Unpopular opinions or views you hold

MICA. The source of a lot of problems in this country.

20 Likes

:clap:

Are you the lad who does be roaring on Thomas Street?

With the hot women?
No, thatā€™s not meā€¦

The Bee Gees were a dangerous bunch of bastards. Lethal, they were.

Drivel music

Brilliant- just spotted this

Boxing fraternity some of the soundest people youā€™ll get. Horse racing fraternity are a shower of cunts.

5 Likes

Iā€™d say thatā€™s not only a popular opinion but factual also

3 Likes

Jesus I swear, ignorant bunch of dimwits. (like everything, probably not all, but fucking hell, most!).

Bryan Ferryā€™s contribution to early Roxy Music was vastly in excess of those of Brian Eno. He was right to ditch him.

1 Like

I love Heineken so I do

1 Like

Ditto. Tis a stab in the chest.

1 Like
1 Like

For a period of around three years, the Boomtown Rats were utterly brilliant and wrote some of the best Irish music ever.
Then Bob turned into a cmplete cunt.

3 Likes

Christmas is shit, an over hyped pain in the anus and should be reschedued to once every 4 years like the World Cup and celebrated onlly in Qatar.

4 Likes

Greatest time of the year

Sydney is not an AFL town. I attended one Swans game at the SCG and found it pretty boring, granted it was not a close contest. Thereā€™s a vibe there which is sort of similar to Leinster rugby matches at Lansdowne Road in the ladyboys era of 2003-2005, actually itā€™s even more passionless than that. I watched the Sydney v Collingwood preliminary final this year and the Collingwood supporters outshouted the hell out of the home support. The real heartbeat of sport in Sydney is in rugby league venues like Brookvale Oval and Leichardt Oval. These are proper hard nosed old school venues which are a must visit for anybody who ever gets a chance.

The AFLā€™s mistake was they phased out all the old school Melbourne shithole venues which were magnificent and were proper home venues for each team, since around 2000 theyā€™ve played all games in the city in only two venues. the MCG and the Docklands Stadium. So no Melbourne team has a proper home venue any more.

The scoring system and the size of the pitch in Aussie Rules tends to mitigate against excitement, comebacks are hard to mount, itā€™s not like GAA where a team can be eight or nine points down and knock in a couple of quick goals and a one sided game suddenly turns into a nailbiter.

But if you get a really close game it can be amazing. A lot of the games in the finals series this year were like that (not the Grand Final which was shit). I defy anybody to watch the final quarter of the Essendon v Carlton preliminary final of 1999 and tell me it isnā€™t one of the most titanic and epic sporting contests youā€™ll ever see.

I got drawn into watching Aussie Rules by a few things - I was at all three games of the 1987 Compromise Rules series (thatā€™s what it was called then) and the Aussies had Jim Stynes and Sean Wight playing for them and I knew the names of the rest of the players from that. My oulā€™ fella knew Jimā€™s father Barney Stynes from work. Channel 4 had a really good highlights package in the late 80s which was ahead of its time and gave you a real flavour of the culture around the game and drew you in. The USP of the game was the real old Melbourne clubs and the passion that was there for them, the atmospheres youā€™d see at games, the authenticity of it and the tradition of it. And the fights. And the commentators were class. Dennis Commetti and Bruce McAvaney and Sandy Roberts and Ian Robertson. Commentators can really draw you into a sport if they have gravitas. Like, the contributions of Michael Oā€™Hehir and Michael Oā€™Muircheartaigh to the GAA canā€™t be overstated. Their voices were the rhythm of Irish life for 72 years.

17 Likes

It would certainly cut down on the mountains of waste generated every year. Iā€™d be all for its removal myself.

It starts in August now shur. By the time Christmas eve comes, even the kids are bored. Back to the old days where the ads didnā€™t even start until the end of November

3 Likes