Vuelta Espana 2013

The Vuelta starts tomorrow. Ireland’s Daniel Martin (40/1) should lead Garmin Sharp for the duration of the tour.

Nicolas Roche (80/1) had hoped to lead Team Saxo-Tinkoff but that appears to have been given to Roman Kreuziger (50/1)

The winner should be from Nibali, Rodriguez and Valverde but a well rested Samuel Sanchez may want to go out on a high for Euskaltel.

Roche optimistic on his chances in today’s Indo

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/nicolas-roche-id-be-disappointed-if-i-didnt-finish-in-the-top-10-or-better-29524647.html

When the Tour was on I heard both Stephen and Laurence Roche say Nicholas would be team leader for the Vuelta, I’m sure they implied it was a trade off for doing the donkey work in the tour. Was that wishful thinking or did something change in the team?

Contador’s other sidekick in the Tour de France, Kreuziger, was far more impressive than Roche. Roche never really lasted the course in any of the bigger mountain stages, whereas Kreuziger finished in the top 5 overall, just one place behind the team leader.
I’m no expert but Roche, unlike his cousin, just doesn’t seem to have it

Roche has attacked in a small group on the last hill. Less than a 500m to go

Roche goes for it - he has it!!!

What a win for Roche!!!

With time bonuses he could be in the leaders Red Jersey tonight. What a well timed attack

Dan Martin finished 11th 14 seconds behind his cousin.

[quote=“corner back, post: 821473, member: 1572”]
I’m no expert but Roche, unlike his cousin, just doesn’t seem to have it[/quote]

You got that part right anyhow.

Good for Nico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjjdmSBHrYk

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 822148, member: 129”]You got that part right anyhow.

Good for Nico.[/quote]

Missed this. :oops:

Didn’t think he had it in him. Must have picked up a few tips from Contador.

Highlights on Eurosport at 11 tonight.

[quote=“corner back, post: 822195, member: 1572”]Missed this. :oops:

Didn’t think he had it in him. Must have picked up a few tips from Contador.

Highlights on Eurosport at 11 tonight.[/quote]

He sure rode away very strongly but at the same time he’s had top 10 finishes in the Tour so his class cannot be doubted, even if he does keep some questionable company.

Sickening cheerleading.

I don’t recall you extending the same courtesy to riders from other nations. Nico has chosen the route he wants to go down and with that path comes scepticism and suspicion.

I particularly liked the bit where because he’s had a few top 10 Tour finishes and being Irish means he cannot be doubted.

Oh alright then.

Why are people getting so excited about a French guy winning a stage?

Well, I hated that he switched to Saxo-Tinkoff originally but he hasn’t become a much stronger rider suddenly, and, after being strong in the Tour before with AG2R, where we probably all agree that he was clean(ish), I think it’s good to see that he lost vast chunks of time on the Tour and yesterday was his first win for 2 years or so. Now, if he rides like a motorbike for the next three weeks and wins the Vuelta pulling up, then I will revise this opinion…
I think today’s stage is quite hard (?) so it’ll be interesting to see how much yesterday took out of him.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 822330, member: 180”]I particularly liked the bit where because he’s had a few top 10 Tour finishes and being Irish means he cannot be doubted.

Oh alright then.[/quote]

Read my post again, that’s not what I said. He has class. The fact he has only 8 wins at the age of 29 means a lot too.

He also scored the best possible mark on the UCI traffic light system a few years back, iirc.

Just because he seems like a bit of a retard and went and signed for Riis, doesn’t mean he should be pilloried on here.

Of course it does.

The anti-irish sentiment on here is sickening.