US Politics - A Society in Meltdown

The statistics on wrongful convictions of black people as opposed to other races are pretty shocking.

Pin all outstanding cases on the black guy with no prospects or no one who cares.

As I said previously the USA was founded by racists in the guise of democrats and I don’t think that has been shaken off in terms of civil society.

2 Likes

Yep nothing rotten about the police in the US.

NYT

• May 30, 2020

In her typical appearances on Fox News, Jeanine Pirro, a former Republican district attorney, reserves her highest dudgeon for castigating liberals and lamenting the demise of law and order.

But on Friday’s “Fox & Friends,” Ms. Pirro’s voice nearly broke as she described the agonizing final moments of George Floyd, the black man who died after a Minneapolis police officer ignored his pleas and pinned him to the ground during a routine stop.

“George Floyd was begging, saying he couldn’t breathe, saying please, please,” Ms. Pirro told viewers. “This man who put his knee on the neck of George Floyd does not deserve to be free in this country.”

Even right-wing stars like Rush Limbaugh hedged their assessments early on, as the officer’s lethal force drew more condemnation in some corners of the right than the ensuing riots and the burning of a police precinct. “I can’t find a way to justify it,’’ Mr. Limbaugh said of the officer’s actions.

The chilling circumstances of Mr. Floyd’s death — particularly the graphic, indisputable video of his arrest — have, at least for now, posed a political quandary among some conservative politicians, media stars and President Trump, whose usual instinct is to focus on blaming liberals for promoting lawlessness.

The ongoing protests in Minneapolis and around the country may still alter conservative views. On Fox News on Friday night, Tucker Carlson began his show with a graphic calling the Minnesota protesters “Criminal Mobs,” and wondered aloud why Republicans were not reacting more intensely against the violence in Minneapolis. Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham condemned the demonstrators for, in Mr. Hannity’s words, “exploiting” Mr. Floyd’s death.

In Minneapolis on Friday, State Patrol police officers blocked a road as protesters demanded justice for George Floyd. Credit…Kerem Yucel/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

The law enforcement community is one of Mr. Trump’s most loyal constituencies, and he and his allies are in uncharted territory as they weigh expressions of solidarity with the nation’s police forces against grappling with the horror of Mr. Floyd’s death.

Initially, Mr. Trump issued a brutal law-and-order message early Friday morning, tweeting, “When the looting starts, the shooting starts.” His implication that protesters should be shot by law enforcement drew enormous blowback from Democratic leaders and other critics; some 14 hours later, he said his tweet had been misinterpreted, and later talked about the “good people” who were demonstrating in Mr. Floyd’s honor.

“They were protesting for the right reasons,” Mr. Trump told reporters at the White House on Friday evening, in relatively subdued remarks for a president best-known for bluster and vitriol. “They were protesting in honor of a man, George Floyd, where something happened that shouldn’t have happened.”

Live Updates: George Floyd Protests

Updated 18m ago

1 Like

Over 90 per cent of federal and state criminal convictions are a result of plea bargains and not trials. The mandatory sentencing makes it too risky to run a trial when odds are stacked against you.

About 1000 people are shot dead by police in America each year. On an absolute basis most of them are white but per capita black people are more likely to be shot.

The famine killed way more Irish People than the Black and Tans. Does this excuse the Black and Tans? I know Charlie Flanagan thinks it does.

2 Likes

I think the point is that it is a gross racial injustice. The statistics from parts of Chicago are harrowing and should be protested.

The reason they aren’t is because of who runs the city.

Christ.

Maybe the reasons black lads are shooting each in other in Chicago and the reason black people are killed by police more often could be the same, systematic racial discrimination

1 Like

A few people here don’t seem to get that a disproportionate amount of people from a particular community being killed by the instruments of the State whose job is to protect them is a special kind of wrong, wherever it happens in the world.

13 Likes

Sweet response.

I saw no one say it wasn’t wrong

Well precisely, this isn’t a point defending the authorities at all.

The stats on growing up in certain neighbourhoods are just dreadful.

Comparing it to civilians killing each other was a strange point to make alright.

The kind of point someone who doesn’t want to recognise and address the problem would make. And why would they not want to recognise and address it? Because they are ok with the status quo. Why are they ok with the status quo? Because it suits them. Does that make them racist? Yes.

1 Like

They are instruments of their local States and Cities, not the federal government.

It is wrong but the point @anon7035031 is actually making is there is far worse institutionalised racism and issues for Black Americans to face.

I’ve lived in Chicago, the only times the near total white population on the Northside cared about crime in the south was when some of that violence was brought up to local beaches during the summer.

1 Like

What the fuck kind of an attempted point is that meant to be?

And often for their own selfish needs such a career progression etc,

@anon7035031 likes to point at things elsewhere whenever the police murder unarmed black people. He is a textbook example of what is wrong with society in the US, but he is also a bit odd in the head.

It’s important to differentiate. There are some police forces that are far worse and some that are very decent.

If you want to make actual changes, that has to happen at that level. See below for an example

I know you lads don’t really get the US so important to educate sometimes.

The first point is bizarre. The second point is plain wrong. Being at increased risk of being killed by the State is as bad as it gets.

The third point so what. I lived in the Bronx. Big deal.

2 Likes