US Politics II To Trump or not to Trump

If you say so.

So it wasn’t RBG refusing to step down when Obama was in office?

A handmaids tale

Republican platform 2022: “No to abortions, No to condoms, Yes to Nazis!”

Republican Robert Regan lost his bid for a seat in the Michigan State House this week when he was unexpectedly beaten by Democrat Carol Glanville.

Regan is quite the “character”.

The reason he lost was he didn’t veil his hate filled racism and misogyny behind plausibly deniable language.

But in terms of what today’s Republican party really stands for, he is as representative as you can get.

Regan also defended comments about rape he made during a recorded conversation in which he expressed support for decertifying Michigan’s 2020 election results. In the original video, he said, “I tell my daughters, well, if rape is inevitable, you should just lie back and enjoy it.”

Grim

Liz Cheney is a Communist Democrat snowflake from a family of Communist Democrat snowflakes.

De Santis is one extremely dangerous bastard. Without doubt the “competent” fascist that has been widely warned about.

Scary there are lads on here who worship him.

# DeSantis signs bill requiring Florida students, professors to register political views with state

## Universities may lose funding if staff and students’ beliefs do not satisfy Florida’s GOP-run legislature

Right wing headcases trying to gain control of education through intimidation and terrorism? Book bannings? The public branding of people who teach sex education as “groomers”?

Yeah, I’d definitely call that fascism.

And these are tactics that seem to be everywhere in America now.

Nancy Vera was awakened suddenly at midnight on July 12 by the sound of a single gunshot, the bullet ricocheting off her home. She looked at a security camera just in time to see a truck speed away.

Vera was shocked but not surprised. The president of the Corpus Christi, Texas, branch of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT), she had recently handed out books with LGBTQ characters at a pride event for local students, alongside a drag queen.

Vera thought the event was a fun opportunity to connect with local parents and distribute books to kids. But conservatives, including her local sheriff, called the event an example of the “grooming and indoctrination of young people in our country.” “Grooming” is a slur commonly used by devotees of the conspiracy theory QAnon, which claims that powerful people and institutions are ensnaring children in sex trafficking rings.

“This type of rhetoric is going to get people killed,” she says.

Corpus Christi, where Vera lives, has become a flashpoint for a growing push among Christian and conservative groups across the US to get certain books and topics they deem inappropriate for children removed from school libraries and curriculums. Now the fight is turning increasingly ugly, with people targeting individual teachers’ private social media accounts for scrutiny and even harassment.

On July 9, the conservative group County Citizens Defending Freedom (CCDF) held a public seminar in Corpus Christi about monitoring school curriculums and “researching social media of teachers, school board members, staff of school districts and elected officials,” effectively teaching people how to stalk and harass educators online.

One clear pattern is emerging: educators who support teaching sex education and discussing LGBTQ issues are labeled “groomers.”

Gloria Gonzales Dholakia, a school board member in Leander, Texas, says she was called a groomer at a school board meeting that was broadcast online, leading to a slew of hateful comments. A man who attended the meeting made several highly personal remarks, including suggesting that Gonzales Dholakia’s husband, who was sitting just a few feet away in the room, must be abusive. “My kids were watching this online at home. I was so angry and was ready to quit,” she says.

Gonzales Dholakia did not quit, but the need to grapple with slurs and online harassment is yet another burden for teachers exhausted by the pandemic and other issues, including mass shootings at schools. Thousands of teachers have either retired or quit the profession in the last two years.

PEN America has created a step-by-step guide to prepare and help people respond to online harassment. But sometimes it’s too little, too late, Vilk says: “So many of these educators are quitting jobs, and those quitting jobs are disproportionately women and people of color — the exact people we don’t want to quit because that means our libraries and schools are less diverse and don’t reflect the full range of American experience. It’s really alarming.”

Educators like Vera refuse to stand back. She recently joined colleagues at a counterprotest to voice their concerns about their safety, and she’s spending the next few weeks before schools reopen beefing up protection measures for her colleagues. The Corpus Christi police department is investigating the shooting, and the AFT has added a security detail for her. She’s working to install security cameras at schools and is advising new teachers on how to deal with online harassment.

“I’m not going to stop what I’m doing,” she says.

CNN should be banned

3 Likes

Biden has covid

Damn Putin

The Donalds latest missive to supporters. Not a parody

6 Likes

Truly one of the greatest posters of all time

1 Like

Be great to see him back in

5 Likes
1 Like

Yesterday is a hard word to say