Warren Gatland Appreciation Thread

He got a lovely cheer from a very appreciative Welsh crowd when his face came up on the big screen, great to see. Proper rugby people the Welsh.

Gatty effectively got sacked for losing 32-10 to a bottom of the table Scotland side which cost Ireland a Grand Slam in 2001.

Warrenball > Shitball

Hero.

Good one mate

Joe Schidt.

Thank you Warren

Great manager.

To think they sacked him.

Cringe for Sean O’Brien

Gatland started off his post match interview stating “we didn’t look too tired did we!?” The interviewer suggested it was in response to something Eddie Jones said and Gatland was too much of a gent to comment further.

Gatty was being slaughtered by so called “knowledgeable” rugby posters here last year. He apparently was nothing compared to Joe Schmidt.

That’s 14 test victories in a row now for Wales.

Thankfully at least one knowledgeable poster was much less doubtful as to Gatty’s merits as a world class coach.

The following posts are looking fairly prescient now. Wales may have just won a Grand Slam, but they also have a history of raising their game even further for a World Cup.

2 Likes

I’ve been a long time admirer of Gatty myself. @gilgamboa was blinded by his hatred

1 Like

Gatty was getting a good bit of stick in Wales for a few years. They hadn’t won a Championship under him since 2012, I think there was possibly only the one second place finish last year and a less than stellar record against Southern Hemisphere opposition. They do have a nice World Cup draw and unlike Ireland it’s a younger age profile and they’re not heavily reliant on players well in to their 30’s.

Not the greatest Welsh performance today, but they’re in the semi-finals and that’s all that matters

I do hate to do this again, but…

4 Likes

Ooft

Ireland have never recovered from prematurely sacking Gats.

2 World Cup semi finals for him now from three tournaments, Ireland still 0 from 9.

1 Like

wtf were the irfu at?

Could it actually be that the lauded IRFU player welfare system is ultimately counter productive? It might be beneficial in February/March when well rested Irish players come up against fatigued opponents in the Six Nations, but maybe those guys are battle hardened and better able to cope with 7 successive weeks of tournament rubby come world cup time?

1 Like

It’s a bit of a conundrum @Bandage