Unpopular opinions or views you hold

I’ve heard the great Tim Vickery tell several times of how it’s a tradition in Brazilian football that when a game is going against a home team in terms of momentum on the pitch, that a dog suddenly appears out of nowhere and gets the game stopped for a couple of minutes. Sort of like the Brazilian equivalent of the tactical injury in GAA.

One of the earliest recorded instances of a dog holding up play must have been at the 1976 All-Ireland hurling semi-final replay between Wexford and Galway at Pairc Ui Chaoimh, something I know from TG4 showing this game sometime circa 20-25 years ago.

One of my main memories of the horrible night Lineker scored in Poznan to knock Ireland out of Euro '92 was there seemed to be a very loud dog inside the BBC commentary box. Commentary was provided by John Motson and a barking Polish dog.

But you’d have to seriously hand it to that International Rules dog. Sensational work rate, tenacity and turning and sprinting speed. Willingness to get on the ball. Moral courage, honesty of effort. A great example to any children watching out there, as they say. Made the Tyrone lads swarming all over Kerry in '03 look lazy.

8 Likes

Valid point but you ought to consider the family of @iron_mike here.
They’re dependent on his ability to shift 175 tonnes of Ferrero Rochers during this ‘busy’ period as he refers to it himself.

Edit….He’s on the case already…

11 Likes

:smile::smile:

Definitely my favourite sports compilation video on YouTube

11 Likes

That was the same dog in Aussie Rules game and Tyrone Dublin match :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hes been on the hallowed ground of croke park more times than 99% of the irish population

1 Like

Wayne Barnes is an excellent rugby referee and a great communicator

4 Likes

He was a total cunt. He transformed into the best referee in world rugby, but he’s been backsliding recently quite quickly.

Dave Chapelle is rarely far from the nub of things.

12 Likes

This is magnificent. Give it your time, you won’t be sorry.

The obsession a large number of adults in Ireland have with the Late Late Toy Show and their desire to “recreate” their own childhood Christmas for their children rather than let them establish their own tradition is extremely narcissistic behaviour.

36 Likes

Very odd behaviour tbf

1 Like

That’s one of the greatest things i have ever seen

A lot to be said about the noble JRT

The amount of merchandise and all that just for one show is obscene.

What traditions would santa age kids create of their own accord? Watch youtubers sorting their match atrax cards or play fifa in my experience

3 Likes

My wife bought the children toy show pyjamas earlier.

2 Likes

There’s a tap in there but I’ll pass it up.

14 Likes

there was no tradition around the toy show when I was a kid. We stayed up and watched it, that was it. There was no snacks or no big hoopla… we just watched the show.

10 Likes