Warren Gatland Appreciation Thread

Did an amazing job with Wales. Future NZ coach?

He underachieved with wales in my opinion. Heā€™s absolutely hated in New Zealand too. Pretty sure theyā€™ve called out his style on multiple times. Heā€™d have to probably coach a super rugby franchise first to have any chance.

A cert

Fucks sake. You really double down on your absolute drivel.

Just because I know more than you donā€™t get so upset.

Theyā€™d have mixed views on Gatland in Wales. Wales have a very demanding rugby public. They were the preeminent international team in European rugby for the guts of a century up until the early 1980ā€™s when the collapse of the steel industry and the mass exodus to rugby league decimated the Welsh game. The feeling in Wales was when rugby went professional, the old order would be restored. It took a few years to bed down put when the first Grand Slam since 1978 was won under Mike Ruddock in 2005, the view was they were back in their rightful position to stay.

Gatland was under pressure coming into this season, not having won a Championship since 2012 under his stewardship. Even when they won the Grand Slam this year, there were mutterings from the Welsh rugby public that only Italy scored more tries. Thereā€™s an expectation in Wales, not only that they win, but they win in style like the team of the 1970ā€™s did.

I watched the match this morning, with a mate from Wales. He played through all the grades for Wales, bar senior and lined out for Llanelli for a few years at the end of the amateur era. He was like a dog after the match. His parting comment to me was, thatā€™s two semi finals under Gatland that weā€™ve fucked away, when we had the better team and players.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure where the gatland love is coming from on here. Heā€™s failed miserably against the south hemispheres side also as Wales manager. He was blessed to meet ireland in 2011 and France in 2019 in World Cup 1/4 finals. His style of play is awful too. Very little ambition. Overall I think heā€™s been a failure.

It strikes me that its mostly the rugby once every four years soccer crew that are big into Gatland here. The same crowd are highly critical of what they perceive as an attritional style of play from Ireland under Coach Schmidt and a high injury count going into the 2015 quarter final against Argentina which scuppered prospects of an Ireland win.

Odd if thatā€™s their line of attack, that thereā€™s no comment on Liam Williams getting injured in training during the week, or Talupe Faletau and Cory Hill injured in training camp before the tournament, or the likes of George North, Gareth Anscombe, Thomas Frances, Josh Navidi, Fox Davies getting crocked either before or during todayā€™s match. A few of those bodies available and Wales would have closed that out this morning.

Two World Cup semi finals - what would the IRFU give for a coach like that?

2 Likes

If Ireland had faced France in the quarter final theyā€™d have probably won. Donā€™t think a World Cup semi final is worth much to them. Either win it out or shut up is my mantra.

Jamie Roberts and warburton were crocked for a finish too under gatland. Lydiate another fellamruined by injuries.

Yeah, shur whatā€™s a World Cup semi final, practically the same as a quarter final.

He didnā€™t even manage to reach the quarter-finals when he managed Ireland

I referenced that last week. Of the seven men that have coached Ireland at a rugby World Cup, Gatland is the only one who failed to make a quarter final.

Hampered by the worst generation of players ireland have had in decades

Wood, Oā€™Driscoll etc?

Thatā€™s a serious clamping for @myboyblue. He should stick to talking to himself on the Laois GAA thread.

There is some truth to that of course but the mid 2000s were far worse. We hadnā€™t sorted out our provincial system then of course.

But he was his own worst enemy. He didnā€™t modernize his methods for the time. That ultimately got him sacked. He evolved after of course and bringing on board Shaun Edwards was a career masterstroke.

Edwards was a game changer. He added that rugby league defensive to wasps.

1 Like

The NZ system doesnā€™t make that so. He is doing the right thing in going back to the Chiefs of course.