Urban Football Myths

Myth: Dennis Wise is not a cunt
Truth: He is a cunt

Myth: Darren O’Dea is a world class Centre Back
Truth: He can barely make the first team squad

Myth: Engerland will win the world cup thanks to Lord Theo
Truth: they’re a crowd of thugs who’ll be lucky to qualify

cunts

To me, one is no different to the other. Both foreign teams playing in a foreign league, what does it matter which comes first?

How are St Pat’s a foreign team in a foreign league?

Oops, I read that as SPL, not SPA, my mistake, its early.

I would agree Irish Soccer should of course be before English soccer.

Sometimes that cunt of a Paul Collins announces English soccer before GAA news in Today FM, I’ve a mind to go in a puck the cunt some morning.

[quote=“therock67”]Some fair points within that ramble Lawrence.

I think the coverage given to the EPL en masse is widely disproportionate to the interest people have in it. I post about it quite a bit because I’m exposed to it but when push comes to shove I rarely bother to watch it. That’s not a criticism of the product but I prioritise my sport and I’d watch SPL, GAA (except women’s), Bundesliga, NRL, European club rugby ahead of it.

The Newcastle example that you pointed out from the Irish Times is just a shocking editorial decision. Part of it is down to the fac that EPL coverage is cheaper because they just buy it in from the Guardian, they don’t have to write it. But their space allocation on front pages and photos and stuff like that is poor and is far too focussed on the EPL at the expense of other soccer.[/quote]

Just out of interest Rock, why would you watch the Bundesliga ahead of the EPL? We have a pair of German lads here at work and they say its cock compared to the EPL.

Could it be that they announced the Liverpool score ahead of the Pat’s one last night because they were prioritising the game that was in progress and the Pat’s game was already finished? But I take the general point and I’ve been known to rip the piss out of lads like Michael McMullen on Today FM leading the station’s sport news on a random August Saturday lunchtime with a mention for Premiership Live coming later from the Reebok Stadium where Chelsea are the visitors or some random shit like that despite the fact there might be an All-Ireland football or hurling semi-final replay on that day too.

I gave RTE plenty of stick over the last few years for their Champions League coverage and how it was always covered from an English perspective. It was characterised by a raft of analysis (and loads of repetition) about the English teams and even when they showed the goals from the other games it was nearly always followed up with the question, ‘Anything there to worry the 4 English teams?’ The other sides were barely analysed at all and the core phrase was ‘To be honest, I don’t know much about them Bill.’ And then they’d go back and talk about the English teams again for a while. I know RTE have rights to EPL highlights but it didn’t seem to register that it was a European wide competition and their pundits should be providing analysis of teams outside England.

In fairness, there’s been a bit of an improvement since the middle of last season after my intense lobbying to Stephen Alkin! Last night between 7pm and 7.45pm they put up all the team lists for the other competing teams, as well as sticking up the probable teams for the likes of Bayern and Real Madrid who are playing tonight and had a bit of discussion around most of the sides.

[quote=“Bandage”]Could it be that they announced the Liverpool score ahead of the Pat’s one last night because they were prioritising the game that was in progress and the Pat’s game was already finished? But I take the general point and I’ve been known to rip the piss out of lads like Michael McMullen on Today FM leading the station’s sport news on a random August Saturday lunchtime with a mention for Premiership Live coming later from the Reebok Stadium where Chelsea are the visitors or some random shit like that despite the fact there might be an All-Ireland football or hurling semi-final replay on that day too.

I gave RTE plenty of stick over the last few years for their Champions League coverage and how it was always covered from an English perspective. It was characterised by a raft of analysis (and loads of repetition) about the English teams and even when they showed the goals from the other games it was nearly always followed up with the question, ‘Anything there to worry the 4 English teams?’ The other sides were barely analysed at all and the core phrase was ‘To be honest, I don’t know much about them Bill.’ And then they’d go back and talk about the English teams again for a while. I know RTE have rights to EPL highlights but it didn’t seem to register that it was a European wide competition and their pundits should be providing analysis of teams outside England.

In fairness, there’s been a bit of an improvement since the middle of last season after my intense lobbying to Stephen Alkin! Last night between 7pm and 7.45pm they put up all the team lists for the other competing teams, as well as sticking up the probable teams for the likes of Bayern and Real Madrid who are playing tonight and had a bit of discussion around most of the sides.[/quote]

why prioritise a random game ahead of all other european games?

Not following you here. What random game?

Plenty of reasons Jonathon:

1. Lived in Germany for a year - I’ve never lived in England
  2. Atmosphere is the best in Europe IMO
  3. Pace of play is very good
  4. Good technical players, particularly from Germany itself, South America and Eastern Europe
  5. Standard is very high - not as good as the EPL at the moment but that’s just the effect of tv rights which are hugely protected in Germany. Until then Bayern Munich were every bit as competitive as Manchester United for example and beyond that you had Leverkusen and Dortmund in Champions League finals in the recent past.
  6. Far more sustainable league with competition. The Bayern effect can be frustrating but it’s based more around a Manchester United like structure - i.e. large fanbase = lots of money. And they didn’t sell out to yanks. Other clubs are on an even footing and you don’t have all these billionaires coming in and buying up clubs to make them competitive with the possible exception of Hoffenheim but that’s a local project. Compare that to Man City, Chelsea, Portsmouth, West Ham, Liverpool, QPR etc. There’s still heritage in the Bundesliga and that counts for something if you’re a fan.
  7. Met lots of German football fans over the years (Stuttgart, St Pauli, Dortmund, Leverkusen) and thought they were sound
  8. Read Kicker magazine which is a superb read

Obviously you will get Germans who like or even prefer the EPL but it’s easier to admire it from a distance where you don’t have the same exposure to the ridiculous hype and all the cultural stuff that goes with it.

[quote=“therock67”]Plenty of reasons Jonathon:

1. Lived in Germany for a year - I’ve never lived in England
  2. Atmosphere is the best in Europe IMO
  3. Pace of play is very good
  4. Good technical players, particularly from Germany itself, South America and Eastern Europe
  5. Standard is very high - not as good as the EPL at the moment but that’s just the effect of tv rights which are hugely protected in Germany. Until then Bayern Munich were every bit as competitive as Manchester United for example and beyond that you had Leverkusen and Dortmund in Champions League finals in the recent past.
  6. Far more sustainable league with competition. The Bayern effect can be frustrating but it’s based more around a Manchester United like structure - i.e. large fanbase = lots of money. And they didn’t sell out to yanks. Other clubs are on an even footing and you don’t have all these billionaires coming in and buying up clubs to make them competitive with the possible exception of Hoffenheim but that’s a local project. Compare that to Man City, Chelsea, Portsmouth, West Ham, Liverpool, QPR etc. There’s still heritage in the Bundesliga and that counts for something if you’re a fan.
  7. Met lots of German football fans over the years (Stuttgart, St Pauli, Dortmund, Leverkusen) and thought they were sound
  8. Read Kicker magazine which is a superb read

Obviously you will get Germans who like or even prefer the EPL but it’s easier to admire it from a distance where you don’t have the same exposure to the ridiculous hype and all the cultural stuff that goes with it.[/quote]

Fair enough. To be honest, Id say the German boys are like myself and couldnt give two fiddlers fucks whether every soccer team is owned by a billionaire so long as its entertaining.

They just said its a lot more boring than the EPL, I didnt think that was possible, but they laughed at my suggestion that 85% of the games are shite. Each to their own I suppose.

the LFC game was a random european game- no more no less than all the other games in europe that night - the SPAs game was relevant to Irish sport

Yes but theres far more Liverpool fans in Ireland than St. Pats fans. No one with any sense follows that Irish soccer shite.

[quote=“sid waddell”]Schalke 04 would be up there for proper support I’d say as would Dortmund - some of the atmospheres at German grounds looks unreal - lke English football used to be before Sky sanitised it.

[/quote]

saw highlights of last weekend’s Ruhr derby between Borussia and Schalke on Setanta …atmosphere looked amazing and cracking match too.

Rock, you ever been to one of these games?

there are far more non hurling fans in dublin than hurling fans so why do we here hurling scores?

[quote=“Bandage”]Is that even a myth any more? I’d say you’d struggle to see a Celtic game on TV in a pub around the country if it clashed with an EPL or English Championship game. For example, I watched Celtic at Motherwell last year in a Paddy Power’s shop in Wexford town after the only pub I know in Wexico town who had Setanta Sports 1 (and hence access to SPL games) already had the build-up to some Charlton game Sky were televising on and couldn’t/wouldn’t turn the Celtic game on. Even if you look at forums that seem to garner a broad range of people from around the country, like boards.ie or somewhere, there’s pages and pages of debate on stuff like the situation at Newcastle and other random EPL news and little debate about Celtic or other teams and leagues outside the EPL.

[/quote]

It’s worse than that Bandage. A girl I work with was down at a wedding in Cork on the day of the Dublin vs Tyrone quarter final. She said that when they asked the barman in the hotel to stick the GAA on, they wouldn’t because Middlesborough and Spurs was on Setanta.

They had to leave the hotel where the reception was on and find a pub in the town to see the Dubs match

[quote=“thedancingbaby”]It’s worse than that Bandage. A girl I work with was down at a wedding in Cork on the day of the Dublin vs Tyrone quarter final. She said that when they asked the barman in the hotel to stick the GAA on, they wouldn’t because Middlesborough and Spurs was on Setanta.

They had to leave the hotel where the reception was on and find a pub in the town to see the Dubs match[/quote]

really ? that ties into the ESRI report

Because theres hundreds of thousands of hurling fans all around the country who want to know the scores. Id say theres more hurling fans in any decent hurling county than there is League of Ireland fans in the whole country.

[quote=“Chicken George”]Myth: Chelsea were 2nd in the league the year Roman bought them
Fact: They were 4th (behind Newcastle)

[/quote]

Egg on face for Messiloney

fair enough - but why do Dublin stations give out stick hurling scores when its not popular here

[quote=“Bandage”]Could it be that they announced the Liverpool score ahead of the Pat’s one last night because they were prioritising the game that was in progress and the Pat’s game was already finished? But I take the general point and I’ve been known to rip the piss out of lads like Michael McMullen on Today FM leading the station’s sport news on a random August Saturday lunchtime with a mention for Premiership Live coming later from the Reebok Stadium where Chelsea are the visitors or some random shit like that despite the fact there might be an All-Ireland football or hurling semi-final replay on that day too.

In fairness, there’s been a bit of an improvement since the middle of last season after my intense lobbying to Stephen Alkin! Last night between 7pm and 7.45pm they put up all the team lists for the other competing teams, as well as sticking up the probable teams for the likes of Bayern and Real Madrid who are playing tonight and had a bit of discussion around most of the sides.

[/quote]

Sure sometimes rogbee is the headline on the sports bulletins…like anybody gives a shit