Vigilantism

What are people’s opinions morally and legally on vigilantism?

Incredible recent amount of break-ins around area I live and further.

Band on and Ballincollig hinterlands have, at night, a total of 4 cops on duty. Sometimes that includes for Ballincollig some covering of Blarney/North side.
4 cops for 40-60,000 people.

Local cops believe it’s targeted partly on affluence partly on this weak presence.

Local man suggested the other day to me about nightly monitoring in groups by local men. He was being quite low key and PC and careful about it but there was absolutely something unsaid there.

When is enough enough?

I believe cops have privately said it’s part of the answer short term as they are so grossly under manned.

On one level i’m all for it. But can it work? Locally at least?

rebrand it as community policing mate

1 Like

Call it a neighbourhood watch group and away ya go.

1 Like

Neighbourhood Watch clearly does not work.

huh?

What you are suggesting already exists.

And it’s a waste of time

Get the Provos in to look after it. The Guards wouldn’t be long about establishing a presence on the streets then.

Years ago when the Castletroy metallers were wreaking havoc in the suburbs of Limerick, the Gardai privately suggested to members of the community that this might be the solution.

A group were brought in and dealt with the problem apparently, although the real reason this gang came to an end was when one of them got decapitated in a motorcycle accident

They are dead sure.

Fighting themselves up in the northside.

And possibly involved

I’m suggesting calling it by a more palatable name " community policing "

that’s all

I’m not sure what holding a vigil would do?

Oh ya.

But i’m not looking for names.

Branding comes down the road. Need a few stories first

Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your grandma, she shouldn’t have mouthed off like that!

4 Likes

we marched on pushers house in darndale before

then the police arrested mad johnny

And the explosion of ecstasy as a recreational drug…

Which one was that again, horse?

There was a local guy who was causing havoc up around NCW a few years back.
A few victims or friends of victims banded together, bundled your man into the back of a van and ended up throwing him off a railway bridge.

1 Like

A lot of this is down to lads working every hour of the day and not having a bit of time to knock around the house and garden and generally nose and snoop on neighbours. There is a big societal cost to this way of life.

3 Likes

I’d be in favour of it yes. As we’ve seen time and time again, there is no law enforcement in this country

1 Like

:grinning:

You’re not gonna let this one go …

As they say in Limerick, one mans vigilantism is another mans pogrom

1 Like