Vigilante Groups/Community Policing

I was reading there of a gang that had been terrorising Cavan Town, they called themselves TCRG, and had been involved in a number of serious incidents (beatings, stabbing etc). The local Gardai were seemingly powerless/unwilling to stop them and the odd time any of them did end up in court the judge was letting them out on bail, suspended sentences etc.

Eventually a few weeks ago the 32 County Sovereignty Committee issued a statement saying they had been contacted by fed up residents in the town and would be taking the issue into their own hands. They have since released another statement saying they had spoken to the parents of the individuals involved and that the 5 man ring leaders of the gang had now left Cavan town and the gang was disbanded.

Would people here be for or against this action?

I would have to say I’m in favour of it. Coming from a town that has been plauged by anti-social behaviour in recent years, and where the Gardai have no interest in tackling the problem, I would love to see a serious vigilante/republican group haul these boys aside and let them know if they continue there action they will be severely punished.

It has “worked” in number of towns in north Kerry/West Limerick in recent months, where families from the regeneration project have started to cause serious problems in the towns they have been rehoused in.

Obviously this flies in the face of normal law & order and could lead to anarchy, but when the Gardai seem to be doing nothing then you cannot expect people to sit idly by while they becoming prisoners in their own homes.

Now, anybody know where I could get a sack of doorknobs?

[quote=“The Runt”]I was reading there of a gang that had been terrorising Cavan Town, they called themselves TCRG, and had been involved in a number of serious incidents (beatings, stabbing etc). The local Gardai were seemingly powerless/unwilling to stop them and the odd time any of them did end up in court the judge was letting them out on bail, suspended sentences etc.

Eventually a few weeks ago the 32 County Sovereignty Committee issued a statement saying they had been contacted by fed up residents in the town and would be taking the issue into their own hands. They have since released another statement saying they had spoken to the parents of the individuals involved and that the 5 man ring leaders of the gang had now left Cavan town and the gang was disbanded.

I would have to say I’m in favour of it. Coming from a town that has been plauged by anti-social behaviour in recent years, and where the Gardai have no interest in tackling the problem, I would love to see a serious vigilante/republican group haul these boys aside and let them know if they continue there action they will be severely punished.

It has “worked” in number of towns in north Kerry/West Limerick in recent months, where families from the regeneration project have started to cause serious problems in the towns they have been rehoused in.

Obviously this flies in the face of normal law & order and could lead to anarchy, but when the Gardai seem to be doing nothing then you cannot expect people to sit idly by while they becoming prisoners in their own homes.

Now, anybody know where I could get a sack of doorknobs?[/quote]

Against.

The Gardai have their faults of course, but you can’t have the likes of that going on.

[quote=“The Runt”]I was reading there of a gang that had been terrorising Cavan Town, they called themselves TCRG, and had been involved in a number of serious incidents (beatings, stabbing etc). The local Gardai were seemingly powerless/unwilling to stop them and the odd time any of them did end up in court the judge was letting them out on bail, suspended sentences etc.

Now, anybody know where I could get a sack of doorknobs?[/quote]

http://www.wwagallery.com/images/SIM/SIMCCS5.jpg

You’re an idiot.

Who are you talking too? Choose your next words carefully…

Watch it sonny…

Me or Flano?

Better not have been me. Or else.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Against.

The Gardai have their faults of course, but you can’t have the likes of that going on.[/quote]

It worked didn’t it? From the reports I read of Cavan town, there had been numerous assaults on innocent people, burgalries, stabbings and damage to property. The Gardai had ample time to deal with these thugs and for whatever reason were unable to. The people of the town were living in fear, along came a group who were not tied to any code of conduct, and managed to solve the problem.

I don’t think there will be too many people in Cavan complaining about it.

The Gards don’t give a shit about real crime. In fact the bosses will be more eager to catch the vigilantes here than the original transgessors.

Fair play to this crowd I say. Could do with them in a lot more towns.

an eye for an eye…:thumbsup:

[quote=“The Runt”]It worked didn’t it? From the reports I read of Cavan town, there had been numerous assaults on innocent people, burgalries, stabbings and damage to property. The Gardai had ample time to deal with these thugs and for whatever reason were unable to. The people of the town were living in fear, along came a group who were not tied to any code of conduct, and managed to solve the problem.

I don’t think there will be too many people in Cavan complaining about it.[/quote]

lets see what they have to say when the 32 CSM boys have settled into their town.

I want a fooking answer!

hey diddle diddle
the pigs are on the fiddle
& the pushers are over the moon

community policing is the way forward - the free state swines have failed us

[quote=“Special Olympiakos”]The Gards don’t give a shit about real crime. In fact the bosses will be more eager to catch the vigilantes here than the original transgessors.

Fair play to this crowd I say. Could do with them in a lot more towns.[/quote]

True, if you or I do something half dodgy the cops will be all over us because we’d be seen as soft touchs. They have no interest in dealing with people who will laugh in their faces and ignore them.

Joe Duffy or the lad who is standing in for Joe was on about this yesterday, all sorts of misfortunate bastards who had absolute scum moving in next door who terrorised them for months and years while the cops would do nothing.

If the act was itself a one off event and nothing else came of it you could maybe argue there is something too it. However, militant hardline Republicanism has it’s own side effects unfortunately. Very easy to applaud it and say ‘jesus that’s great stuff’, like the Padraig Nally thing, but it’s obviously a potentially disastrous thing to have in society.

Travis Bickle?

Travis was like Batman. No negative side effects. The streets needed cleaning.

I could be wrong here but I think Farmer may have been quoting that episode.

Homer: OK, we’ve got the secret vigilante handshake. Now we need code
names. I’ll be Cue-Ball, Skinner can be Eight-Ball, Barney will
be Twelve-Ball, and Moe, you can be Cue-Ball.
Moe: You’re an idiot.

I’m in favour of violence in most situations, but definitely in this one anyway.