Unpopular opinions or views you hold

They weren’t even the best team in Munster those years.

1 Like

Its the unpopular opinions thread, mate.

Irony is lost on you.

1 Like

2006:

1. Italy
  2. Argentina
  3. Germany

France played one unreal game, one Zidane game and then were only ok

Argentina would have won the 1994 World Cup had Diego not been busted.

1 Like

How so, mate?

Clare beat them fairly convincingly in the 1995 Munster final didn’t they? Before my time but would that Limerick team have been strong defensively (the last 5 minutes against Offaly in 94’ aside) but just lacking an extra marquee forward alongside Kirby?

Clare were far and away the best team in the country in 1998 from my reading of it. Definitely an All-Ireland that got away for them.

They were in 96, at least early in the year. Probably the best a Limerick team has played in my lifetime aside from the current crop

2 Likes

Clare were mugged off in 98

2 Likes

France ripped apart a very good Spain team, were always in control against a very talented but disjointed Brazil team, and in complete control at all stages against a good Portuguese team.

Zidane cost his team the final mentally.

Argentina should have beaten Germany and would have beaten Italy.

No one was beating Italy IMO. Too many bosses on that team.

1 Like

That team from 94-97 were unlucky.

It makes the total domination now all the sweeter though.

Your Clares and your Tipps can only dream of winning 3 All Irelands in a row.

2 Likes

It was a crime losing the 96 final to that Wexford team.

12 Likes

I was only 8 at the time and even I saw it

4 Likes

That hurt a lot more. It was far harder to take.

Australia possibly if Lucas Neill hadn’t stuck his leg out like a drunk Aussie oaf doing an impression of a dog cocking its leg.

'94 and '98 were better Italian teams.

1 Like

They had an answer for everything.

(I’m hugely biased here as they are one of my favourite teams of all time and their semi vs Germany is my favourite match of all time)

I got over 94 that was a swashbuckling Biffo outfit 96 I’m still not over, we imploded against the worst team in my living memory to win an All Ireland.

2 Likes

It was amazing how France just clicked in that tournament. I remember being underwhelmed with them in the opening two drawn group games against Switzerland and South Korea before they eventually beat Togo and advanced. Having watched them completely flop at World Cup 2002 and collapse against Greece in 2004 I was actually urging them on to succeed.

Those were superb Spain and Brazil teams on paper that they beat.