Unpopular opinions or views you hold

The only problem with the 2014-2022 squad is they didn’t have a manager good enough. Roberto Martinez? Fuck off, he wasn’t good enough at Everton ffs.

1 Like

Mark Wilmots was there for World Cup 2014 and Euro 2016. He was even worse then Martinez who did finish 5th with Everton once and won an FA Cup with Wigan.

They lost the 1980 European Final because they had to take the bould Wilfrid off after 75 minutes.

1 Like

Whether you believe the 2020 or the 1986 Belgian team is better, they punch way above their weight at international level.

There’s certain managers who can do it at international level, I’m probably speaking in hindsight mostly, but I surely wouldn’t have Martinez over that kind of golden generation.

All out in the open in your dossier

1 Like

Population of well under 12 million. I suppose Croatia have an even smaller population than ourselves though and have been regular enough competitors in the latter stages of tournaments since their formation.

1 Like

That’s right, West Germany got a very late winner to take it 2-1. If I remember Wilfrid was regularly taken off with 15/20 mins to go having maxed out. He was only a little fellow too.

They were a handy side and topped a group that included Italy, Spain and England in that tournament. Topped their group in WC in Spain too but Boniek tore them apart after that in second stage. They were overachievers - well coached and organised but Pelé did them no favours anointing them as future winners.

What are you basing that on? They’ve a proper professional league and good structures. And of course as Aertel said, they’ve a big enough population.

Horst Hrubesch scored the winner right at the death. It was the Euros that were held in Italy. England were there and their fans started acting the tramp in one of the stadia and the Italian police sent them home with their teeth in a mug.

4 Likes

Did someone say Belgium 86?

6 Likes

The balance after scoring the second goal and low centre of gravity really was incredible.

2 Likes

Just like they did in the age of Imperialism

Belgium were knocked out of euro 2020 and the World Cup in 2018 by the eventual winners. I forget who beat them in 2016. The 2014 World Cup was probably the disaster.

They have twice our population. They have qualified for 14 World Cups and finished third twice. They have also been to a European Cup final. They have players at the top clubs all over Europe. They are sometimes ranked as number one in the world. I’d say they are punching above their weight.

4 Likes

Portugal with a population of 10 million also punch above their weight.

2 Likes

That’s hardly punching above their weight though. Ya said it yourself, they have the structures to succeed?

That would give you a horn

The fact that they have good structures in place might be one of the reasons they punch above their weight.

the colonies help.

2 Likes