US Presidential Election 2020

Okay so now you know he’s not promising people free money but espousing universal basic income. That’s something I suppose… You muppet. Just admit you dont have a clue what policies hes pushing and leave it at that. I dont think you have a notion how politics works. If he can push his policy ideas in to the public consciousness thats job done. Not everything is a conspiracy.

I think it’s demonstrably true that you don’t have a notion how politics or anything else works, hence your interest in Yang

Universal Basic Income is free money with no expectation to work whatsoever

It’s a fantasy idea which would have all sorts of negative unintended consequences

Is the dole free money?

My understanding of the dole is that it is money that is designed to tide people over until they can find a job and can be withdrawn if the person is making no effort to find a job

That’s what you’d expect in any decent system - it’s a safety net

Universal basic income is no such thing - it’s an incentive to never work

It would be a woefully irresponsible use of public money and anybody who supports it needs their head examined

Fascist

1 Like

You’re getting very alt-right in your views lately, it must be related to supporting Elizabeth Warren, a Republican voter most of her adult life.

Welfare as it exists today doesn’t work, and effectively in many cases is free money for doing nothing and incentivizes people to do nothing. Yang’s proposal is a very basic version of UBI, but it brings the idea into the public square for debate which is good. I think most people once they understand the concept better would support low income workers being subsidized up to a living wage by the government. It beats raising the minimum wage to $15 as that would put a lot of small businesses out of business. There are tens of millions employed in the US in service industries that have very thin margins, mandating an effective doubling of the minimum wage would be counterproductive as it would result in fewer jobs or fewer businesses.

It will have to be done in time anyway as automation, robotics and AI will replace most low income jobs and many well paying jobs.

You say welfare as a safety net doesn’t incentivise work

Yet mass welfare that specifically incentivises against work is better

Looooollllzzz

I never had you down as a communist

You don’t understand the idea of Universal Basic Income, do some research.

Most people who can work want to work, the numbers of people working massively outnumbers those on the dole. The issue is that in a service economy as most of the developed world now is, most jobs are minimum wage and low income workers struggle to make ends meet or have any decent standard of living. So you have two options, mandate a minimum wage increase to say $15 an hour, or have the government make up the difference. I’ve explained why the first idea is bad one.

The great majority of people who would benefit from UBI are low income workers, not people who don’t want to work. There’s little that can be done about the latter group anyway.

I do understand it which is why I can see it’s a nonsense, it’s actual communism though it’s also an idea which has been bizarrely pushed by the far right and crackpot right-wing economists like Friedman

Universal basic income would massively increase the amount of people who don’t want to work

And that’s a best case scenario

More realistically you’re looking at massive wage inflation because why would people work if they’re getting enough free money and don’t need to work

Businesses wouldn’t and couldn’t function because they wouldn’t be able to pay those wages

So you get a massive death spiral in the economy

The cost of a universal basic income would be astronomical, in Ireland’s case you’re talking 30 or 40 billion, maybe much more as prices would not be stable

That means no public services that actually benefit society

But that was what Friedman wanted

Also such a system cannot exist in isolation in one country, especially within the European Union

Universal Basic Income is mainly being pushed by the left and has much more support on the left than the right, truly bizarre from you. I can only conclude that anything that is supported by any right or right leaning individuals is inherently wrong in your view and must be labelled as fascist, etc.

You’re worried about “massive wage inflation” from a program where the government tops up the wages of low income workers to a living wage, but yet support candidates who are calling for a doubling in the minimum wage, which would have a much bigger impact on wage inflation and drive countless small businesses out of business. Think that through.

I’ve no idea where you got your numbers from for Ireland. Ireland has a working population of 2.2 million, and the minimum wage is about 10 Euro. Let’s say a living wage is 15 Euro an hour, you would have to top up low income individuals to 15. Whatever the cost of that, it’s not 30-40 billion, given most workers earn more than 10/hour and a lot earn much more than 15/hour. Back of the envelope I would say it would cost about 5 billion, money well spent imo as it’s money that goes back into the economy and should also reduce welfare programs. Ireland’s spending budget is north of 60 billion already, so 5 billion it’s not that big a number.

Again, I think you’re missing the fact that most people want to work and also work towards higher income jobs during their work lives. The reality is it’s hard for unskilled younger people nowadays to earn a living wage, nothing wrong with giving them a helping hand. I agree it cannot be a disincentive to work, but for most people it wouldn’t be.

I didn’t call anything fascist, but nice straw man.

Universal basic income by definition is universal.

There are 3.18 million people of working age in Ireland - ie. aged 15 to 64.

Current social welfare payment is €203 per week. A basic income by definition cannot be below that.

203 x 52 x 3.18m = 33.568 billion.

And that’s your basic starting point. It doesn’t include pensions, it doesn’t include child benefit or any other form of social welfare payment.

The current social welfare budget is €20.5bn.

Universal basic income is just another way of redistributing wealth towards the richest and a grossly inefficient managing of resources at the expense of health, education, transport, housing and other vital state services.

You’re some crank. :joy:

Pick apart the figures there, so.

My figures for Ireland are directly equivalent to what Yang is proposing in the US, by the way - he’s proposing $12k per citizen.

Another problem with the proposal is you can’t test it, by definition - it could only be tested with a full roll out - because you can’t replicate the conditions it would be rolled out in, or replicate the intricacies and idiosyncracies of the human behaviour of millions of people, in any trial.

In Ireland you’d be looking at a total social welfare budget well in excesss of €40 billion at least, possibly over €50 billion, and that’s without the unintended consequences.

Total misrepresentation of what I’m talking about and a major fail on basic math.

1 million of your working age number are in school, in college, or living with their parents, so exclude them and you are dealing with a 2.2 million working population, some of whom need help. Most of that 2.2 million have a livable wage, as in working and earning more than 15/hour, in many cases much more. I don’t know what percentage of workers are on minimum wage in Ireland but in the US it is less than 5%. Nobody sensible is suggesting giving 1000 a month to Jeff Bezos or the richest in Ireland who don’t need it. Universal Basic Income by it’s very definition is targeted towards those on low income, not the broad population, most of whom don’t need it.

How the fuck can a universal basic income redistribute wealth to the rich? Even by your standards this is nonsensical. It is way to provide a living wage to low income workers, nothing more, nothing less. The fact you would argue against it demonstrates you have no regard for working people, your interest is in ideology that has been proven over and over to fail.

@sidney has hit the nail on the head here. It’s a preposterous idea that would actually mince the economy. By it’s definition it’s not means tested so would have to be paid to people who don’t need it, would drive inflation bananas and who the fuck would do a menial low paid job if they got paid this for free. Sidney has schooled the yank again.

Aren’t you the fella who sells half his cows for next to nothing and gives the other half away for free? I’d imagine economics aren’t your strong point.

3 Likes

Sure you meet all sorts on TFK. There’s lads who go for gay swims at midnight and fill vending machines in schools at noon.

1 Like

As I understand it you only give it to people who are earning below a certain figure to top them up to a certain figure. People already earning the living income don’t get the top up. It would obviously have to be means tested which would be a complicated process. “By definition it’s not means tested”, WTF are you talking about, as if you’ve a fucking notion.

It would result in significant inflation, I don’t know if it’s a good idea or not, but you’re talking complete shite.

1 Like

Your first problem is you don’t understand what the word “universal” means

That’s where all the other problems with your post stem from

What you’re talking about there isn’t “universal basic income”

Tour de France from @Sidney here :clap:

2 Likes