Unpopular opinions or views you hold

Tipperary South Riding used to be part of the administrative region of the South East.

2 Likes

There’s a great gokarting circuit not far from Edgeworthstown that’s worth a visit

Declan Nerney.

Francis Edgeworth, creator of the Edgeworth box is the most notable Longfordian.

He never became Lord Edgeworth.

1 Like

Kitty Kiernan, Annie Lovett, Larry Cunningham.

Liam Mulvihill, Seán MacEoin (the blacksmith from Ballinalee).

A true trail blazer for black British footballers.

Country music was the backdrop to another name game around that same time, when the player they called the Black Flash, Laurie Cunningham, was setting the old English First Division alight.

Back in 1977, he left his first club Leyton Orient for the city lights of West Bromwich Albion, then managed by one half of Ireland’s latest dancing sensations, Johnny Giles.

This was long before Johnny sold his soul for thirty pieces of chocolate; back then he was gainfully deployed trying to put together the footballing equivalent of the Ford plant in Daghenham by surrounding himself with a collection of old Irish pros at the club.

Galway’s old manager Paddy Mulligan was among them as were Mick Martin and the man who still holds the record for Irish international away trips, Ray Treacy – most of the trips, it has to be said, were undertaken as a travel agent.

But Ray was never slow with a word in any company and when Gilesy introduced their new superstar left winger to the rest of the players, Ray told him he was a great admirer of his talent.

“I have all your albums at home,” he told the bemused Black Flash, before revealing that his favourite recording of all had to be the anthemic ballad, Lovely Leitrim.

Ray was talking of Larry Cunningham, of course, the man from North Longford whose gravelly tones will also always be associated with those Forty Shades of Green.

But for the rest of his WBA career, Laurie was known as Lovely Leitrim by a squad where only the Irish lads had a clue what the joke was.

It’s a quiet day.

3 Likes

Thats even more unbelievable

I love camping, I think I prefer camping to staying in hotels, a convenient cooked breakfast would be the only plus for a hotel

The only plus?

A proper bed
A proper shower
A proper toilet
The setup involved on arrival
The routine involved in departure
The cleaning
The roaring and hollering that’s almost expected of you both as you cavort with the missus in the hotel leaba

I’m all for camping but there’s plenty in the plus column for Team Hotel.

Well obviously the set up is a bit of a pain, but that’s only an hour or so and it’s satisfying.
Campsites have showers and toilets.
Sleeping in a tent or awning is beautiful sleep.
For anything three nights or more give me a tent or caravan anytime, holiday houses ahead of hotels as well.
In saying all that I do have 4 kids so hotels are interconnected rooms all the way, not much comfort or relaxation in that.

I like to go to concerts and not record the whole thing for social media

Very popular opinion here

Theres a difference in opinion here and real life. On many topics. Glad i didnt pay for green day tickets last night.

The haka is a cod, marketing cod and should be stop.

7 Likes

Margaret Thatcher was an utterly fascinating character and not the utter bitch that she is portrayed to be.

You are 50% correct in my opinion.

11 Likes