Unpopular opinions or views you hold

Do you consider it money well spent funding the upkeep of the Acropolis? No one uses it, perhaps it should be let fall down. What about Petra and Machu Pichu? No oneā€™s living on the Skelligs, perhaps we should just let the beehive huts fall down?

Comparing physical historic structures with a dead language. Apples and oranges pal.

Itā€™s not a dead language and those building are from dead cultures by your reckoning and would have little use to us in modern culture

For me itā€™s all cultural and therefore important. All the one bunch of grapes.

Only a philistine would see it any other way

If you are as I picked up here, a Nottingham lad the likelihood is you would have the same attitude to Gaelic and Welsh if you paid your taxes in England.

Britain fund the Irish language in the North

1 Like

5% of irish people speak the language daily and if you include the amount of people doing it 5 days a week in school youā€™re quickly in to big numbers

The government gave the GAA 30 million last year.

The GAA made 30 mil in commercials and 12 in gate receipts. Why do they need 30?

Take money from the GAA and promote the language more

Weā€™ve got to think of something in the schools, maybe even further bonus points in the Leaving like for Maths for people doing honours.

I know lads doing the whole show through Irish are getting bonus already.

Not sure about the likes of Bua na Cainte in primary. Lot of lads seem to be zoning out. Trying to get them walking around the class chatting to each other using the different tenses, verbs, conversational Irish, but probably seeing better results on paper when we drill it more.

A lot of the EAL kids feel theyve enough to be getting on with.

We need to think of a better way of going about it. 5th & 6th find the textbooks childish, but ya canā€™t be doing unlimited photocopying of your own stuff. Could take the writing side out of it nearly completely but ya need a fair bit in the copies in case of an inspection.

1 Like

Iā€™m born and bred in West Limerick. I support a Nottingham based team.

Curry my yoghurt

Its unusual in that we have to learn our national language in school and its taught like French and Spanish. Or like English is taught in non English speaking places.

You can do what you like in schools, but unless people are speaking it daily it just wonā€™t catch on.

What really needs to happen is it needs to be spoken at home when kids are in their formative years. Both langauges could be spoken and the kid will pick up both naturally.

I have a Polish mate and his kids speak English and Polish natively. Same with a french bloke i know, native French and English. Those kids are under 10.

4 Likes

Ahh ok. My bad. Thanks for the correction.

1 Like

Capel Street is in the top 20 streets in the world

Ireland is just as fuckedā€¦ Families availing of food banks are rocketing. 700 additional families added in Cork for the July/August period.

1 Like

I think this French lad put it perfectlyā€¦ā€¦.

1 Like

thereā€™s charitable people doing soup runs for fuck sake, but itā€™s grand

Iā€™d know North Inner City Dublin like the back of my hand, a legacy of living close to the City Centre all my young life in Dublin, dating girls from the area, working there and being involved with a GAA club where a lot of the lads were North Inner City lads. As a consequence Iā€™d have a very good sense of where to go, when to go there and where not to go. Thereā€™s a liveliness and grittiness about the North Inner City thatā€™s not replicated anywhere else in the country and to my mind people that give the whole area the swerve because of a fear of what might happen to them if they set foot in the place are missing out.

10 Likes