US Presidential Election 2016: Sidney's Victory Lap

Oh ok my mistake. Did you watch that clip?

It’s a reasonable approximation, the number of electoral votes a state has (with two exceptions) is based on the number of representatives and senators it has. California has 55 members of congress, so 55 votes. The main problem with a popular vote is that smaller and rural states effectively have no say, although in the electoral college system, it can be argued they have too much say.

A huge percentage of people in DC work in government, they have no desire for change, turkeys and Christmas, and all that.

A huge % of the people who work in DC live in Virginia

Agree on the UK, Labour get a disproportionate number of seats. But that will be changing soon.

One thing you could do is to keep the electoral college itself but divide it proportionally according to the national popular vote. That way you can keep out a David Duke type.

But the USA has just voted for arguably the closest thing to tyranny it has ever voted for, certainly in the modern age via the state voting system.

But the potential tyrannist lost the popular vote.

The state voting/electoral college has just been proven to make it easier for David Duke types to be elected. It completely fails to do what you say its designed to prevent. They will not vote against Trump.

In a country with an executive president, there is no foolproof method of keeping a demagogue out of office. On that basis one could argue to do away with democracy altogether. On the basis that democracy shouldn’t be done away with, it’s best to implement it as fairly as possible.

I think you were on here before criticising the Democrats’ superdelegate system which was designed to stop a candidate like George McGovern getting the nomination again. That doesn’t tally with what you claim to believe about the electoral college.

No he didn’t, you’re just parroting what you read on vox.
Trump’s rhetoric in the early stages of the Republican primaries was clumsy and in some cases misinterpreted. That is what you would expect from someone who has not been a politician i.e. a trained liar.

The most common charge against Trump (and his supporters) is that he is a racist. A racist is someone who believes that one race is superior to another. I don’t have time to explain why Trump is not a racist, but this article from a liberal publication should help you see things more clearly.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-deutsch/no-donald-trump-isnt-a-ra_b_10417888.html

The Democrats had the wrong candidate. Simple as that. People just don’t like her.

4 Likes

I’m quite capable of my own thoughts, pal.

If Trump had not said the horrible demagogic things he’s said, there wouldn’t be a problem.

If a Muslim preacher said all Christians should be stopped from entering the US and singled out Irish illegal immigrants and chanted “send 'em back!” whose fault would it be for there being a public image of him as a crazy racist bigot? The media’s? No, of course not. It would be his own fault.

If somebody uses incitement to hatred and others commit hate crimes as a result, is the person using the hate speech innocent? Should they be able to say “but I didn’t commit the hate crime itself?” No. of course not.

You’re using your own highly technical definition of racism here as a deflection. By that definition anybody could use the n word and claim not to be racist by saying they don’t consider it a racist word and that they don’t consider white people to be superior to black people, and that the n word is a merely a word, and how can a word in and of itself be racist?

But that would clearly be absurd.

Trump was heavily involved in the birther movement which sought to de-legitimise the first black President.

The birther movement is undoubtedly racist.

Using hate speech against Mexicans and Muslims as he has done is quite obviously racist.

Trump’s comments about David Duke’s endorsement of him have been incredibly weasel and mealy mouthed.

What kind of a message do you think that gives to black people and other ethnic minorities?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/03/01/donald-trump-and-david-duke-for-the-record/

The Ku Klux Klan have announced a parade in celebration of Trump’s victory.

The Tories have a majority with 36% of the vote which is proportionally much more distorted than the number of seats Labour have compared to their vote share.

You must be a great man for a sesh when you’re not posting on here

Sid if championship hurling was 60 minutes Limerick would have won the 1994 all Ireland .

Irish people, as far as I am aware, are not calling for a jihad against the US (even if they were, nobody would take it seriously).

Mexico is not a race, it’s a country. Muslims are followers of Islam, not a race. What race is the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens?

Trump clarified his clumsy remarks during the campaign. Securing the borders to prevent violent criminals and terrorists entering the US is not racist. There is absolutely nothing that Trump has said that suggests he would support any discrimination against any minority currently living legally in the US.

Are you trying to argue that it’s not racist to differentiate against these groups of people because “they are not races”?

No. Do you mean discriminate?

What was your point then?

That racist is an incorrect term to use when discussing Trump’s stance on illegal immigrants and potential terrorists. He is definitely promoting differentiation and discrimination, but it’s nothing to do with race. What race was the jihadi paddy who was in the news last week?

1 Like

So you were trying to argue that it’s not racist to differentiate against these groups of people because “they are not races”?

No I’m arguing that racism isn’t even relevant in the conversation. One could argue for religious discrimination which at least is relevant.

You’re trying to redefine racism.

No you are. Racism is simply regarding one race as superior to another. Give me an example of where Trump has said anything that suggests white people are superior to any other race.