherlands. Used to play whole albums the day they were released.

1 Like

All dubs apart from big jack? What’s the analysis there?

U2 used to win early years with 11 o’clock tick tock? Did he change over in later years to top 50 of that year only? Ah he was essential listening in the early years of rte2 radio for ne anyway

1 Like

This is what used win it the whole time I remember (listening to Dave Fanning pretending to be studying for the Leaving) Bad the Live version.
Its easily their greatest moment in fairness, not even bono could ruin it

3 Likes

No he didn’t. It was always a greatest hits of indie and none the worse for it.

3 Likes

Before RTÉ Radio 2 was launched in 1979 (wiki) Larry Gogan used be on VHF in the afternoons when we’d get home from school. It wasn’t exactly RTÉ 2 but it was different from RTÉ 1. Just for a few hours.

1 Like

Luckily the brother had a VHF radio at the time. There wasn’t many around.

1 Like

The great 208

Radio Caroline started out with a repurposed ship from Greenore port in Louth.

O’Rahilly was a music manager. Luxembourg wouldn’t play his bands’ music as they had a sponsorship deal with EMI so he set up a station in response

1 Like

Paul Browne had one.